Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul T.
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Apologies for the long thread name.

Read far and wide, up and down and can't grok the "correct" answer.

If I have (for example) hide armour granting me shield 1 against the next source of damage from an attack, and once the damage from a monster attack is calculated by drawing an attack modifier card from the monster deck, do I have to use a hide armour charge even if I choose to negate the damage by losing a card from my hand (or two from my discard)?

The FAQ mentions choosing the order to apply damage reduction items and effects, allowing you to reduce damage to zero and then stop applying damage reducing effects, but is this limited to items that grant shields?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not have to.

You do not have to use any item effects if you do not want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
You do not have to.

I didn't think persistent item effects were optional. If I had a "shield 2 vs the next 2 damage sources" sort of effect, I didn't think that was option once the armor was activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckessel wrote:
kzinti wrote:
You do not have to.

I didn't think persistent item effects were optional. If I had a "shield 2 vs the next 2 damage sources" sort of effect, I didn't think that was option once the armor was activated.

You are correct. Items like hide armor that reduce the next X sources of damage are not optional. Items like the shield, which allows you to spend the item to add shield are always optional.

Anyway, back to the original question. I would play that if you lose a card to prevent damage then you don't need to use your armor, since you wouldn't be taking damage, the source of damage has been reduced to zero already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:
I would play that if you lose a card to prevent damage then you don't need to use your armor, since you wouldn't be taking damage, the source of damage has been reduced to zero already.

This. You can lose a card to negate damage before using other defensive effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you could also choose to use other defensive effects first, before losing the card. You might want to do this to exhaust your hide armor, so you can get it back if you were planning on long resting anyway, or to get an xp from one of the Brute abilities that absorb damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.