Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Anyone want to make a prediction?

He starts a war with North Korea, vast numbers of South Koreans die, America gets embroiled in another useless war. His tax plan passes and the rich are rewarded handsomely. But the poor don't wake up to that fact until 2021, after he gets re-elected. David Duke is his VP in 2020. The stock market tanks, when he is re-elected. Obamacare is repealed, with no substantive substitute. Our allies become our enemies. Smog keeps people indoors for 12 hours a day. And Mexico and Canada no longer trade with us, mostly because the wall on the Mexican border is fully complete.

Depressing isn't it?! shake

Edit - I don't think it will actually get this bad, but you get the drift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Trump will be allowed to actually kill anyone or start a nuclear war-- anything like that. I do think he's unstable enough to want to do so. Racism will be given free reign which inevitably will kill people but I don't think he'll be able to have death camps or anything. Still the fact is I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

The supreme court will tilt pro-corporate/pro-wealthy/pro-guns/anti-abortion/anti-voters rights.

About 9% of our district court judges and courts of appeals judges will be replaced by pro-corporate/pro-wealthy/pro-guns/anti-abortion/anti-voters rights judges.

Europe will develop its own military weakening nato and setting the stage for the next world war.

If we get into a war with North Korea, we are likely to suffer at least one nuclear attack on the continental u.s. It might be a missile, it might be in a shipping container on a cargo ship. In this scenario, the stock market tanks.

More likely, North Korea repeatedly embarrasses the U.S. and develops a strong nuclear deterrent capability which makes it immune to invasion by land or sea. From there, nuclear weapons begin to proliferate around the globe into the hands of less stable personalities.

Thousands of really brilliant young people do not come to the u.s. for education and go elsewhere instead.

Benefits cuts lead to u.s. mortality dropping 2-3 years to maybe 75 (78 for females).

Media sources are bought up by right wing extremists. The difference between objective facts becomes increasingly muddled in an orwellian fashion. Time Magazine becomes a conservative rag if it doesn't die outright.

Global warming is not forestalled at all for 3 years.

Coal mining becomes increasingly automated. Coal minors blame liberals for job losses.

Abortion becomes effectively illegal and on capture of the supreme court actually illegal.

The countries wealth and property continues to concentrate under a smaller percentage of the population. The wealthy become more and more willing and able to quickly take that wealth elsewhere (like monico).

Voter disenfranchisement increases rather than decreases. Gerrymandering increases rather than decreases. We stop getting anti-gerrymandering rulings from the supreme court and start getting thinly disguised pro-gerrymandering rulings from the supreme court.

Any natural disasters over the next three years will be handled very badly but reported as "best ever handling of a natural disaster" by right wing media sources.

http://status.pr/

Quote:
8% of puerto ricans still lack fresh water.
39% of puerto ricans still lack electricity.

And ridiculously undercounted death totals.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/us/puerto-rico-uncounted-death...

A complete loss of outrage/total fatigue to be outraged by racist, nationalistic statements.

Dogs and cats having sex in the streets- mass hysteria.

Imagine the u.s. about 5-10% worse for 80% of americans with a minimum of 5% worse for the next 30 years even if we resolved the problem in 2018 and 2020-- which I don't even think is possible. Republicans will block everything they can until they are destroyed as a party. Their destruction as a party is highly unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Obviously a nuclear war is the end. Trump may be the only one that actually wants to fire off nukes, so hopefully the generals reign him in (in a reversal from every war movie ever made...)

That aside...

Optimistically, I don't think Trump and the GOP worms in Congress are going to make things all that bad in the near term. There's only so much damage they can do, even the idiots that voted for them and want them to win at all costs start to smell a truly bad deal when they see it (health care, immigration, the idiotic wall, tariffs, tax reform). Most of them would have said "ok" to anything just to get their team in power, but a chunk of them are now saying "what the crap are you doing?" Which pisses me off, since the creeps they elected are doing EXACTLY what they said they were going to do.

Just on a personal level, I doubt my own life is going to change for the worse, and if it does, it won't match my anger and despair concerning what I see happening. That doesn't stop me from opposing Trump and his ilk. I will say that I no longer get into political face-to-face discussions with right-wingers. There's no point other than to get both of us angry. I have seen more than enough of their crappy positions for decades, and seen enough evidence that they have no intention whatsoever of seeing things from another point of view. Empathy is for liberal scum.

More to that point--as long as people willingly embrace alternate realities, providing the actual ones don't fit their wishes--there won't be any "coming together." This is exactly what George Orwell wrote about. We are living 1984 today, not in every aspect, but certainly in the fake news and derision of any fact that you don't like. If this continues, we are screwed.

Long-term, being able to appoint judges and fighting tooth-and-nail to stop efforts on climate change may bite us hard. Damage is being done to future diplomatic efforts and our standing in general with the rest of the world. Not that GOP supporters give a crap about that, caring about "globalists" is right out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My long time cultural companion said this the other evening, "These days one cannot be an informed citizen without some means of managing one's rage." She is a liberal, a psychotherapist and she really talks like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think much if anything will change for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Its going to roar away next year.

Game-buying addiction can be cured by a pay rise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
If we get into a war with North Korea, we are likely to suffer at least one nuclear attack on the continental u.s. It might be a missile, it might be in a shipping container on a cargo ship. In this scenario, the stock market tanks.

More likely, North Korea repeatedly embarrasses the U.S. and develops a strong nuclear deterrent capability which makes it immune to invasion by land or sea. From there, nuclear weapons begin to proliferate around the globe into the hands of less stable personalities.

My real concern on North Korea is that it's a desperately poor nation, and are operating under heavy sanctions. Upon achieving actual intercontinental nuclear delivery capability (which isn't an "if"...it's only rocket science, not brain surgery...it's a "when"), I would not be surprised to see them arguing that we have effectively already started an economic war with them and that they are thus justified in using their nuclear weapons 'in response'...until the sanctions get dropped, anyway. And once they start realizing they can blackmail the world with threats of nuking things until the Danegeld is delivered to them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
" Coal minors blame liberals for job losses."

jeebus merkin land really does get bad if you have kids working in coal mines !

edit but as I hate rugrats good on you! he has got my vote in 2020 all 500 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
col_w wrote:

He starts a war with North Korea, vast numbers of South Koreans die, America gets embroiled in another useless war. His tax plan passes and the rich are rewarded handsomely. But the poor don't wake up to that fact until 2021, after he gets re-elected. David Duke is his VP in 2020. The stock market tanks, when he is re-elected. Obamacare is repealed, with no substantive substitute. Our allies become our enemies. Smog keeps people indoors for 12 hours a day. And Mexico and Canada no longer trade with us, mostly because the wall on the Mexican border is fully complete.

We can't afford a new war on top of the other one we can't pay for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
A year ago, various and sundry were predicting that millions would be deported, the economy would tank due to protectionism, and that eastern Europe would be handed over to the Russians. A few went so far as to predict concentration camps and a fascist take-over. None of this has happened, and none of it is likely to happen, yet the predictions remain remarkably similar - except that the foreign policy goalposts have been moved to the Asian end of the field.

Trump's administration has already failed and is going nowhere. For all his bluster, he hasn't even scored the easy points on Obamacare and tax cuts. Trump himself will most likely be caught up in the Russia investigation, although it's taking longer than I thought it would.

Stop worrying. We're likely closer to the end than the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

If you're straight, white, male, middle class, employed, not in debt, middle aged, in good health, and don't care about anyone who isn't similarly situated, you're probably right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
SPIGuy wrote:
Stop worrying. We're likely closer to the end than the beginning.

Outright bigotry and racism is back in mainstream political discourse. We are far, far away from the end of this little gift that trump and the gop has given us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
Dearlove wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

If you're straight, white, male, middle class, employed, not in debt, middle aged, in good health, and don't care about anyone who isn't similarly situated, you're probably right.

I love it when those guys tell me to just ignore the racism, how its no big deal, boys just being boys etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretender to the Throne of Alsace-Lorraine
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Altair IV wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
col_w wrote:

We can't afford a new war on top of the other one we can't pay for now.

Never fear! "Emergency" spending resolutions that don't technically enlarge the deficit are here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Yeah, that’s because pretty much me minus the middle-aged part. I’m not 30 yet and while not debt free, it’s very manageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankiedamn wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I love it when those guys tell me to just ignore the racism, how its no big deal, boys just being boys etc.

Who said that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
A year ago, various and sundry were predicting that millions would be deported, the economy would tank due to protectionism, and that eastern Europe would be handed over to the Russians. A few went so far as to predict concentration camps and a fascist take-over.

1. "various and sundry" is a nice way of saying "a few alarmists who weren't generally considered credible before this" and making it sound as if it was a widely held set of opinions; tell us about "global cooling" next, I'm sure that was a real thing too!

2. that having been said, ICE has ramped up deportations to a ridiculous and extremely abusive extent, and they are putting deportees in detention centres - so many that they need more of them

3. and Trump HAS collapsed several trade agreements, and is belligerently demanding the renegotiation of numerous others with countries that are supposed to be America's, like, allies and alienating the fuck out of them

4. and he's been quite clear that he wants to get out of NATO and so far really it's only institutional inertia that's slowed that down

5. so maybe the various and sundry had kind of a point, because everything you're accusing them of hyperbolically predicting hasn't happened, but incrementally it certainly is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Yeah, that’s because pretty much me minus the middle-aged part. I’m not 30 yet and while not debt free, it’s very manageable.

I'm not American of course, but that doesn't entirely free one from being affected by Trump. I fit all of that description bar one thing. There are people I care about who don't.

(And, yes, middle aged is a bit narrow. But too young or too old puts you in the danger zone.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:

I thought child labour was illegal in the US?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretender to the Throne of Alsace-Lorraine
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AdrianPHague wrote:
growlley wrote:

I thought child labour was illegal in the US?

Give it time, Trump still has at least three more years to gut America's stifling regulatory apparatus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

surprise

Just to be clear; are you actually saying you don't care about non-straights, non-whites, the poor...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

surprise

Just to be clear; are you actually saying you don't care about non-straights, non-whites, the poor...?

No, my statement was that I don’t think much if anything will change for me. I didn’t say anything about other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.