Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: (SOLVED) Finn Edwards has to discard half his possessions - what happens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Gottlieb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finn Edwards' ability says
Quote:
Effects cannot cause you to discard your Item, Trinket, or Ally possessions unless you choose to.

What happens if a card says, for example, "Discard half your ___ possessions"? Can he prevent this by only including items/trinkets/allies in the half of his assets that he has to discard? Or can he not prevent this at all, because he has to "choose" which of his assets are included in the half? Thanks.
EDIT: Solved. Finn can't avoid it because he is the one choosing which half of his assets to discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Finn Edwards has to discard half his possessions - what happens?
I would say randomly discard half. if any of the ones you picked randomly were items, trinkets or allies than dont discard those

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
luiginumber1 wrote:
What happens if a mythos card says for Finn Edwards to discard half of his assets?

Got an example for a Mythos card that says this? I'd have thought most table wiper Mythoses are rather trait specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Gottlieb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a card that says something like "Each investigator discards half of his Ally possessions, then loses 1 Sanity for each Ally he has." There's also the back of
Spoiler (click to reveal)
one of the Hungers, which simply says to discard half your assets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
The various "discard half of trait x or suffer" assets work with Finn as one would expect. He can choose to discard (bypassing his immunity), or suffer for keeping.

A completely trait-agnostic discard half would probably have to be fulfilled as much as possible (like any other effect), so he'll have to discard non-immune assets to try and do this, I figure.
He may choose to discard immune ones to fulfil the half if that lets him keep others though. If he only has immune ones those should be protected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There would be arguments for several different ways. I suggest someone contact FFG support, and ask them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discard possessions until you have either a) discarded half your possessions or b) don't have any more possessions you can be forced to discard.

I think this is best demonstrated with some examples. Let's pretend Finn has 4 total assets. 3 of them are trinkets, 1 of them is just a generic asset.

Finn suffers an effect to 'discard half your assets.' Finn at this point has to meet that requirement as much as possible. Here's some possibilities:

--Finn could discard 2 trinkets. He's allowed to choose trinkets to discard, his power says it's ok. He's now discarded half his assets, so he's done.

--Finn discards 1 trinket and the generic asset. Again, he's allowed to choose trinkets, but he doesn't HAVE to choose all trinkets if he chooses any, he can split it up if he wants.

--Finn discards just the generic asset. At this point, he hasn't completely fulfilled the requirement of the discard effect, but the discard effect can't force him to discard the trinkets. At this point, he's done as much as he's required to do, and can stop discarding.

--Finn can NOT say "Well I pick these two trinkets but then I don't discard them so I don't have to discard anything." He will have to discard at least 1 asset (if it's the only generic asset) or 2 assets (if he discards trinkets)

In another example, Finn has 1 trinket, and 3 generic assets, and draws the same 'discard half your assets' effect. You can see that there's no way for Finn to avoid discarding 2 cards, although the choice of which 2 is still up to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Do
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You don't have to discard items, trinkets, or allies unless you choose to.

That's it, simple as that. The only "possessions" that his ability doesn't affect are tickets, clues, tasks and spells. However, if you keep all/have remaining any number of items, trinkets, or allies, you suffer the consequences listed on the card.

Edit: formatting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luiginumber1 wrote:
Finn Edwards' ability says
Quote:
Effects cannot cause you to discard your Item, Trinket, or Ally possessions unless you choose to.
You do as much as possible.
Let's say you have 4 Items and 2 Tasks for a grand total of 6 possessions.
Half of it would be 3 possessions to discard.
The smallest discard you can get away with is 2 Tasks.
If you would prefer to keep one of the Tasks then you would have to discard all the required 3 possessions by choosing to discard some of your Items.
I hope I got it clear enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Gottlieb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken DDoox wrote:
You don't have to discard items, trinkets, or allies unless you choose to.

That's it, simple as that. The only "possessions" that his ability doesn't affect are tickets, clues, tasks and spells. However, if you keep all/have remaining any number of items, trinkets, or allies, you suffer the consequences listed on the card.

Edit: formatting.

This isn't what I was asking. I'm trying to figure out whether or not an effect forcing him to discard half of his possessions counts as "choosing" because the player has to choose which half of his assets he is going to discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignas Masilionis
United States
NYC
Queens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Bell (Chipacabra) and Krzysiek Domański(haroth9842)
Both answered your question. You choose what to discard, so if you choose to discard something your power does not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Gottlieb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought so. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.