5 Posts

Imperium» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another way to make capital ships a better buy. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Part of the problem with BB & B is that they only get 1 shot so they can only hit 1 ship per round.

Giving capital ships "Secondary Armament".
1] When you build a capital ship you can build secondary armament into it.
. . a] A BB can have the equivalent of a CL and a B & B2 can have the equivalent of a DD built into it. Build and add a 2nd counter to the capital ship, as a pair.
. . b] The resulting ship still takes the normal time to build.
. . c] It is 1 ship. It has a shield strength of 7, 8 or 9. It pays 5 or 6 for Maint.
. . d] In battle the 1st hit destroys the CL or DD counter (remove it), the 2nd hit damages the shields, a 3rd hit destroys the capital ship.
. . e] When paying for Maint. at a world you can buy a new "Secondary Armament counter" to reform the pair. Note there is no wait. What you are paying for is repairing what was damaged.
. . f] In battle both the capital ship and the CL or DD counter can fire using the rules you are using. So, if BB can fire at any un-screened ship then the CL or DD must still only fire at the ships the BB is paired with.
. . g] You will have to decide if any BB or B can add a secondary armament counter. If only those built that way then you will have to only have 1 type at a time. If yes, then it is simpler.
. . h] This might be a 4th war new tech for the Terrans and only the Terrans. If so then in the 3rd peace they can upgrade all their capital ships by buying them a 2nd counter during the peace.

People might want to give cruisers a 2nd step also. See the reply below for my rules for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even easier: Secondary Armament is half value of the primary, round down.

And then if you want to REALLY add value, allow Secondary armament to engage shielded ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Even easier: Secondary Armament is half value of the primary, round down.

And then if you want to REALLY add value, allow Secondary armament to engage shielded ships.

Does "shielded ships" equal "screened ships"?

My idea gives the BB an extra step.
My idea adds to the BB's cost.
My idea is somewhat less than half weapon power.
My idea "gives" you an extra counter to remind you how strong it is and that it is there.

I don't like the idea of letting ships fire at screened ships. This is why I let ships/TR & MS hide behind/inside the shields of ships with a shield strength of 5 or more. This lets you have fewer ships [meaning you bought more expensive ships] and still be able to avoid your troops being destroyed on their transports without wasting/losing a whole movement phase to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant screened. I'm also looking for something easy to remember, which doesn't necessarily make it "better" as a solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
After further thought – Someone might want to extend this idea to cruisers; CS, CR & CA; not CL.
These cruisers don't give you that much more power considering their cost & fairly large Maint.#.
They could use some help. The Terran CR being a major exception.

They also get 1 small ship-like step as their Secondary Armament.
They are destroyed with the 2nd hit, though.
Otherwise they're rules are just like for capital ships.

The CS can get a Scout. All CS built during the 1st war can not be built with a SC as 2nd Arm., they can not be upgraded during the 1st Peace either. If you want CS with 2nd Arm. you might need to scrap the ones you have. See gobbledygook below.
The CR & CA can get a FTR, but it costs $2 not $1.

Notice that no Terran ship can get their Missileboat. Maybe their BB can or the CL, Terrans choice.
This "Missileboat" would not suffer from a low shield strength.

[New gobbledygook for the Terran CS.
In the 1st war it is as I said a CL hull with just missiles and shields. There is no room for a secondary armament, though. It has a high M# because of the rush design job and the large amount of systems in a small hull.
During the 1st Peace the Terrans design a proper CS and now it can have the secondary armament.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.