Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mick Bells
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I feel I am missing something with the character:

5+ attack
4+ Search
Ability - Anywhere: When Rohan receives a wound you may re roll one action die in your unspent action dice pool. When Rohan would receive a despair token, ignore it instead.

It feels a somewhat underwhelming ability for that stat line. Colony combat only happens after all dice are spent. I mainly see this incentivising moving without fuel and attacking early in the turn as it *might* improve a die - at the risk of a bite! With characters like Rod Miller, Mike Cho, and Hugo Valentine (I hate rolling the exposure die) who have better stat lines I just struggle to see the appeal. This could be my cautious play style of course.

Wanting to know if I have understood the rule right (hoping to play with warring colonies for first time on Tuesday)? Also intrigued about anyone seeing other opportunities with this that i just cannot see right now (not normally something i struggle with)??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
mbhollman wrote:
So I feel I am missing something with the character:

5+ attack
4+ Search
Ability - Anywhere: When Rohan receives a wound you may re roll one action die in your unspent action dice pool. When Rohan would receive a despair token, ignore it instead.

It feels a somewhat underwhelming ability for that stat line. Colony combat only happens after all dice are spent. I mainly see this incentivising moving without fuel and attacking early in the turn as it *might* improve a die - at the risk of a bite! With characters like Rod Miller, Mike Cho, and Hugo Valentine (I hate rolling the exposure die) who have better stat lines I just struggle to see the appeal. This could be my cautious play style of course.

Wanting to know if I have understood the rule right (hoping to play with warring colonies for first time on Tuesday)? Also intrigued about anyone seeing other opportunities with this that i just cannot see right now (not normally something i struggle with)??

Some characters always feel more underwhelming than others. Hugo and Fatima are almost unplayable.

Remember, though, you don't need to play the Warring Colonies variant to use Rohan. And I think you got his power wrong. He rerolls a die when he receives a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wha? Hugo unplayable? He has 2/2 for stats and you don't have to worry about wasting fuel to move him unless you are super paranoid about rolling a tooth. I'll gladly pick him for his stats over a whole number of other characters. I've played DoW close to 30 times and there are characters I've literally never seen picked.

But I agree that many of the new characters in Warring Colonies seem more like "support" characters than actual "mains". I mean, there is that old lady who can't even more and has 6/6 stats. That's pretty terrible. But depending on the objectives, you may want her super search ability which helps everyone every search. I noticed a number of characters seem to have some pretty good abilities but their stats are really bad. So you'd have to make a choice between picking the character as a "support" for their ability or sticking with the more regular characters who are much more well rounded.

That being said, Rohan is an extremely tough sell and I can't see him being picked much, if ever. For the reasons you pointed out. His stats aren't good and his special ability is really only useful if/when you have a really bad roll and absolutely need better dice. But even then, what happens if you reroll and get something that don't get 4 or 5+?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Mools wrote:
Wha? Hugo unplayable? He has 2/2 for stats and you don't have to worry about wasting fuel to move him unless you are super paranoid about rolling a tooth. I'll gladly pick him for his stats over a whole number of other characters. I've played DoW close to 30 times and there are characters I've literally never seen picked.

But I agree that many of the new characters in Warring Colonies seem more like "support" characters than actual "mains". I mean, there is that old lady who can't even more and has 6/6 stats. That's pretty terrible. But depending on the objectives, you may want her super search ability which helps everyone every search. I noticed a number of characters seem to have some pretty good abilities but their stats are really bad. So you'd have to make a choice between picking the character as a "support" for their ability or sticking with the more regular characters who are much more well rounded.

That being said, Rohan is an extremely tough sell and I can't see him being picked much, if ever. For the reasons you pointed out. His stats aren't good and his special ability is really only useful if/when you have a really bad roll and absolutely need better dice. But even then, what happens if you reroll and get something that don't get 4 or 5+?

He's inferior to Rod, and many characters search or fight on a 2. Plus, his influence is low. He's really just low tier in comparison to others. Fatima's even worse, especially if you draw her Crossroads card.

Some of the new WC characters are a bit of a tough sell, it's true. I'd say about half of them (Marcus, Oscar, Atticus, Fernanda, and Danica) are good, a couple (George, Scott, Fitzpatrick) are all right, if a bit situational, and the rest aren't all that special.

We have a house rule for bullet tokens so we can add Atticus and Scott to normal play, that's the only reason why they aren't allowed. Rule: If you have a gun card equipped, you may discard a bullet token to remove one zombie from the location that survivor is at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Bells
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been wondering what to do about Fatima and Rodney in warring colonies yeh. The extra move is so unlikely to be wanted in this variant as you can't do stuff between moves.

Interesting house rule on the bullets, I have been thinking about how to make them playable in standard. I am guessing you don;t start with any by default and that only comes up if you draw them as random location cards or these two give you some?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.