Subject: Whats a 'good' score in Terraforming Mars? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Orrin Kellanek
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of a 'good' score in Terraforming Mars.
Obviously you are always trying to beat your last score but just wondered if anyone had an idea of a good range?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the number of players.

We mostly pay 5p and we get anywhere between about 90 and 120

Edit: You could look through here to see what people are scoring https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1654557/help-needed-lets-co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orrin146 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of a 'good' score in Terraforming Mars.
Obviously you are always trying to beat your last score
I don't particularly care if I beat my last score... provided that I beat everyone else's score.

Orrin146 wrote:
but just wondered if anyone had an idea of a good range?
It depends on player count and whether you're playing with the corporate cards, starting at 0 production, etc. but around 80-100 seems like a good score (for 3-4 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CR Bonnie
msg tools
mb
Honestly it really depends on what everyone is doing. I've seen winners (3 and 4 player games) with 70ish points and losers having about 90 points.

If more players rush the terraforming tracks, there is less time to accumulate points in other ways.

If anything, I would compare my scores to previous games by looking at the difference in scores with other players. Most of my playgroups games have come down to a 1 or 2 point difference. I've had a 4 player game end with each players finalscoring within 4 point of each other...

If one player consistently wins the game with more than a 10 point lead, I'd say the other players need to brush up their game and see what the other player is doing to get him this far ahead. Maybe they are giving him too much room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly this really depends on play styles within groups.

Our games don't take very long as generally everyone is rushing to grab as many TRs as they can, making our 4-5 player games take under two hours with scores being in the low 50s to the high 60s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cox
United Kingdom
Bicester
flag msg tools
BOO!
badge
I do really love fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience like others have said it depends on peoples tactics and whether they want the game to end.

For example my last two games have both been two player games. One we rushed and it ended 72 - 83. The other we both had animal engines going and the game was not rushed to end meaning we scored. 135-136 points (I lost by one! Gutted!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
In our two-player corporate era games we usually score 120-160 but the record is 184.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Coxy5 wrote:
From my experience like others have said it depends on peoples tactics and whether they want the game to end.

For example my last two games have both been two player games. One we rushed and it ended 72 - 83. The other we both had animal engines going and the game was not rushed to end meaning we scored. 135-136 points (I lost by one! Gutted!)

This sums it up well. Scores are largely dependent on how many generations are played, which will vary depending on what people are doing. Player count feeds into this as well: more players generally means fewer generations and thus lower scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Orrin146 wrote:
Hi all,
Obviously you are always trying to beat your last score but just wondered if anyone had an idea of a good range?
Thanks

As noted, depends on too many factors to have a concrete answer.

There are 42 TR steps. If you divide that by the number of players in a game, that is kind of bare minimum, but then you need to add in the greenery probably made to up O2 and cities that show up next to greenery by default a lot of the time. And then there are gonna be three Milestones and three "best" scores, adding another 36VPs to the mix, again, likely by default. So if you average everything out, assuming 14 greeneries, and, say, every player getting an average of 4 points from cities (which is a total lark of a guess), in a 5 player game, there are 42+14+20+36=112 points *before* counting cards in play that give out VPs, which comes out to, what, about 23VP as a starting point (on average) for a 5 player game? Seems like for a 5P game, with that as the average starting point, like, something in the 60+ point score seems like a reasonable score (20 starting TR, +23 "average" VPs giving a basline of about 43VPs; add for cards and resources and extra greenery and cities and whatever); memory of a lot of 5 player games indicates that this seems about right.

The more generations a given game goes, the higher the scores will be as well, especially as a lot of cards generate VPs over time.

All that being said, for, like, a 5 player game, a score in the 70's isn't at all out of the realm of reason as a pretty good score. I played a 3 player game the other day and hit 101 with Saturn Systems (I had, like, 43 points in cards and animals and security fleets and stuff on the table), and that seemed like a high score; I beat the next highest score by a good 10-12 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Espie
msg tools
mb
In solo games, I'd say score above 100 are good scores, judging from the scores in the monthly challenge and my personal experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our 3-5 player games the winning score has varied from 60 to around 120. It's radically dependent on game round (we've played between 8-16 rounds with most around 10), card draw, and how many "attack" cards get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
One point more than anyone else.

For solo, I am for 100+ as a really good game. 90+ isn't bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kahan
United States
Annandale
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
In our two-player corporate era games we usually score 120-160 but the record is 184.

Nice... mostly playing 2-player recently... wife likes the game who am I to complain? whistle

How many generation do you hover around out of curiosity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oboewan wrote:
Nice... mostly playing 2-player recently... wife likes the game who am I to complain? whistle

How many generation do you hover around out of curiosity?

Our 2p games usually go 13-14 generations and score about 100-130. Some games go shorter, a few only 11 generations which came in under 100.

184 is astonishing, the highest we ever got playing seriously was in the 140s. That game was 15 generations, which is also the highest we have hit unless fooling around.

(No, it wasn't me that you asked.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orrin Kellanek
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Last game we played we had 11 generations with 3 players and there was 4 points between first and last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAP
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game, five players, everyone scored between 37 and 57 (56 for me, ouch). I forget the generations, but around 9. All new players for this and very few cities all around, maybe 11 gardens on the board.

Second game, three players, 101 for me, 96 and 83. Lost track of generations, but close to 18-20. This was a 5 hour epic and a more thorough learning of the rules. Everyone was building an engine rather than working on global parameters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like with many engine building end triggered games (Like Race and Roll for the Galaxy) there isn't really a set 'good' score. As depending on the individual players approaches, the end game might be slowed or rushed. Also the number of players can obviously speed up the progress. Honestly there's no real way of knowing how well you are performing (or any real reason to either). Even playing solo, different starting card and corporation combinations make a huge difference on your ending scores. Don't worry about 'scoring' your score. Just worry about having fun and possibly destroying your opponents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.