Hide
15 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Time to man Up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Good
msg tools
I would appreciate some sort of advice on my solo game.
Started off pretty well considering its Kingdom Death. I didn't have a death until the Butcher. Even beat the level 1 kingsman rocking a screaming armour and rawhide set. It did cost 1 survivor his life and maimed 2 others.
Now in year 10 do I tackle a lvl 1 Phoenix? He might be TPK but Im bored of hunting Lions and I have everything I currently need from the SA. A better Bow would be helpful but is it worth the risk?
Oh this a Core game only. My gaming group has more options but the group has never gotten to the point of tackling the phoenix(we are in year 2 of our 3rd settlement and play once a month), bad luck + the Butcher is a wipe.

Thoughts?

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sure, why not?
Just don´t risk your a-team of survivors or survivors that are only a few levels away from a mastery.
The phoenix is very doable.
The biggest risk is that your survivors may age faster than you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you can beat level 2 lions/antelopes, and took care of the Kingsman, then yeah go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd be able to beat a phoenix. He's largely about offense in my experience. He has a lot of extremely aggressive attacks so you just need to kill him ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa whoa...I think you should individual up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Good
msg tools
So...fought the level 1 Phoenix and it started off well. Then my Katar wielder died due to trauma and my spear wielder became a grandpa. We won and got a nice haul of resources but I'm missing a piece for the Arc Bow and I'm not sure its worth hunting again. Is the Arc Bow that much better?
We have a Regal Visit upcoming and I am trying to save my A List survivors from Death but I hear the Hand is brutal and I don't have much population to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Arc bow is best bow in core game. If you go towards bow mastery, it is worth every penny.

The Hand... well, read carefully showdown preparation and you could get an important hint to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Yarab
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
sirgalin wrote:
Whoa whoa...I think you should individual up!

I see what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are in a similar situation:
- We are in lantern year 7, so we have 2 more hunts before the King's Man fight.
- Our survivors are well equipped and have dash, but not surge yet.
- Level 1 Lion and Antelope seem way too easy us now.
- Level 2 Lion and level 1 Phoenix seem a bit too scary.
- We would like to complete our set of white lion armor before the nemesis fight, still needing 3 pieces.
- We also don't have the Ammonia innovation yet.

Taken this into account, my friend suggested to hunt the Lion for the next two years. He wants to hunt level 1 Lion though, to make sure that none of our strong survivors die. Especially since our settlement is down to 7, due to a few miserable events (only 1 showdown death after the prologue though). I on the other hand wonder if we should try the level 2 Lion. Am I crazy or should he man up?

A compromise would be to hunt level 1 Lion first, then see what we get and if we can make another spear or bow to hunt a level 2 Lion during the next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly, you need to hunt Lions to try to get a free Ammonia. You need leather badly, but I fear you have no time left to build some shields in time for the King's Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it safe and hunted two level 1 White Lions. Got ammonia and just enough white fur to finish our lion armor set. We also finally got surge!

Next fight will be against the King's Man.

After that, we'll see if we hunt level 1 Antelope, level 2 White Lion or even level 1 Phoenix (listed in order of increasing unlikeliness). Guess I'll take a look what the leather worker has to offer. It also depends on how many good survivors we lose in the King's Man fight. And in the upcoming murder event. (We drew a certain settlement event card three times in eight years. So far, we lost more survivors in the settelment phase than in hunt and showdown phase combined.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C SS
msg tools
mbmbmb
My top sources of deaths are
1. Intimacy - uses most of my SotF rerolls and still kills a lot of people.
2. King's man - this guy kills someone every time, and
Spoiler (click to reveal)
that's on top of the guy he "kills" just by dying

3. Settlement events - so many horrible ways to die when returning home from a hunt

About the phoenix, i have never gone for it on ly7, but i find it manageable soon after that. And i just got the bow after hunting five of them, and it's awesome; also there isn't really competition in the core game for a late game bow, so it's this one or nothing...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Try to make sure it never pulls some of it's worst AI cards and the rest don't hit that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Slayer wrote:
We played it safe and hunted two level 1 White Lions. Got ammonia and just enough white fur to finish our lion armor set. We also finally got surge!

Next fight will be against the King's Man.

I would love to hear how this goes. devil

Misery loves company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm.

I just finished the 1st kingsman (by finished, what I really mean is got completely wiped out in less than 10 rounds) and my death count is already at 14.

Go me!

I've had 0 good luck this 1st campaign, except for the scrap sword I'm toting around and the survivor who died the same year she was born. ;-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's time to buy a Gorm or Flower knight expansion!

There is a pretty big leap between lev 2 lion/antelope and the lev 1 Phoenix. There isn't an intermediary though (without expansions) so I say go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.