Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say, "Note: You can swap 5 yellow soles (value 1) for 1 red sole (value 5), or vice versa, at any point during the game."

A few questions:

1. What soles can you swap at any time: soles that are in your possession, soles that are in the net, or soles that are in anyone's possession? This is at the heart of the two follow-up questions.

2. The rules say that you take yellow soles from the middle of the table according to the dice roll. If there are no more yellow soles in the center and no one else exchanges yellow for red, can you not take any soles? Or do you only take soles in 5-sole increments (using the red soles)?

3. If a player has exchanged the yellow soles in their possession for red soles and you roll a fish hook, is the player with only red soles required to trade them in to satisfy your hook demand? (Example: Phil has a red sole and two yellow soles; Judy rolls a fish hook and three soles. Will Judy get two yellow soles or three?)

My questions boil down to is there any strategic space around the red soles, or are they simply there to make the game last longer/make scores easier to track? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sure they were simply there as a higher currency of fish and add no strategy. By having 6 red fish in a game, for example, u save having 30 more fish on the table. The reason they are limited each game is just to ensure the "correct" number of fish for each player count is available. I just play that if you only have a red fish and someone steals one, you swap your red in for five yellows and hand one over.

But this was just my assumption and I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Laursen
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules imply that they're fungible, just like pennies and nickels would be if you were playing for money.

"Take as many yellow soles from the middle of the table as you rolled" looks like an unfortunate choice of wording, since all the other times the rules mention taking or losing soles as an abstract value, not as a color of token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Keller
Germany
Dietzenbach
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goatcabin wrote:
My questions boil down to is there any strategic space around the red soles, or are they simply there to make the game last longer/make scores easier to track? Thanks!

That´s it: No strategy, just easier to handle 1s and 5s. :)

Have fun,
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herbergsvatter wrote:
Goatcabin wrote:

That´s it: No strategy, just easier to handle 1s and 5s.

Have fun,
Bernd

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.