Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The rules state that 'The Scotia always carries coal'. How does this have any impact on the players? Or is it just for thematic purposes?

2) The example next to 'Deploying Ships' shows a ship being deployed with a Captain and a coal. How does this happen? I cannot see anything in the rules that will let you load coal onto an undeployed ship, or anything that lets you start with a cube of coal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rule says that so you can use the Scotia with the REGION card.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Scotia always having coal means it can transport when you play Region, giving you income.

The Shipyard action gives each purchased ship a captain and a coal, before any later deployment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. This all seems blindingly obvious now you've pointed out the right bits of the rules.

Guess I couldn't see the wood for looking at the trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
Wow, I don't recall if anyone played the REGION card while the Scotia was still in it, but if they had then we didn't count it as giving income to the player who played the card. To use a billiard term, we interpreted "neutral" as "poison:" no one could use it. It was only there as an impediment to early ribands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Lamprecht confirmed that Scotia can provide income when you play Region in this thread: Scotia and region card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
gillum wrote:
Frank Lamprecht confirmed that Scotia can provide income when you play Region in this thread: Scotia and region card

Thanks! I wasn't doubting the veracity of the interpretation. Only that we interpreted it incorrectly during our single play at BGG.con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can use scotia with any card granting transport. My question about Region is if it counts as oldest foreign ship, but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius Austriacus
msg tools
JefferyHunt wrote:
I think you can use scotia with any card granting transport. My question about Region is if it counts as oldest foreign ship, but I doubt it.

It's the other way around. The Scotia is not your ship, so you cannot use her for your own transports. If she is still there in the Nord Atlanic, she is always the oldest foreign ship and always has coal, so you get the bonus from her when playing the region card.

ignatio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ignatio wrote:
The Scotia is not your ship, so you cannot use her for your own transports. If she is still there in the Nord Atlanic, she is always the oldest foreign ship and always has coal, so you get the bonus from her when playing the region card.

Wouldn't Scotia benefit Region in this way, even if it's been relocated to another region (if that region were chosen)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius Austriacus
msg tools
You're right. I didn't consider the possibility that a relocation can happen when there is still a free space in another ocean. And in that case, IIRC it's not even assured that she is the oldest ship there.

ignatio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael parsons
msg tools
mb
The Scotia is the oldest ship in the game. Including the clipper ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.