Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play Claymores on a group of units moving into a hex, and score a hit, who picks the affected unit?
(We said defender.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
weishaupt wrote:
If I play Claymores on a group of units moving into a hex, and score a hit, who picks the affected unit?
(We said defender.)

This sort of question comes up quite a bit in my games - same question arises for artillery. There was a thread I started on this in June - see Who allocates multiple hits - attacker or defender?

We didn’t end up getting an official answer, but settled on it being the attacker. However it is debatable. Hopefully someone from Flying Pig will give a definitive answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
(We said defender.)

Use whatever method you and your opponent choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
(We said defender.)

Eddie isn't entirely correct (but thanks anyway, Eddie)

Neither the defender or attacker picks. Randomly select. For example, if an artillery barrage scores three hits against full-strength, unshaken squads, both squad would be shaken, and then you randomly determine one squad to be reduced.

On the other hand, if in the above example, one of the squads was already shaken, the first arty hit would be used to shake the other squad, and then both squads would be reduced, because "When attacking a hex of all soft targets, hits must be distributed evenly." (Page 10, top right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
(We said defender.)

Neither the defender or attacker picks. Randomly select. For example, if an artillery barrage scores three hits against full-strength, unshaken squads, both squad would be shaken, and then you randomly determine one squad to be reduced.

On the other hand, if in the above example, one of the squads was already shaken, the first arty hit would be used to shake the other squad, and then both squads would be reduced, because "When attacking a hex of all soft targets, hits must be distributed evenly." (Page 10, top right).

I do what I can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
(We said defender.)

Thanks Mark. Would you randomly select in any other situation where there is an additional hit to be allocated to more than one unit - e.g. suppressive fire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakon wrote:
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
(We said defender.)

Thanks Mark. Would you randomly select in any other situation where there is an additional hit to be allocated to more than one unit - e.g. suppressive fire?

I would say yes after reading Marks last repy. Seems ok to just randomly assign the odd damage point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.