Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, i've been looking through a number of enemy ability cards and i have some questions about how the AI would carry out these orders, so here goes... Thanks for any help...

1. If a ranged unit has an attack without a move, will it attack an adjacent target with disadvantage over a further target? e.g. Archer card 537

2. With enemy Statuses like Shield & Retaliate, these only last till the end of the turn, so if that character acts after the heroes, those abilities do nothing and don't carry over like a condition, correct?

3. If an enemy has an area effect without a grey hex (I.e. it is ranged) and are targeting two heroes, will they move to get BOTH heroes at range, even though their focus is only the nearest one? What if moving an extra space away means that now they can only target 1 of the two, but they now don't have disadvantage?

4. When a Heal doesn't mention a target type, then it can be done on 'friends' (I.e. ally OR self) and an enemy will target something which has lost the most health. If it is doing a shield or retaliate, how does it pick a target (I assume it is still a friend, but which one)? e.g Stone Golem 740

5. If an enemy has a 'do bonus effect to adjacent allies' will it try to move next to allies? e.g. Shaman 594. If the Shaman is 2 space from 2 allies, will it move next to them? Similarly, if a healer is at full health and has a move, heal, will it move to within rage of an ally to heal them? If so that would mean their move would be different knowing they have a heal next.

6. I assume the On Death of a Cultist is only valid on the turn the cultist has it revealed and if the cultist acts before the heroes? It doesn't carry over, and it doesn't trigger before the Cultist's turn, i.e. like the Shield Retaliate above. (Is this also true for the Giant Viper Disadvantage?)

7. When a Ranged unit uses an area ability with a grey hex, it comes a Melee ability so has no Disadvantage? e.g. Flame Demon 631?

8. Sun demon 652. Initially this card can target itself, but if there is the correct energy type, it only targets all allies. So, if the sun demon is only injured creature and there is energy available, does this card do nothing?

9. Will a card that 'deals damage to adjacent enemies/allies' allow that enemy to move differently? The manual details that enemies will move to use the maximum effect of that attack, but 'deal damage' isn't an attack. If an extra movement will mean that 1 extra damage is done to a hero, but at the same time it does 1 extra (or 2 extra) damage to allies, does the AI decide to do it? e.g. Night Demon 667

10. Do Looting creatures attempt to head towards treasure before looting or are they just focusing on being in melee/ranged range as usual, and the loot is just if it happens to be nearby? e.g. Scout 675?

Mike.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:

So, i've been looking through a number of enemy ability cards and i have some questions about how the AI would carry out these orders, so here goes... Thanks for any help...

1. If a ranged unit has an attack without a move, will it attack an adjacent target with disadvantage over a further target? e.g. Archer card 537

2. With enemy Statuses like Shield & Retaliate, these only last till the end of the turn, so if that character acts after the heroes, those abilities do nothing and don't carry over like a condition, correct?

Yes to both.

Gothnak wrote:

3. If an enemy has an area effect without a grey hex (I.e. it is ranged) and are targeting two heroes, will they move to get BOTH heroes at range, even though their focus is only the nearest one? What if moving an extra space away means that now they can only target 1 of the two, but they now don't have disadvantage?

The primary goal of a monster is to hit its focus without disadvantage.
A secondary goal is to get as many targets as it can in its AOE.
So in the case where it would have to move to disadvantage on its primary focus to get multiple targets, it would be happy with just one.

Gothnak wrote:

4. When a Heal doesn't mention a target type, then it can be done on 'friends' (I.e. ally OR self) and an enemy will target something which has lost the most health. If it is doing a shield or retaliate, how does it pick a target (I assume it is still a friend, but which one)? e.g Stone Golem 740

Shield and retaliate are always self unless otherwise stated.

Gothnak wrote:

5. If an enemy has a 'do bonus effect to adjacent allies' will it try to move next to allies? e.g. Shaman 594. If the Shaman is 2 space from 2 allies, will it move next to them? Similarly, if a healer is at full health and has a move, heal, will it move to within rage of an ally to heal them? If so that would mean their move would be different knowing they have a heal next.

No, if they are not attacking, they will act as if they are melee monsters for that round (they will attempt to get a focus, and move adjacent to said focus) - they don't attempt to optimize healing.

Gothnak wrote:

6. I assume the On Death of a Cultist is only valid on the turn the cultist has it revealed and if the cultist acts before the heroes? It doesn't carry over, and it doesn't trigger before the Cultist's turn, i.e. like the Shield Retaliate above. (Is this also true for the Giant Viper Disadvantage?)
Yes for the cultist - I think that is also correct for the viper, but I'm not as sure about that one.

Gothnak wrote:

7. When a Ranged unit uses an area ability with a grey hex, it comes a Melee ability so has no Disadvantage? e.g. Flame Demon 631?

Correct - note they don't actually need to be adjacent, and they will move as little as possible to get as many targets (always including the focus) as possible.

Gothnak wrote:

8. Sun demon 652. Initially this card can target itself, but if there is the correct energy type, it only targets all allies. So, if the sun demon is only injured creature and there is energy available, does this card do nothing?

All allies does not include the creature itself. Note that if there are multiple sun demons in this case, they all heal all allies, so each sun demon will take one less heal than all other creatures.

Gothnak wrote:

9. Will a card that 'deals damage to adjacent enemies/allies' allow that enemy to move differently? The manual details that enemies will move to use the maximum effect of that attack, but 'deal damage' isn't an attack. If an extra movement will mean that 1 extra damage is done to a hero, but at the same time it does 1 extra (or 2 extra) damage to allies, does the AI decide to do it? e.g. Night Demon 667

Deal damage is not an attack - the monsters will attempt to maximize their attack, not damage done.

Gothnak wrote:

10. Do Looting creatures attempt to head towards treasure before looting or are they just focusing on being in melee/ranged range as usual, and the loot is just if it happens to be nearby? e.g. Scout 675?

They will move to maximize their attack if they have one, if not, treat them as if they are melee monsters. They do not move to maximize loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:

Gothnak wrote:

Shield and retaliate are always self unless otherwise stated.

Cool, i think you confirmed my suspicions, therefore that only leaves this one...

Range 2 Retaliate 3 therefore means this unit retaliates at Range 2 rather than giving an ally at Range 2 Retalitate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1 Adjacent is closest, so that would have focus.

2 Correct

3 They will move to attack both, but will always ensure to target their focus. 'Maximizing attack' is priority nr 2. Your question about disadvantage makes me wonder if you realize they draw a separate attack modifier card for every opponent? So having 2 attacks with one at disadvantage is still better than only 1.

4 Shield and Retaliate are on yourself. I haven't seen any exceptions.

5 No. Normal rules still apply. Monsters without an attack will act like melee monsters and move toward opponents.

6 You assume correctly. Again, the basic rule applies to all those different abilities cool

7 Correct

8 I don't have this card in front of me, but you are probably correct.

9&10 Once again, monsters only focus on opponents, not on their abilities. So they don't try to deal extra damage or pick up loot.

EDIT: ninja so let's answer that last question: yes, the monster itself has retaliate at range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ringgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
I need a healer!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:

Cool, i think you confirmed my suspicions, therefore that only leaves this one...

Range 2 Retaliate 3 therefore means this unit retaliates at Range 2 rather than giving an ally at Range 2 Retalitate?

Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charian wrote:

3 They will move to attack both, but will always ensure to target their focus. 'Maximizing attack' is priority nr 2. Your question about disadvantage makes me wonder if you realize they draw a separate attack modifier card for every opponent? So having 2 attacks with one at disadvantage is still better than only 1.

Actually, this last part is incorrect - a monsters first priority is to maximize the attack on its focus (thus avoiding disadvantage on that opponent). If it has a choice between disadvantage on its focus and only one target (its focus), it will take the attack on only one target without disadvantage. It doesn't care about disadvantage on secondary targets, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jason. However, the way the OP phrases the question suggests a potential misunderstanding.

In a range area attack (i.e. red hexes, no grey hex), only one red he'd had to be within the normal range. The other red hexes can still be hit (even if they would be otherwise out of range).

His question would be more appropriate to a "target 2" ranged attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.