Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Greetings!

Today, the KS main page gets a facelift with two sets of tiles. Letting everyone here know, as you have a hand in their renovation.

Service Tiles (just up): https://imgur.com/jzXr2KL
Other Category Tiles (later this afternoon): https://imgur.com/vQBcmrg

A couple notes—

1. Yes, the Servants' Quarters went from -£100 to +£100 for a market adjustment. After continued play, this was on a short list of tweaks that I decided to do now.

2. I tried to incorporate the call for a box or frame with the new, non-service tiles. Requirements in black on the left, favor(s) in white on the right.

3. Yes, I dumped MARKET when there is no adjustment on a tile. I am going to need that real estate for 1, 2, 3, and 4 player setup rules.

Enjoy! And thank you.

DH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Well now, those look pretty good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look excellent, looking forward to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Dan - this whole project is looking really sharp! Hopefully The Dice Tower guys will get wind of this project and it gets mentioned on their Crowd Surfing video feature (which highlights Kickstarter projects). More people need to know about this game and how cool it is. Well done!

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Trgovac
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look really great! I LOVE the Servants Quarters ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pratt
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Congrats Dan - this whole project is looking really sharp! Hopefully The Dice Tower guys will get wind of this project and it gets mentioned on their Crowd Surfing video feature (which highlights Kickstarter projects). More people need to know about this game and how cool it is. Well done!

Herm

Might be worth telling
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke McCarthy
msg tools
mbmbmb
My goodness are the new designs up on Kickstarter an improvement. I wasn't even one of those who was bothered by the prototype designs, but these new ones are amazing. Look great, and the information is presented in an even clearer fashion. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Momuments are next.

Thoughts?

Old
: https://imgur.com/Cx1rNCm
New: https://imgur.com/k5cmCRh

Thanks!

DH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke McCarthy
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Reeve wrote:
Momuments are next.

Thoughts?

Old

Thanks!

DH

First, these are definitely an improvement over the old versions! They looked great to me! I don't know what else you could do to make these pictures work better on these tiles. Nice job!

That said, when I showed my wife, she did not like them as much as I do. Her opinion was that it would be hard to get images to integrate well with the design of a small game piece like that. She said that this is probably why most games have illustrated art, because then you can incorporate something designed to mesh well with the design space.

Admittedly, that is frustrating feedback. It's certainly too late at this stage to be thinking about illustrators. So I would just file that away for future editions and future games.

So, short version of the above: great job on these; maybe think about hiring an illustrator in the future for situations like for these tiles; but we can't stress enough how much we appreciate YOU and the work you are doing to make this game great. I am sure most people are going to love these new versions. They really look amazing compared to the old tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Luke's wife is correct, but an illustrator would significantly delay the whole project. I'd rather have a game in my hands and being played with the possible future possibility of a deluxe illustrated edition than to wait a year for illustrations to be completed (...and as anyone who has been following certain kickstarters knows, it really can be a year!). That said, I 100% support getting an illustrated for a deluxe version if this game is successful.

These are undoubtedly much nicer than the originals and I am grateful that Dan has done so much to fulfill our desires for better graphic design. The new components are light years ahead of the old ones. I remember with the original design, I feared that I wouldn't even be able to get the game to the table. With the new design, I don't see that being a realistic concern at all, and I think many of us appreciate the unpretentious simplicity & elegance of the new design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes the Monuments except for the gargoyle, which she says doesn't stand out very well as it's grey on grey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke McCarthy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
My wife likes....

I really appreciate how feedback on the design has become a family endeavor. That speaks to how solid the game already is and how interested we all are in seeing it succeed. Kudos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
manduke wrote:
Rindel wrote:
My wife likes....

I really appreciate how feedback on the design has become a family endeavor. That speaks to how solid the game already is and how interested we all are in seeing it succeed. Kudos!

Wife picked me. Ergo, Wife has excellent taste. Ergo, whatever Wife likes is excellent.

I think there's a flaw in the logic somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke McCarthy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
manduke wrote:
Rindel wrote:
My wife likes....

Wife picked me. Ergo, Wife has excellent taste. Ergo, whatever Wife likes is excellent.

I think there's a flaw in the logic somewhere?

Lol. Seems perfectly logical to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reeve wrote:
Momuments are next.

Thoughts?

Old

Thanks!

DH

JMO, but are illustrations or pictures really needed on the Monument tiles? The Improvement tiles and Service tiles look great without any artwork on them. Wouldn't the Monument tiles match with them better without art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
lucky henry wrote:
The Reeve wrote:
Momuments are next.

Thoughts?

Old

Thanks!

DH

JMO, but are illustrations or pictures really needed on the Monument tiles? The Improvement tiles and Service tiles look great without any artwork on them. Wouldn't the Monument tiles match with them better without art?

I think the images on the monuments are a nice touch. Unlike the other tiles they don't have a large amount of text needed for gameplay, so there's lots of extra space for the thematic touch.

I think they also make the monuments stand out, and act a reminder to apply their reputation boost each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Lucky Henry, are you not a fan of having art in general or is this specific art somehow off? I’m wondering if I could change it to make it more suitable? Are you expecting more of an impressionist style?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I like art; really I do! I like the new tile's background design and colors, but the art seems a little too "busy" and overpowering when compared to the clean, simpler look of the other tiles. Maybe a simpler clip art or line drawing style? Or no art on them at all.

I'm good with whatever you decide, that's just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
No, I like art; really I do! I like the new tile's background design and colors, but the art seems a little too "busy" and overpowering when compared to the clean, simpler look of the other tiles. Maybe a simpler clip art or line drawing style? Or no art on them at all.

The reason I ask is that I've been getting strong pressure for a very "impressionist" feel, and, although I've tried, the impressionist effect doesn't come through at that small size. In other words, I am not 100% happy with the effect. I'll keep picking at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reeve wrote:
lucky henry wrote:

The reason I ask is that I've been getting strong pressure for a very "impressionist" feel, and, although I've tried, the impressionist effect doesn't come through at that small size. In other words, I am not 100% happy with the effect. I'll keep picking at it.

Agree...I don't see how impressionism can work at that size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just did a Google image search for "Victorian clip art" and there are a ton of interesting possibilities, if you think that may interest you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:

I just did a Google image search for "Victorian clip art" and there are a ton of interesting possibilities, if you think that may interest you.

To be copyright cautious, I've purchased a massive amount of art, which is the source of the images currently on the tiles. Are you suggesting illustrations over doctored photos? I have access to such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reeve wrote:
lucky henry wrote:

To be copyright cautious, I've purchased a massive amount of art, which is the source of the images currently on the tiles. Are you suggesting illustrations over doctored photos? I have access to such.

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Well, I've tried a few illustration combos and I'm not having success. Tough to match up current illustrations with a period 177 years ago.

I am going to keep the book open on the Monuments, but I need to get some other artwork up on the KS page, so I will circle back to these after a couple days to marinate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not worth stressing over it. Just go with no art at all, or this version:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.