Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
mb
Hi,
I’m itching to buy this game but I’m concerned about how repayable it is. Some posts I’ve seen say the first game is the best after that much less fun.
Cam some one give me an idea of what to expect as to the longevity of the game and perhaps explain what player generated scenarios are?
Many thanks,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB0rnW5_Aq0SjMT4PKQOYg
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartan07 wrote:
Hi,
I’m itching to buy this game but I’m concerned about how repayable it is. Some posts I’ve seen say the first game is the best after that much less fun.
Cam some one give me an idea of what to expect as to the longevity of the game and perhaps explain what player generated scenarios are?
Many thanks,
Mike

Mike
I think the posts you are referring to are more likely saying that the first time you play a particular scenario is the best and after that it can be less fun as you know what is coming. However the same scenario can to an extent play out differently when using other investigators. In addition that that there are new scenarios (some campaign based and some standalone) that are being released all the time, and don't forget the plethora of fan created content that you can find in the file section here or Arkham Central. So you have a choice you can either purchase the official stuff or download fan stuff for free or both.

So in a nutshell what I am saying is that with the amount of content available I don't think there is a concern for replayability ,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most scenarios have randomised elements, and a number of player decisions or variable outcomes which can affect future games in the same campaign. That is all good, although if you're only in it for the story, probably not sufficient. However, combined with the differences in game play between characters (and deck builds, and difficulties...), I think it's got a lot of replayability. That's not even mentioning the fan scenarios, which I haven't got into too deeply, but there seem a lot of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
As this is my most played game ever, I don’t think it suffers from replayability isssues. If you are playing just for an exciting story and that’s it, this will game’s probably not for you (unless you have a friend willing to Front the costs, and you just tag along for the ride). if you are playing it for an interesting campaign game, where you like to explore various avenues with different characters, then the game may be for you. I really like the surprise of the first play through, but the game is quite interesting in its own right to make me keep coming back for more. My friends and I are gearing up for another play through of the Dunwich campaign, and i’m quite excited about it, even though i’ve done it numerous times already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About player made scenarios

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/219942/arkham-horror-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone that’s a great help. It’s on my Santa list....
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fachreza Dewanto
Indonesia
Kota Tangerang
Banten
flag msg tools
mb
i've been playing it for 9-10 times on solo. only using core game, using different character and experiment deck building beyond character deck rule , experimenting with encounter and modifying skill test token. and still enjoying this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy subsequent plays of a scenario better than the first play.
Since you know what's coming you can prepare, and deckbuilding and optimizing your play become possible when the first time always end in you getting destroyed and being 1 action short of reaching a good conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True. First play is the most fun, but Also the most punishing!
Real Arkham stuff laugh

The next runs have less surprices but Also a Little bit smoother Ride.
Not too easy thought... goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my opinion most of the scenarios are very replayable. The major factor is that there is much more game here than in Time Stories or Mansions of Madness.

There is also quite a lot o variety in term of scenario style. Some are more scripted, let's say MoM style. Some are more sandboxy in a similar way to Arkahm or Eldritch Horror. Finally, some scenarios work in completely different way, creating an unique experience by itself. Most include variable setup and multiple outcomes dependant on investigators performance and choices. On top of that there are core game mechanics with provide for variable experience.

To sum up, the campaings/scenarios have an underlying storyline, but it doesn't overshadow core gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not an objective answer.

If you're a very mechanical player, choosing your character and building your deck expressly to get the optimal outcome, you might find replayability low.

If you're interested in story but only as far as the major plot points, less concerned with what happens in between and how the characters get to those, you might find replayability low.

Neither of those is wrong or bad ("mechanical" might sound negative, but I mean it in the sense of focusing on mechanics rather than theme). They're valid approaches that might make someone not like the game.

I find it incredibly replayable. I know Night of the Zealot and The Dunwich Legacy backward and forward now, but I still play it with different characters and new cards, not bothering to work out the greatest combos or make sure my card types are balanced (I do spend time on my decks, but I'd have just as much fun playing with a random one), to see how it plays out. And every new pack makes it even more replayable as the deck possibilities multiply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I view the replay value of this game withing the same scenario is that the first time through will reveal most of the surprises, probably not all of them though. If you replay that scenario again though regardless if you use a different investigator(s) is like replaying any other board game. You know what the game is now about, playing it again allows you to get better.

Take Pandemic for instance the first time through you have no idea how it's going to play out. But once you do understand how the game unrolls you play smarter and do things differently because you know what an epidemic can do and how the roles work together.

Arkham Horror is the same. You now know what baddies can turn up and what the big bad will do so playing through it again you can make better choices on how you approach him. The surprises may not be the same but the choices are now even more impactful as you aren't going in blind.

So with all of that being said I find the replay value of the core set to be just as good as any other game. If you go down the rabbit whole and expand this game with more scenarios, more investigators and the ability to customize your deck the overall replay value for this game is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the game mechanics and are excited to explore the card pool it's very replayable. Different investigators, deck builds, quest outcomes, and other random elements make no two plays of the same scenario exactly the same. Yeah you are playing through the same story again, but the way things play out can be very different and the difficulty is adjustable if you want to challenge yourself.

That said if you are not enthusiastic about building decks and trying different investigators out and are only in it to experience a completely new story then perhaps subsequent playthroughs may be less fun for you. I know there are plenty of people who feel this way because you see them posting about it here all the time. For me I played through the core set campaign probably 5 times and I've tried that first scenario maybe a dozen times now because it's a nice test drive for a new deck build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To echo what others have said

1: Different character builds and different randomization (you can have very different experiences if the encounter deck comes out in a different order or some cards land on investigators more or less equipped to deal with them) give different experiences.

2: There's a lot of official content out there. There's the original, base campaign. Dunwich. And now Carcosa. Plus the couple side scenarios. If you're playing with friends, that's a whole lot of game sessions to get through. More than Pandemic: Legacy at this point.

3: There's a lot of unofficial, fan content out there. Which is free and plentiful. So you can always go to your printer and have a few hours of completely new and fresh gameplay. With a lot of them having their own encounter cards and enemies and sometimes mechanics, giving you a truly different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something intriguing that designer Matt Newman said about The Path to Carcosa and replayability on Drawn to the Flame, episode 22:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Matt Newman wrote:
[The Path To Carcosa] in particular I think makes good use of a mechanic that makes it fun to replay through the entire campaign multiple times...at least three paths, actually. [REDACTED] is one of the mechanics that helps to add some replay value to the campaign, where one group is playing through and they're doing this path, one group is playing through and they're doing a different path, and hopefully the end result is that those two campaigns feel quite different from one another narratively...Especially when you're working with source material like The King in Yellow, nothing really should be obvious the first time you play through, or maybe the second or third time you play through. So, my hope is that by the end of it, people are posting their theories online and discussing it amongst themselves like any good mystery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be completely subjective depending on who you talk to. If you're playing the game for the story only, then you likely won't find the game that replayable.

If you love the mechanics of the game itself, this ends up being one of the most replayable games out there. Currently there's 21 scenarios that can be played as one-offs, with 18 readily available and 1 difficult to obtain character, not to mention how much custom stuff is available online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.