Subject: Revised Solo/Coop rules questions - After playing first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I just played my first game, a 1 Faction attempt at the new solo/coop rules. I have a question in a different thread, and until that gets answered, I'm going to assume that damage tokens released from one station (after placing a disintegration token there) can immediately be used at another station. But during my play, 3 more questions arose:

1. The rules state that when a double is rolled on the Mining die, you have 3 options. One of those options is as follows:

Revised Solo Rules wrote:
Move the Disintegration token backward one space on the Neutronium Track. (If on the $1 space, it cannot move backward.)

What is meant by "$1 space"? There are three $1 spaces on the track, so do I take it to really mean if on the first track space?

2. Do undefended attacks on the Solar Array move Crew back one space AND place a damage token? It is not clear from the rules whether damage is only placed when there are no crew on the Solar Array, and crew movement if there is, or both.

3. If I use the Rover to mine at a damaged station, do I have to repair it? I would assume no, as a previous ruling for the Competitive game suggested that Rover involved no actual movement, and so in the solo game, the roving crew is not "placed" on the new mining station.

BTW, I played on Normal difficulty, and won. I didn't ever feel under that much pressure. It's possible less starting cash would make it tougher, but I managed to keep the Disintegration Track under control via Solar sales. This meant that it never cost me more than 2 credits to repair damage. I'll hold off on a rating until I play with other Faction counts, and harder difficulty, but with a clean up of the rules text (not written extremely clearly), it could be a decent game. The components are certainly nice.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BLAMMO!
mb
Hi Colin, thanks for the feedback and questions. Here are some clarifications:

When damage tokens are released from a station through repair or from disintegration, they are immediately available to be placed elsewhere as needed.

ColintheFlea wrote:
OK, so I just played my first game, a 1 Faction attempt at the new solo/coop rules. I have a question in a different thread, and until that gets answered, I'm going to assume that damage tokens released from one station (after placing a disintegration token there) can immediately be used at another station. But during my play, 3 more questions arose:

1. The rules state that when a double is rolled on the Mining die, you have 3 options. One of those options is as follows:

Revised Solo Rules wrote:
Move the Disintegration token backward one space on the Neutronium Track. (If on the $1 space, it cannot move backward.)

What is meant by "$1 space"? There are three $1 spaces on the track, so do I take it to really mean if on the first track space?

Correct, there are three spaces on the track with a value of $1, but this is meant to indicate the first (star-shaped) spot. i.e. - you can't reduce beyond the starting spot.

ColintheFlea wrote:

2. Do undefended attacks on the Solar Array move Crew back one space AND place a damage token? It is not clear from the rules whether damage is only placed when there are no crew on the Solar Array, and crew movement if there is, or both.

Correct, undefended attacks on the Solar Array do move Crew back and the Solar Array station gains a damage token. This is similar to other stations getting attacked where the Crew must flee. However, instead of fleeing completely, the Crew just move back one space if possible.

ColintheFlea wrote:

3. If I use the Rover to mine at a damaged station, do I have to repair it? I would assume no, as a previous ruling for the Competitive game suggested that Rover involved no actual movement, and so in the solo game, the roving crew is not "placed" on the new mining station.

Correct, when using Rover, you are not residing on the adjacent spaces, you are essentially reaching over to them (digging underneath). If a station is damaged, you may use Rover to access that station. However, you may not place a Crew token on a station that is damaged.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
ColintheFlea wrote:

Correct, when using Rover, you are not residing on the adjacent spaces, you are essentially reaching over to them (digging underneath). If a station is damaged, you may use Rover to access that station. However, you may not place a Crew token on a station that is damaged.

Hope that helps!

Great, thanks for clarifying. Just one follow up. In the sentence I bolded, did you mean disintegrated, rather than damaged, i.e. you cannot rove onto a disintegrated station, in order to access the resources there?

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BLAMMO!
mb
ColintheFlea wrote:

Great, thanks for clarifying. Just one follow up. In the sentence I bolded, did you mean disintegrated, rather than damaged, i.e. you cannot rove onto a disintegrated station, in order to access the resources there?

Thanks,

Colin

That statement was in regards to placing Crew, but you bring up a good question about using Rover. When placing Crew, disintegration stations are essentially off limits and out of play. Damaged stations are off limits from placing Crew until they are repaired. However, you may still use the Rover ability to mine a damaged station from an adjacent station. That said, you may not use Rover to mine resources on a disintegrated station because that station is completely obliterated. It may be worth removing any associated resources when a station is disintegrated since the are no longer attainable once the station has been disintegrated.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
"Courage isn't the matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - 3rd Doctor
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb

ColintheFlea wrote:
BTW, I played on Normal difficulty, and won. I didn't ever feel under that much pressure. It's possible less starting cash would make it tougher, but I managed to keep the Disintegration Track under control via Solar sales. This meant that it never cost me more than 2 credits to repair damage. I'll hold off on a rating until I play with other Faction counts, and harder difficulty, but with a clean up of the rules text (not written extremely clearly), it could be a decent game. The components are certainly nice.

I had the same experience on my first game. But I realized that I forgot 2 littles things:

You must move the disintagration token every time you roll the neutronium die and also every time you prevent an attack from the marauders.

On my second game (normal difficulty), things got more challenging... But sometimes, the dice just do not want to cooperate! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metabulis wrote:

ColintheFlea wrote:

I had the same experience on my first game. But I realized that I forgot 2 littles things:

You must move the disintagration token every time you roll the neutronium die and also every time you prevent an attack from the marauders.

On my second game (normal difficulty), things got more challenging... But sometimes, the dice just do not want to cooperate! shake

Actually, I got both of those correct. In fact, after a few attempts at Extreme level, where I would lock myself out of legal moves (damage on all 3 Export spaces and no cash to remove them), I managed to win twice in a row. I'll try a couple more times tonight, but my guess is that the solo game (at least using 1 faction) is semi-solvable, in that the same strategy will lead to wins every time. In my 2 wins, I won fairly easily. It just took a couple more rounds than a Hard or Very Hard game.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update. I played Extreme level again, and won. This was my 3rd straight win at Extreme using one faction. It seems as long as you sit a crew on the 3x Export spot (and keeping a Neutronium in stock), you can pretty much guarantee a win. This time, I was on the 8-cost spot on the track, with no disintegrated stations, so well within the limits. I didn't even buy any of the powerful Research cards.

I'll maybe try a 2 or 3 faction game, just to see if it makes a difference, but I wouldn't expect so.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me 3 attempts, but I beat Extreme with 2 factions. I think at this point, it's time to call it a day. I've not tried it in competitive mode (I mainly play solo), but I think the lack of competition for the most powerful spaces means that it's reasonably easy to win in solo/coop mode. I should probably have researched it a little more before buying, so that's on me. It's probably much better when there is fierce competition for spots on the board.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.