Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the middle of my first game and a situation has arisen for which I am unclear how to handle, RAW.

I have a single submarine that is attacking a single merchant ship - no other ships are on the tactical map. The merchant ship has sustained a heavy loss, dropping its speed to 0. I want to move my sub into the same space - range 0 - to use my gun to finish off the merchant ship. When at a range of 0, merchants perform ram on surfaced subs. However, if the merchant's speed is 0, would this still be the case? It seems to me that a dead-in-the-water ship would not be able to ram.

Thank you for any clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A strict reading of the rules says that the merchant ship will perform a ramming attempt at any surfaced sub at Range 0 with no other clauses. However, even allowing that "Speed 0" may still indicate that the merchant may not be totally dead in the water and have a knot or two of speed, I'd still think an operational sub would be able to evade an incredibly-slow ramming attempt.

Sounds like this is an omission in the rules and I'd go with common sense ruling of saying that the merchant with a speed of 0 cannot ram, especially considering that the ram is automatically successful and requires you to draw for damage. Seems unreasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.