Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
165 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

Nations: The Dice Game – Unrest» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Crowdplay vs designer: 1 turn per day. Game ended, crowd won by minimum tiebreaker! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
New version of Tribes from Kosmos at Spiel 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: See final game state

I'd like to do an experiment and test if there is interest in a crowdplay session. For the first turn I will set a 2 days limit, then all turns will be done in 1 day. It might have to be changed to 2 days, poll allows only to set end date, not end time. Or I just set the poll time to 2 days, but after a new move is performed any new poll votes will not have any effect.

EDIT: Once a new post is made the old poll is ignored, even if it is still active. I will aim for one post per day, but I know some days I will not make it, like on Saturday this week, due to travel.

The collective votes of all interested BGG users against me. I'll suggest some moves in a poll, but if you want to do something else select "Other, write in comments" and I will try to see if there is a consensus or if one more day of thinking and discussion should be added.

First choice, crowd is player 2, must select which Nation to play as.

Poll
What Nation to play as number 2 in player order?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Ethiopia (4 dice. Chits: reroll, 2 stone, gold)
62.5% 10
Vikings (4 dice. Chits: fast reroll, food, gold)
37.5% 6
Voters 16
This poll is now closed.   16 answers
Poll created by RustanR
Closes: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Crowdplay vs designer: 1 turn per day
Motivating your answer to help others vote is of course a good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea two stone trumphs one food in my book. I am ok with the reroll being slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Rustan, quick q: With just 2 players, doesn't player 2 start with 3 books instead of 1? (can't check rules right now, but seem to recall that from having read the rulebook just this last weekend)

So, weighing up the options:

Pros/cons for Vikings:
thumbsup There's only 1 wonder tile that could be built this age, and that costs only 1 stone, and Vikings have 1 stone already (the 2 stone chit of the Ethiopians therefore seems a bit wasteful).
thumbsup Having 1 food towards the 2 required for the famine AND both swords already for the war, would seem a pretty good starting setup too.
thumbsup We have just enough gold to pick up a level-2 dice-upgrade tile (either the red or green; I'd probably go for the green), assuming player 1 will take the cheapest dice-tile on their turn.
thumbsdown But only 2 gold to spend isn't much, and if we keep the 2 dice with swords and the 1 die with stone, AND we want to buy a dice-upgrade tile, we couldn't then afford the wonder to then spend the stone on.
thumbsupthumbsdown But we could reroll that stone and hope for the 2nd food we need...
thumbsup The special event is +2VP for most swords, and we already have 2!

Pros/cons for Ethiopians:
thumbsup Could use the 2-stone chit to build the wonder, no dice required for that build (but of course 1 gold to purchase that wonder)!
thumbsup 3 gold means we will likely be able to buy 2 dice-upgrade tiles, one one dice-upgrade and the wonder, which is great.
thumbsupthumbsdown The 2 dice with stone can be rerolled to hope to get 2 food or 2 swords. Seems unlikely we'd manage that though. Could always use them both as 1 gold to get something from the 1st row before it goes though. Depends what they reroll to be...

I think I'm edging towards Vikings for getting some early points though, as we're closer to getting the Famine 2VPs, already have a guaranteed 1VP for swords (if we don't reroll them!), and will likely get the 2VP bonus for most swords...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the dice will be rolled after our choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
With just 2 players, doesn't player 2 start with 3 books instead of 1? (can't check rules right now, but seem to recall that from having read the rulebook just this last weekend)

No, with Unrest all players start at 1 book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:

No, dice are rolled as part of your first turn, not immediately after choosing nation. So player 1 will not know what the others will have as their initial roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
With just 2 players, doesn't player 2 start with 3 books instead of 1? (can't check rules right now, but seem to recall that from having read the rulebook just this last weekend)

No, with Unrest all players start at 1 book.

Ah, ok, got it. I played base-game 2 player, then played the expansion solo, hence I hadn't fully read the multi-player setup for Unrest.

RustanR wrote:
No, dice are rolled as part of your first turn, not immediately after choosing nation. So player 1 will not know what the others will have as their initial roll.

Ah, so the dice shown haven't technically been rolled yet? In that case, I retract most of my suggested strategy on picking the starting nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
Evil_X wrote:

My response was to Nick, since he used the dice sides shown in his first turn planning. I only meant that we don't know what our roll is when choosing faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:

Ah, so the dice shown haven't technically been rolled yet? In that case, I retract most of my suggested strategy on picking the starting nation.

Correct, they were just placed in the used area to indicate more clearly what that Nation gets. Sorry for not catching that by reading your comments.

Thanks Max, I misunderstood it as a question blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You chose Ethiopia.

I take Vikings and roll my dice:

I use 1 white gold die to buy Trireme, place it on my board and discard the used white die. I roll the new red die and get 1 food.

Your turn, you roll:

Poll
First action should be:
Conquer Hindu Kush (cost 1 sword, gain 1 stone every round)
36.4% 4
Buy Stonehenge with chit (cost 1 gold, only wonder on the board, 1 tone for 3 VP)
0.0% 0
Buy Stonehenge with die (cost 1 gold, only wonder on the board, 1 tone for 3 VP)
0.0% 0
Buy Elephant (cost 2 gold, replace 1 white die with 1 red die)
18.2% 2
Buy Silk Road (cost 2 gold, replace 1 white die with 1 green die)
36.4% 4
Buy Hypatia (cost 2 gold, gain 1 fast reroll chit, lose 1 gold chit)
0.0% 0
Reroll (comment below what to reroll)
9.1% 1
Other
0.0% 0
Voters 11
This poll is now closed.   11 answers
Poll created by RustanR
Closes: Fri Dec 1, 2017 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reroll both swords and the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd spend the 1 gold die and 1 gold chit to get the Silk Road tile.

Can then reroll the other dice on next turn if need be.

Rustan will likely use his quick reroll chit to reroll and may well get enough gold for a level 2 or 3 tile, and Unrest dice are pretty powerful [if you don't roll Unrest!], so my guess would be Rustan would go for that if he can. Either way, it's probably he'll be able to get one level-2 tile that upgrades a die [either rolling 2 gold, or 1 gold and converting 2 other dice to 1 gold), so we should deny him the choice of which he'd take.

He *might* also go for the Wonder next turn, but without any stone yet, it's risky for him. But he can see we could complete it using our chit if we bought it, so he might want to get it before we do, just to deny us the points. But if he does, we can just focus on famine/war for those VPs. He's already got the 2 food he needs to get the 2VP from famine, so he's already 1VP up on us [if we don't reroll our swords, so get the 1VP from war].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The results are not very clear, I hope some more votes! Silk road and Elephant are quite closely related, meaning they together have 4 votes compared to Hind Kush...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
The results are not very clear, I hope some more votes! Silk road and Elephant are quite closely related, meaning they together have 4 votes compared to Hind Kush...

The red die and the green die they respectively give are quite different in strategy though... The unrest die gives double resources for whichever side it lands on, unless it rolls Unrest which means a wasted turn or die (which is the risk vs reward for having it obviously), whereas red gives more swords for if we want to go down a war VP route...

But agree - need more votes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for the new hotness, the green die, just because I want to see how it plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:

The red die and the green die they respectively give are quite different in strategy though...

Agreed. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to structure polls to easily allow a better vote for allowing multiple choices with priority? Or is a simple vote like this the best anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:

The red die and the green die they respectively give are quite different in strategy though...

Agreed. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to structure polls to easily allow a better vote for allowing multiple choices with priority? Or is a simple vote like this the best anyway?

I think a vote is simpler, and should work fine... unless the top-rated choice is a tie. What would happen then?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
I'd spend the 1 gold die and 1 gold chit to get the Silk Road tile.

Can then reroll the other dice on next turn if need be.

Rustan will likely use his quick reroll chit to reroll and may well get enough gold for a level 2 or 3 tile, and Unrest dice are pretty powerful [if you don't roll Unrest!], so my guess would be Rustan would go for that if he can. Either way, it's probably he'll be able to get one level-2 tile that upgrades a die [either rolling 2 gold, or 1 gold and converting 2 other dice to 1 gold), so we should deny him the choice of which he'd take.

He *might* also go for the Wonder next turn, but without any stone yet, it's risky for him. But he can see we could complete it using our chit if we bought it, so he might want to get it before we do, just to deny us the points. But if he does, we can just focus on famine/war for those VPs. He's already got the 2 food he needs to get the 2VP from famine, so he's already 1VP up on us [if we don't reroll our swords, so get the 1VP from war].

I'm aligned with this train of thinking in my vote

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now there is a tie Ideas? Should I wait until the tie is resolved by more votes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a tie, now 4 to 4 I'm waiting until tomorrow to see what your decision is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I decided to break the tie in favour of the answer closest to the top, I'll use that for future ties too.

So you chose to conquer Hindu Kush, earning a permanent 1 stone token that you will have available every round.

I see that Stonehenge is the only wonder, I have one gold, so I buy it. Now I am prepared to pass on my next turn and take 1 sword as pass first bonus to take 1 VP, secure being first and hopefully the 2 extra vp too, or use fast reroll to hope for more swords and take food if you take red die and roll high swords. I am avoiding rerolling if I can though, as I risk getting a stone and while that lets me complete Stonehenge I will likely miss out on 3 VP for having swords and go last in turn order.

Poll: Your next action
Your next action:
Buy Elephant (cost 2 gold, replace 1 white die with 1 red die)
18.2% 2
Buy Silk Road (cost 2 gold, replace 1 white die with 1 green die)
72.7% 8
Buy Hypatia (cost 2 gold, gain 1 fast reroll chit, lose 1 gold chit)
0.0% 0
Reroll Book
0.0% 0
Pass, take 1 Sword
0.0% 0
Pass, take 1 Food
0.0% 0
Pass, take 1 Book
0.0% 0
Other, comment below
9.1% 1
Voters 11
Poll created by RustanR
Closes: Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:00 am

One possible plan could be to Buy Elephant, hoping for at least 2 swords, buy Macedonia, get enough gold to buy Silk Road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reroll Book and Sword, hope for at least 1 gold - buy Gold Dice, roll 3 Gold - buy the other Gold Dice, roll gold probably - Buy something nice -> Strong setup for Age two at loss of a few Victory points during Age one.

Edit: Possibly trade Book and Sword for one Gold and save the reroll for the Gold dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You bought Silk Road, discarding a used white die and rolled 2 swords.

Bad for me! I use the fast reroll to roll my red die, hoping for 2 or 3 swords. But I get food again, crap! Not much useful options for me now, I pass and take a sword. I considered taking the book, but I think it is likely that I will win books this round anyway. With 2 swords I have a chance to remain first player if you spend any of your swords, and I am guaranteed 1 VP.

Poll
Your next action
Conquer Macedonia (2 gold-chit)
72.7% 8
Reroll Book die
9.1% 1
Rerool both white dice
9.1% 1
Reroll all dice
0.0% 0
Reroll other combo (comment below)
0.0% 0
Pass
9.1% 1
Voters 11
Poll created by RustanR
Closes: Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.