Subject: Differing values among round scoring tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my first GP game onwards, I was surprised to see different VP values granted on round tiles for building mines (in general or on gaia planets) and trade centers. Of course this only seems surprising if one is familiar with TM, there similar round tiles only differed in their cult payout.

I would love to get some perspective from the playtesters (or ideally even the designers) on this design decision. Was this introduced early in the game's creation process? Or was it added later on, in order to create a wider variety of game states? Why wasn't the tile for PI/AC split into two distinct versions?

Additionally, since it is touching on this subject: Why was the tile granting VPs for temples/laboratories removed? Was it due to the newly introduced booster rewarding VPs for labs when passing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluesheep wrote:
Why was the tile granting VPs for temples/laboratories removed?

there is such a tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
bluesheep wrote:
Why was the tile granting VPs for temples/laboratories removed?

there is such a tile?

I think only in the "special terrains" mini-expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know that tile is even part if the tournament, so I consider it de-facto standard at this point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The different values on the 2 Gaia Mine and Trading Station round tiles were most likely backed up by some data during playtesting. There were a lot of games and data collected for it.

IMO, the 4vp for the Trade Station is more encouraging to build just TS for that round, while the 3vp for TS is more encouraging to build TS->Lab and maybe another TS.

I believe that there was not a Research Lab round tile for 3 reasons. One is the round BOO (round booster) that gives vp for Labs. Two is that Labs are so good anyway because they grant a tech tile (which comes with a tech step) and knowledge income. The tech tile always grants a tech step which is worth 4vp at L3 and higher, and it can be standard or advanced. Advanced ones are exceedingly nice. Three is that the TS for 3vp could lead to a Lab that round too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
The different values on the 2 Gaia Mine and Trading Station round tiles were most likely backed up by some data during playtesting. There were a lot of games and data collected for it.

Yep, it was quite late in the playtesting when they introduced this change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to hear, thanks for helping me satisfy my curiosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

IMO, the 4vp for the Trade Station is more encouraging to build just TS for that round, while the 3vp for TS is more encouraging to build TS->Lab and maybe another TS.

I think they are a good addition for exactly this reason. It's a subtle point difference but it allows for more strategy & variability in the long run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.