BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Yet another embarassing Trump moment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/362082-navajo-nat...

Calling Warren 'Pocahontas' during a celebration to honor native Americans that served in WWII. With a picture of Andrew Jackson in the background. Trump missed 'sensitivity' training, apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
What a total tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
TheChin! wrote:
What a total tool.

That's being EXTREMELY generous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Poll
When Herr Gropenfurher does things like this they are.
On purpose, librul tears are delicious.
On accident, because he's a narcissist with no self control.
      63 answers
Poll created by rcbevco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
My poll is "jokey" but actually I'm quite serious. Given the number of faux pas I'm starting to wonder. Given his shitty delivery of an even shitter "joke" it's hard to tell if it was planned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing you have to ask is, if this is what he's like in public, what the hell is he saying when he's in private?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
My poll is "jokey" but actually I'm quite serious. Give the number of faux pas I'm starting to wonder.

The problem is that he thinks it's A, it looks from the outside like B, but in truth it's closer to "he has no clue how poorly his act plays because he can afford to surround himself with "yes" men and gets just enough support from the crowd to believe he's all aces."

Makes me think of something I've realized recently. "Cuck." It's a really weird insult in that the person using it clearly thinks it the harshest thing out there, but the person hearing it takes a "what are you talking about" attitude toward it. So it's intended as an insult, but it falls flat. Trump's entire schtick seems like that. A bully, but now that everyone is watching and he can't just steal people's lunch money overtly, the bullying just looks desperate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
The thing you have to ask is, if this is what he's like in public, what the hell is he saying when he's in private?

I'm still stuck on the "if this is what he's like in public, how the hell did this country elect him President" question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
My poll is "jokey" but actually I'm quite serious. Give the number of faux pas I'm starting to wonder.

The problem is that he thinks it's A, it looks from the outside like B, but in truth it's closer to "he has no clue how poorly his act plays because he can afford to surround himself with "yes" men and gets just enough support from the crowd to believe he's all aces."

Makes me think of something I've realized recently. "Cuck." It's a really weird insult in that the person using it clearly thinks it the harshest thing out there, but the person hearing it takes a "what are you talking about" attitude toward it. So it's intended as an insult, but it falls flat. Trump's entire schtick seems like that. A bully, but now that everyone is watching and he can't just steal people's lunch money overtly, the bullying just looks desperate.

Yes. I don't see why the poll is zero-sum, i.e. both things can be true at the same time. It's Schroedinger's Racist Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Andrew Jackson part is the worst part. No wait, Sarah Huckabee Sanders is the worst part.

About Pocahontas, he didn't mean it in a racist sense, he meant it in a purely derogatory sense (parse that!).

About Elizabeth Warren, what is the evidence that she isn't native American? What is the evidence that she lied about it? What is the evidence that she exploited that status to get ahead? What is the evidence that saying you are native American has ever been an "advantage"? I think these are all just "Trumpisms" (i.e. alternate facts) but I may have missed something.

If someone asks me what my heritage is, I would say I'm half Polish/half Irish. If someone asked me to prove it, I would say that that's what I was told. If someone told me that wasn't good enough proof, I really wouldn't be able to do anything about it. (PS, no one would ever ask me to prove it but for sake of argument).

There's so much ignorance to unpack in that little "joke" (?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

I'm still stuck on the "if this is what he's like in public, how the hell did this country elect him President" question.
We were just talking about this last night and how we were actually a little embarrassed that we were actually relieved when his "grab them by the pussy" quote came out because it meant that now there was no way he would win. But then he did. After all the stupid things that caused people to lose in the past, this obvious and horrible revelation of someone's scummy thoughts and actions should have been a slam dunk, immediately-leave-the-race disqualifier. It really did increase the cynicism level in the country a great amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretender to the Throne of Alsace-Lorraine
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dkearns wrote:

If someone asks me what my heritage is, I would say I'm half Polish/half Irish.

. . .

There's so much ignorance to unpack in that little "joke" (?).

Hey, speaking of jokes, you ever hear this one? A Pole and an Irishman walk into a bar, then the bartender says "Hi Daniel."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
My poll is "jokey" but actually I'm quite serious. Give the number of faux pas I'm starting to wonder. Given his shitty delivery of an even shitter "joke" it's hard to tell if it was planned?

Trump's usual crowds would have cheered on his mention of Pocahontas, because they know it's a reference to Warren. So to answer your poll: both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

Well, we all know the answer why:

1) Racism never went away; it just went underground. For a long time, it was at least somewhat unacceptable to be outwardly racist in public, or expect to win office based on public racial coding.
2) 40+ years of direct messaging and racial coding had intended and unintended effects: ever since 1965, all the way through Nixon's "silent majority" and "tough on crime" weasel words, all the way through Reagan's "welfare queens", Bush's Willie Horton ad and even Clinton's welfare reform initiative, up to and including the Black Lives Matter "thug" messaging of today, race has been a central factor in winning the votes of casually racist people of all income strata since the Civil Rights Act was passed. This is just a matter of historical record.
3) Trump's political genius was in seeing the market need, and making the subtext text, in a party that seemed to talk the talk about its racist messaging but never seemed to enact racist laws.
4) What are the Trump initiatives that have actually succeeded? The ones he's put the most effort behind? The ones that he cares most deeply about? The ones that he goes to repeated court cases for? Answer: the ones that have the most racial coding/animus behind them. Even now, Trump's DOJ is withholding information about the *latest* travel ban in spite of FOIA requests/sunshine laws -- precisely because information about these deliberations would almost certainly provide 100% certainty that the travel ban was about banning Muslim entry into the United States.

So really, the answer we all know is the case for Why Trump Won (even allowing for a difference of ~30K votes or so in swing states): white supremacy stoked by generational conservative media messaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

We were just talking about this last night and how we were actually a little embarrassed that we were actually relieved when his "grab them by the pussy" quote came out because it meant that now there was no way he would win. But then he did. After all the stupid things that caused people to lose in the past, this obvious and horrible revelation of someone's scummy thoughts and actions should have been a slam dunk, immediately-leave-the-race disqualifier. It really did increase the cynicism level in the country a great amount.

Given that shouting H'YAAAH used to disqualify someone from becoming president, Trump was effectively "disqualified" in the traditional sense long before that tape came out. He wouldn't have won if he hadn't first thoroughly broken the etiquette of politics, not apologized for breaking it, and then continued dragging the shards through the mud until now, with no indication of stopping it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

Well, we all know the answer why:

1) Racism never went away; it just went underground. For a long time, it was at least somewhat unacceptable to be outwardly racist in public, or expect to win office based on public racial coding.
2) 40+ years of direct messaging and racial coding had intended and unintended effects: ever since 1965, all the way through Nixon's "silent majority" and "tough on crime" weasel words, all the way through Reagan's "welfare queens", Bush's Willie Horton ad and even Clinton's welfare reform initiative, up to and including the Black Lives Matter "thug" messaging of today, race has been a central factor in winning the votes of casually racist people of all income strata since the Civil Rights Act was passed. This is just a matter of historical record.
3) Trump's political genius was in seeing the market need, and making the subtext text, in a party that seemed to talk the talk about its racist messaging but never seemed to enact racist laws.
4) What are the Trump initiatives that have actually succeeded? The ones he's put the most effort behind? The ones that he cares most deeply about? The ones that he goes to repeated court cases for? Answer: the ones that have the most racial coding/animus behind them. Even now, Trump's DOJ is withholding information about the *latest* travel ban in spite of FOIA requests/sunshine laws -- precisely because information about these deliberations would almost certainly provide 100% certainty that the travel ban was about banning Muslim entry into the United States.

So really, the answer we all know is the case for Why Trump Won (even allowing for a difference of ~30K votes or so in swing states): white supremacy stoked by generational conservative media messaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Because this is how a terrifying number of Americans think and act in private.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

Because this is how a terrifying number of Americans think and act in private.

And increasingly since the rise of Trump, in public.

Witness Charlottesville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

It is the harshest insult possible to those who use it. To the Blood and Soil folks, it shows that they enjoy their "owned" women (hence their culture) being sexually dominated by those of a different culture or race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

About Elizabeth Warren, what is the evidence that she isn't native American? What is the evidence that she lied about it?…

or maybe Warren is like so many other Americans who all think they're "part Cherokee" (or whatever) and almost never are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jackson portrait is a staffer mess-up. I doubt any president decides where to place their podium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
crescent_gamer wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
My poll is "jokey" but actually I'm quite serious. Give the number of faux pas I'm starting to wonder. Given his shitty delivery of an even shitter "joke" it's hard to tell if it was planned?

Trump's usual crowds would have cheered on his metion of Pocahontas, because they know it's a reference to Warren. So to answer your poll: both.

"I'll bet at least 20% of voters 'got wood' over him saying Pocahontas."
Sam Hudson 7:50 am today

"You're kidding"
Linda Hudson 7:51 am today

"Maybe it's only 15%"
Sam Hudson 7:52 am today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

Remember the Apprentice off-camera footage, the stuff that frigging Tom Arnold was agonizing over releasing in violation of several signed agreements?

Actual in-private moments about black contestants. Funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
dkearns wrote:

About Elizabeth Warren, what is the evidence that she isn't native American? What is the evidence that she lied about it?…

or maybe Warren is like so many other Americans who all think they're "part Cherokee" (or whatever) and almost never are.

What is your basis for your assumption of "almost never are"? How many such Americans do you think there are in the category of "claiming Native American heritage but don't actually have that heritage"?

This is the whole issue that I don't understand. If someone told me their heritage why would I doubt them? Why would it matter? And why would it only be doubted in some cases whereas, again using myself as an example, I don't think anyone would ever call me out for saying I'm Polish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.