David Seal
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am wondering what options a space marine (SM) has when a genestealer (GS) is in front of his face. I am assuming that a SM can shoot at a GS with their storm bolter in place of using close assault, otherwise most of these questions are moot.

Can a SM spend a CP to shoot instead of unjam while in a jammed state? This would come up in the following scenario:

GS moves into a square that is two squares away and in line of sight (LOS) of a SM in overwatch status. This triggers a shot, and the SM rolls a double 3, that puts him into jammed status. GS takes another step towards the SM, and is now face-to-face with the SM. The SM is expecting to get attacked with the GS's next action.

In this scenario, the SM can spend one CP to unjam because the final movement happened in his line of sight. This seems unwise, because the rulebook states

"If a Space Marine is attacked in close assault or performs any action (other than clearing a jam) he immediately loses his overwatch status"

on page 13. This means that the spent action point would immediately be lost. Going on guard is an option (provided there are enough CPs left.) What other options are there?

(Yes - I know this can be "themed out" by saying their gun is jammed, why are you asking this question. I prefer to stick to the rules over making up my own.)

Can a jammed SM that wins close assault later come off of a jammed state? This would come up in the following scenario:

SM gets jammed while a GS is rushing him. He gets assaulted in close combat and wins. What happens to the overwatch/jam token?

According to the additional clarifications, "for the purposes of the rules, a Space Marine is not in overwatch while jammed, he is in a special 'jammed' status instead. The only way he can stop being 'jammed' is to either remove the marker at the end of the turn, or to flip the marker to overwatch by spending a command point."

My reading is that because being jammed is a special status, a close assault will not remove the jammed token. This would mean that a future GS could trigger a CP to be spent to remove the jammed state. (This is of course cheaper than putting the same SM on overwatch.)

Can SM that ties in a close assault spend a CP to take a free shot at the GS in their face? Depending on what the answer is to my question about being jammed, let us assume that this space marine is neither on overwatch or jammed. (Perhaps this is why it is beneficial to unjam the jam in my first scenario.)

For reference, I looked at the following:

Additional clarifications (Thanks for putting this together, haggis!)

Overwatch and jam refresh course

Overwatch - Jam cleared

as well as a handful of other threads. I also tried looking up the official FAQ from GM but Icould not find it on their website and the BGG links are too old.

Edit: According the "official space hulk rules FAQ" found in text form here a SM should be able to shoot at a GS from one square away:

Q: Do a Genestealer standing in front of me count as in CLOSECOMBAT?
A: no. it takes an action to get into CLOSECOMBAT. and after this is done you leave closecombat. so you can fire at him even if you have been in CLOSECOMBAT the previouse turn (and survived).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
You had it right, you can't shoot at all when jammed. Page 19 of the rules:
Quote:
A Space Marine with a jammed storm bolter cannot shoot until he clears the jam. It costs 1 AP to clear a jam. Once the jam is cleared, flip the counter back over to show that the model is back in overwatch. Any jam counters that have not been cleared are removed at the end of the turn in the Mission Status phase, along with any overwatch counters that remain in play.

And you're right, the rules on page 13 state (requoting for reference):
Quote:
If a Space Marine is attacked in close assault or performs any action (other than clearing a jam) he immediately loses his overwatch status. Overwatch markers are removed during the Mission Status phase if they were not lost earlier.

So a close assault or other action does not remove a jammed counter.

And it's perfectly fine to shoot a Genestealer from one square away (as long as you're not jammed). There is no "locked in close combat" rule in Space Hulk.

dankdave wrote:

For reference, I looked at the following:

Additional clarifications (Thanks for putting this together, haggis!)

No problem! It was a fun project.

dankdave wrote:
I also tried looking up the official FAQ from GM but I could not find it on their website and the BGG links are too old.

Edit: According the "official space hulk rules FAQ" found in text form here a SM should be able to shoot at a GS from one square away:

Q: Do a Genestealer standing in front of me count as in CLOSECOMBAT?
A: no. it takes an action to get into CLOSECOMBAT. and after this is done you leave closecombat. so you can fire at him even if you have been in CLOSECOMBAT the previouse turn (and survived).

That thread on Bolter and Chainsword is pretty strange. I'm not sure where those questions and answers came from, but it's definitely not the official FAQ.

If you need a PDF of the Games Workshop FAQ, send me a private message. It's just a single page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.