29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Are there still CCG's where I can buy packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Peulen
msg tools
So I'm looking for a new ccg. We played magic from about 4th edition on. We started Star Wars ccg from the beginning. We started Game of Thrones from the beginning. Looking for something new to start with Christmas presents for two or three friends and myself. Packs and drafting and some chance are all important. The LCG format isn't very interesting.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokémon and Yu Gi Oh. Also Star Wars Destiny has cards and dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Magic: The Gathering is still going strong.

Also, some non-collectible card games are designed to support drafting, such as Epic Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peulen
msg tools
We are old. Those two are too young for us. Bought starter decks of destiny to play with my daughters. Fun game but could never get booster decks available anywhere with either of the first two sets and gave up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peulen
msg tools
Stopped playing MTG years ago. Looking for something new.

Just found metax justice league. Looks fairly new. Anyone know anything about that?

Thrones was great because we could play three player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Porknz wrote:
We are old. Those two are too young for us. Bought starter decks of destiny to play with my daughters. Fun game but could never get booster decks available anywhere with either of the first two sets and gave up.

Boosters are readily available now, as is the new 2 player starter. Plus a new main set is coming out soon with new starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Porknz wrote:
Stopped playing MTG years ago. Looking for something new.

How would you feel about playing a “dead” CCG for which new cards are no longer being printed, but are still available for purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peulen
msg tools
I can do that with star wars and thrones. I'm more looking for the next thing coming out or that came out in the last year so that I can start with something that has new sets still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Freita
Germany
Bielefeld
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can stand the images (anime): Force of Will. Quite interesting take on CCG. Easy to learn if you know Magic, but some differences; no mana screw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yeah...in that case, I think the answer to the question in the title may be "no". The CCG format was trendy in the 90s, but the market seems to have largely moved away from it in favor of LCGs except for a few standbys which it seems you are familiar with and not interested in. The only "recently" launched collectible games that I know of are Destiny (which didn't seem to work for you) and Dice Masters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If you aren't locked into a pure CCG, check out Dice Masters. Tons of new material

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Munchkin CCG is coming out soon, forgot about that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you and your friends are looking for a great multiplayer CCG for 3-4 player games, then I heartily recommend Shadowfist, originally from 1995.

It just failed to reach its recent Kickstarter goal, but packs can be bought direct from the the company. The company is trying to keep it alive (originally produced by Daedalus and died, rebooted by Z-Man, then kept alive by a new company Inner Kingdoms).

Pre-constructed starter packs make a great Christmas present to try out the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peulen
msg tools
I'll Google dicemasters. Saw munchkin and we've played that at my boardgame club at school quite a bit, but as soon as it described the lying part, that doesn't seem like our type of mechanic.

Saw Force of Will and had that reaction to the anime as well. Maybe I'll look more into that if the game itself is worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peulen
msg tools
Wish I'd seen the Kickstarter. That looks good. Love the game play. Sounds very much like game of thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Orosz
United States
Wickliffe
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dice Masters

Dragon Ball Z TCG (2014 edition) is another option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MLP:CCG. New set just pre-released.
Surprisingly not aimed at the market you would think. It sounds all fluffy & nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Porknz wrote:
I can do that with star wars and thrones. I'm more looking for the next thing coming out or that came out in the last year so that I can start with something that has new sets still.

SW Destiny really does fit your criteria except for the supply problems--something MTG dealt with in its early years too. I guess the supply problems I read about recently were overblown. Looks like the "two-player game" boxes are easy to come by.

Personally, I dropped the game because of a lack of live opponents. Lots of people at tournaments (I played some of those), lots of people on Tabletop Simulator, but little live casual or practice play. Oddly I never had this problem with Netrunner or the Star Wars LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Porknz wrote:
I'm more looking for the next thing coming out or that came out in the last year so that I can start with something that has new sets still.

Star Wars: Destiny is the answer here. It came out almost exactly a year ago, and the supply problems have all but vanished. It's readily available at every LGS I've been to in my area. You also don't even need the oldest sets as they're being rotated out soon (tho if you still have the older sets you can use them in one of the formats). If you're just looking to play casually than anything you get will be good.

It's such a fantastic game.

New sets are coming out every quarter, with new starter sets being released in the upcoming set. Jump in, the water's expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Destiny again. There are new draft sets about to be released in December with draft rules and everything.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/16/rivals...

To save money as a casual player I am going to randomly repackage my cards in baggies with one “dice” card per pack. Or maybe deal them out in some other non-official draft format. The point is you don’t need to buy so many packs each time you game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peulen
msg tools
Maybe I'll give it a look again to play with my daughters, but I need something more complicated than civil war era combat for me and my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peulen
msg tools
I like CCG's. I don't like LCG's. What does the term deck building game mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Porknz wrote:
I like CCG's. I don't like LCG's. What does the term deck building game mean?

Deckbuilder popularized by Dominion.

Start with only a 7 card deck and draw 5 as your hand and then use those cards to buy more cards to add to your deck to add actions and buy more cards. Rinse and repeat. See Thunderstone: Starter Set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Final Fantasy TCG was released in North America about a year ago, so if that interests you, you could try that.

I play Destiny, and its readily available now, but I do think that there is too much luck, I felt luck mitigation was much better in the old Decipher CCG.

As others have said the Munchkin CCG is about to be released. Its a bit different from Munchkin, so even if you are not a huge fan, it might be worth checking out some demo videos that are available on YouTube or the Munchkin CCG facebook page. The art is the same, so you'll have to be okay with that style. If I had a load of money I would buy in (but if that were the case I would also buy the best decks in Destiny and probably start playing Magic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game is still my favourite CCG. Supports any number of players just fine. Long out of print, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.