6 Posts

Transatlantic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Redeploying Scotia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say, "If a region cannot contain more ships, the oldest ship is pushed out and has to be redeployed immediately if that is possible (applying the deployment rules from above, the ship’s owner decides)."

What if that oldest ship is the Scotia?

It has no owner to decide how it should be redeployed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/27379906#27379906

BTW, you thumbed my consolidated rules thread, which included this info, silly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the theory that no-one/everyone owns the Scotia and clearly someone must decide where to place it, I recommend (using common sense) that the Active Player should decide where to place it. It will happen there will actually be a choice to make, but not often.

Players could also vote on it - but that seems like a waste of time due to all of the politics that would then ensue.

Keep it simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/27379906#27379906

BTW, you thumbed my consolidated rules thread, which included this info, silly!

Oh, well.
blush

I guess I read only the first part of your point 7.

Before making this post, I searched for Scotia in the rules forums.

I saw yours, but I thought that I had read that.

I saw the one you cited, but it was headed "Scotia and region card" and, although I had read it once, assumed it was not relevant.

Shame (not much) on LemonyFresh for hijacking that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael parsons
msg tools
mb
The point is Moot. A ship can only be redeployed if it is newer than at least one ship in the region AND there is an open space. It can never be deployed on the bottom of a market. Since the Scotia is the oldest ship (older than even the clippers) it just goes right to the breakers yard. No decision needs to be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Lamprecht, who helped develop the game, has confirmed that a ship that is pushed out of a region may be redeployed to the bottom of another region, if it would be the oldest in that other region - despite the fact that the rules say "between."

This issue was discussed at length in this thread: Can Old Ships be placed at the BOTTOM of a region

Frank's answer was in this post, which I quote here:
Frank Lamprecht wrote:
LemonyFresh wrote:
Can an old ship be deployed at the bottom of a region, if there is an empty space?

Yes (This can only happen to the sailing ships or the Scotia).

As long as there is a free space in at least one region no ship is wrecked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.