HeroQuest» Forums » Plays/Fiction

Subject: ZX Spectrum Play session 1: The Maze rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
As part of the "Community Goal 2017: Let's play games on as many platforms as we can!", I decided to get at least 5 hours played of this game, on an emulated ZX Spectrum, which you can find here:

http://torinak.com/qaop/games

I started with the first quest: The Maze.
It plays almost exactly as the boardgame. You have your 4 standard heroes with European stats. The monsters also have the UK stats. (The US version of the HeroQuest boardgame had different stats for some monsters to make it more balanced).
Movement is randomized, you press the spacebar and a random number gets rolled for your character. You can't use the mouse unfortunately, but you have to move an arrow with ZX-OK, and select with SPACE. Took me a minute to figure that out, but it works, although it's slow.

It's SIGMAR himself!!

On your turn, you can move by clicking on the tile you want to move to (only straight lines, so you have to direct your character around corners and turns), and perform 1 action, like in the boardgame. You can't move a little - action - move the remainder. Also like the game. So either move then do your action, or the other way around.

The actions you can do are:
- Search for traps and secret doors
- Search for treasure
- Fight a monster
- Use a spell (Elf / Wizard)
- Use an item from your inventory, such as a healing potion or the other potions you can find.

You need to be within line of sight for a spell to work, so be sure to check the map before you cast anything. The part of the map you see on the screen usually links to another corridor or room, so the map will show you what's at the boundaries of the current view. This is important, as I once opened a door, and wanted to move in, but couldn't. The map revealed a monster standing right behind it.

Icons on the interface let you do actions:
- Bag = inventory, for items and spells
- Arrows = movement, but you can also click on the screen
- Sword/shield = combat (when clicked, the map appears and you can click on a monster)
- Map = map
- Eye = search
- Barbarian's head with an arrow = end turn

I successfully finished The Maze, having found the exit room with only a few wounds. Pretty straight forward.

Map of the Maze, spoilers!
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I then continued with the second Quest, and it turned out, your stats remain unchanged, so wounds taken in the previous quest are carried along, as well as treasures found and gold.
You have the opportunity to buy gear between quests though. But if a hero dies, he's gone for the remainder of the game.

But whenever you quit, you can start anew with all 4 heroes, and select any quest. You'll have to get new gear again though... Alas, no saving option in this emulated version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.