Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Pomeranz
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a question that came up in our last game that I couldn't adaquately resolve.

Normally, if you have the aquaduct, you get a resource if you don't get any production on a roll. What if you'd normally get production on a roll, but the robber blocks it? Does the aquaduct activate in that case or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Aquaducts and the Robber?
Tarindel (#30849),
This also occured recently. The text says: If you receive no production on a turn, thus I would argue that your aqueduct would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tarindel (#30849),

per the KOSMOS FAQ, a player holding the Aqueduct gets a resource if the number is blocked by the robber.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pomeranz
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks for the information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Wickware
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
No, no, NO!!! The Robber dosent block production it robs you of your production. When a number is rolled and the robber sits on or near that number that person dosent production since your being robbed not because you production number didn't come up. Once you plce the robber on a number of a player with the Aquaduct that number is being robbed not blocked, and that player is not able to call non production since their number came up. The other numbers on the board produce in that turn so the rule of not recieving production is still working, its just that they are now being robed not blocked or unable to produce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
We always play that the Aqueduct supercedes the robber, reguardless of semantic quibbling.yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dylan,

Nice theory, and probably a better ruling. However, I believe the ruling is explicit that if you don't get a resource, you pick one, no matter what the reason. As far as I know, this would even apply to not getting a resource simply because the resources have run out.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Wickware
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I say it keeps the game unbalanced, the person(s) who get the aquaduct first almost always win the game since nobody else can keep up with their resorce output. A few bad rolls for everyone else and they (the aquaduct holders) can run circles around the other players. It looks like this rule is a game by game, table by table dispute. I thought it was in the best intrest of all Catan players to see another opinion of this disputed rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Dylan and that is the way we always play it. The robber should be a penalty and however nice it might be to dodge the bullet he still robs you. So you produced, therefore no aqueduct, then you was robbed, your honour!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger is correct, the robber should be a penalty. If one would be allowed to take a resource of his choice when the blocked number is thrown, being robbed would be a reward... It would even be worth the loss of one resource at the moment the robber is placed. Players could even be tempted to place the robber next to one of their own villages or cities...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garion wrote:
If one would be allowed to take a resource of his choice when the blocked number is thrown, being robbed would be a reward.

I certainly don't think that's necessarily true. Especially in the game's later stages, where you're receiving 2-4 resources per hex (and let's face it, hexes like that are where the robber's going to end up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Wickware
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
maybe later on in the game it wont matter but I say at the first half of the game whom ever gets the aquaduct first has the best chance to win if the robber rule isn't in effect, it just evens out the game I think. I've played it both ways and to keep the game fair and the winner still left to chance and skill of that winner its best to let the robber steal your gotten resorces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
If you are lucky enough to get the Aqueduct early in the game then you should be able to reap its full benefits. Having the aquduct certainly helps, but I've played plenty of game in which the first one to get the aqueduct does not win. Usually if someone is pulling far ahead, there are other ways of slowing them down aside from the robber (i.e. Wedding, Master Merchant, Inventor, Deserter, ...). Remember that you have to produce 6 Paper to get an Aqueduct, and starting with just 1 city, this is rarely a quick and easy thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ivar T.
Norway
Ålesund
Møre og Romsdal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwickware wrote:
No, no, NO!!! The Robber dosent block production it robs you of your production. When a number is rolled and the robber sits on or near that number that person dosent production since your being robbed not because you production number didn't come up. Once you plce the robber on a number of a player with the Aquaduct that number is being robbed not blocked, and that player is not able to call non production since their number came up. The other numbers on the board produce in that turn so the rule of not recieving production is still working, its just that they are now being robed not blocked or unable to produce.

The argument do not work: If the robber robs all your production, you never recieve it. Then the Aquaduct will give you one card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wow... lots of opinions about what the ruling 'should' be.

The games is played that the Aqueduct allows a player to choose a resource if his only number to supply a resource is blocked by the Robber.

ref: KOSMOS FAQ http://www.diesiedlervoncatan.de./index2.htm

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Wickware
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
that is just the point the robber does not block any numbers it takes the resorces you recieve in that roll of the dice, very easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ivar T.
Norway
Ålesund
Møre og Romsdal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwickware wrote:
that is just the point the robber does not block any numbers it takes the resorces you recieve in that roll of the dice, very easy!

I do not recieve any resources when the robber steals my production, this is a semantic discussion...
Let us settle down with the FAQ-answer, shall we?

(Either way, I am right )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Wickware
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Still its so easy everybody misses it, you roll the dice, because of that roll you receive your resorces, then the robber steals your resorces (if there are no resorces the robber cannot steal anything from you)this is true because if there is another number the same that the robber is on it receives resorces ie: the #5 may give resorces to another player not covered by the robber but your #5 will be robbed, you must have resorces to then be robbed. If a #10 is rolled you do not get robbed since the robber is still on the #5. EASY!

Right of wrong I will say again its probably a table by table, game by game rule to resolve but I'm still right here, hand down LOL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ivar T.
Norway
Ålesund
Møre og Romsdal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The question we are discussing is this: Does the robber take the resources before the player recieve them or after?
The answer is of no interest though...

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daoust
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From to the new updated rules that come with the 10th ann. 3-D catan game:

"Aquaduct (Green) : You may take one ressource if you produce none. If you receive no raw materials from a production roll, you may chooe one ressource of your choice (ore, grain, wool, lumber or brick)

Exception: if the die roll is 7 you may not use this ability. However, if the robber blocks your only production, you may use this ability to draw a card."

You may play the game anyway you wish. But the official rule says you do draw a card if the robber blocks your only production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Wickware
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Great, that will make all this easier from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ivar T.
Norway
Ålesund
Møre og Romsdal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, thumbs up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good old KOSMOS.

Just like their FAQ said.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Wickware
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Wait, that only works if you have only 1 city and 1 settlement on the same number being blocked by the robber at the same time?! Is the right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ivar T.
Norway
Ålesund
Møre og Romsdal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwickware wrote:
Wait, that only works if you have only 1 city and 1 settlement on the same number being blocked by the robber at the same time?! Is the right?

I do not understand what you mean, could you please explain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.