BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need a long term game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DARRYL KOPMAN
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My buddies and me need a game that we can really get into and spend time and money. Something that we can replay. Campaign style with character/clan/species advancement and rewards. Expansions and options. But, we don't paint miniatures (nor want to pay someone to paint them, nor play with unpainted ones). And we don't just want the same old dungeon crawl or tactical battles. And, nothing cooperative. Am I making any sense? Is there anything out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, nothing with miniatures, nothing cooperative, no dungeon crawls (which are almost always coop anyway), and no tactical wargames, but something persistent.

I don't know of any games that are persistent but have no models, aren't coop AND aren't wargames. Everything I can think of is at least one of the three.

But maybe some other gamers here can think of a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe competitive Mage Knight?

Otherwise it sounds like you might just be looking for a miniatures game. How necessary is the campaign element? What about extensively expandable, like Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the current lists of legacy and campaign games: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/25404/legacy
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/24281/campaign-gam...

Charterstone maybe? I don't know much about it. No miniatures. Not cooperative. Legacy worker placement.

Otherwise, for species and evolution, you can't beat Dominant Species. But it's not a campaign or legacy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first one that came to mind for me was ...

Xia: Legends of the Drift System: Now the only figures present are the spaceships, one for each player and they are already painted, quite nicely I might add. It's not coop. Make sure to check out the expansion which adds a lot to the game.

Another that has standees instead of miniatures is Near and Far and is also non-coop. Plus it has a number of ways it can be played.

If I think of any more then I'll get back to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not really a campaign, but the first that came to mind was Magic Realm. Long-term to learn how to play and games can take a while.

But by "spend time and money" and "expansions and options," that sounds like you want something customizable. Miniatures that you don't need to paint brings Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie to mind, but that's just more tactical battles you don't want.

Perhaps one of the current CCG-type games like X-Wing suggested above, Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men, Star Wars: Destiny, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game maybe that's what you are looking for?? It comes with missions.

Or wait and see how Star Wars: Legion pans out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jade Knight wrote:
So, nothing with miniatures,

Prepainted models should be fine though, if I read it right?

So yeah, Star Wars X-Wing, or Armada would probably fit the bill?

But then you've got issues with the tactical battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wouldn’t mind a card game, LCGs are heavily expandable games that give lots of meaty choices. You get the fun of a CCG without having to chase rares, so you can really focus on the game rather than the collecting. These games are really designed to be played over and over again.

Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game recently came out, and it’s a great time to get in on the ground floor. It has 7 diverse clans with diverse play styles.

Android: Netrunner is getting a revised core set now, so it’s also a good time to jump in.

If you want something cooperative and dungeon crawly Arkham Horror: The Card Game is a fantastic choice.
Edit- just saw your ‘no co-op’ stipulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest I can think of is SeaFall, but as a Legacy game, it's not replayable once you finish the campaign. Also, it's not very good to be honest, it has some great concepts, but feels underdeveloped, and the gameplay often falls flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you might want to have a look at Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

or any of its cousins

it has campaignstyle gameplay. It's a lot of fun and your deck evolve over time. you also risk loosing stuff forever. not legacy but campaign non the less

else I would suggest Hero Realms with the char packs and Hero Realms: The Ruin of Thandar Campaign Deck

else go for a defunct LCG that has great competitive gameplay. Warhammer: Invasion cheap to pick up fun to play and punishing as hell.
its my go to ,to replace magic currently..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DARRYL KOPMAN
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yeah, we looked at X-Wing. Maybe if it was more than just starfighters. Had more of a galactic and strategic element. Maybe Armada has that. I'll check.

And, Star Was: Imperial Assault looked good as did Shadows of Brimstone, 'til we realized all the painting of figures!

Arkham Horror is of course a coop, but has the expansions and some depth. Is there something like Talisman that has some Legacy? Other ideas were some twist on Civilization or Supremacy?

And as far as tactical, well, it's okay, as long as there's more to it than that.

Appreciate the suggestions. Will look them all up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought of another ...

Secrets of the Lost Tomb This is the second edition of the game. The first had miniatures only as extras to be purchased separately. The base game came with stand ups. I'm not sure about the newest edition with regards to miniatures/stand ups. There are numerous expansions with many scenarios to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love X-wing, but if you want more strategic, do consider Armada.

I would also suggest you look into Sails of Glory and/or Wings of Glory.

I think Wings of Glory might be slightly more tactical, as is X-wing, and Sails of Glory is a little slower and so it might be more strategic. The minis are prepainted, and there is enough to keep you busy buying new content for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the no coop rule goes, I must say that games like the Lord of the Rings LCG and Arkham Horror LCG do not really feel like a regular coop. Yes, you work together, but it's not like a Pandemic or Dead of Winter.

Maybe have a look at a playthrough, I know Shut Up and Sit Down have done a good playthrough for Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mudekk wrote:

And, Star Was: Imperial Assault looked good as did Shadows of Brimstone, 'til we realized all the painting of figures!

I played multiple campaigns on Imperial Assault with unpainted figures. I know a number of serious wargamers (ie people who own thousands of intricately painted minis) who play IA with unpainted minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
mudekk wrote:

Arkham Horror is of course a coop, but has the expansions and some depth. Is there something like Talisman that has some Legacy? Other ideas were some twist on Civilization or Supremacy?

Trence wrote:
As far as the no coop rule goes, I must say that games like the Lord of the Rings LCG and Arkham Horror LCG do not really feel like a regular coop. Yes, you work together, but it's not like a Pandemic or Dead of Winter.

Maybe have a look at a playthrough, I know Shut Up and Sit Down have done a good playthrough for Arkham.

I will also explicitly point out that we’re talking about the Arkham Horror card came, not board game. The card game is a campaign style game where you get to level up your characters and make decisions that change the outcomes of future scenarios. The board game is a once-and-done experience, though it does have lots of expansions to change up the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:

I will also explicitly point out that we’re talking about the Arkham Horror card came, not board game. The card game is a campaign style game where you get to level up your characters and make decisions that change the outcomes of future scenarios. The board game is a once-and-done experience, though it does have lots of expansions to change up the experience.

While the LotR card game doesn't really have a campaign experience like that, the saga expansions do offer a campaign mode. And the big expansions combined with the smaller ones in a cycle do tell a story and it's easy enough to create a deck to last a cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trence wrote:
And the big expansions combined with the smaller ones in a cycle do tell a story and it's easy enough to create a deck to last a cycle.
I beg to differ. That definitely was far beyond my deck-building skills. When I stopped playing (right after the Heirs of Numenor set) I had a hard time beating scenarios even if I tailored my decks specifically to beat them.

I vastly prefer the approach taken by the Arkham Horror LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kasimirtlw wrote:
you might want to have a look at Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

or any of its cousins

it has campaignstyle gameplay. It's a lot of fun and your deck evolve over time. you also risk loosing stuff forever. not legacy but campaign non the less

But it's most definitely a co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.