Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can maximum LOS be on the same card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Laing
Scotland
flag msg tools
Hi again all :-)

I have seen a few posts regarding my latest question, but haven't really seen any definite ruling. Then again their are a lot of posts regarding this games rules so it may be out there :-)

X A A

Z B

A = cards with enemy units (both of which have blocking terrain)
B = card with my newly moved unit
X = a potential off map card placement
Z = N/A

My unit has just moved onto card "B" which has a PC marker.
If the placement for the PC marker is "Front at max LOS" or "Right Front at max LOS", should I -

1. Reroll until I either get "Left Front at max LOS" so I can use "X" or "Per Package Table Placement" (if the package placement has the "on same card" option)?

2. Place the package on card "B" with the assumption that "On same card" is the maximum LOS the package can legally be placed?

3. Reroll another package that has the "On same card" package table placement?

4. Something else? :-)

I love this game but my oh my its hard work at times :-)

Cheers

Grant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bouette
England
Selby
flag msg tools
The only place that you could place a max LOS is in X. So unless the unit has a per package placement of same card, it will go in X. If it could go on the same card keep drawing until you get either per package placement of left front at max LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGUSTI BARRIO RUIZ
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
As Nick said, the only valid placement is X. But if you're playing Vietnam it could also be Z (side cards and even rear cards). Draw cards until you find the valid one or you can select all the valid packages, assign them a random number and draw a card to go faster, etc, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Laing
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ok guys Im sure I had read where in a case like this that the same card could be considered max LOS, but it seems you both dont consider this correct. Guess Im thinking of it as the max LOS that the unit could be placed and fire at me would be on the same card at point blank range :-)
I do appreciate your responses and want to make sure Im getting this right. Can you confirm this is the correct ruling? :-)

.....and if the "X" card was also an "A" then there would be no legal max LOS placement? And then you would either have to select the "Per Package Table Placement" option, if the package could result in "On same card" or reroll the package until you got one that had the "On same card" option?

Cheers

Grant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGUSTI BARRIO RUIZ
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unless the enemy package being a bunker, minefield, etc then no, you cannot place the enemy in the same card. See 9.2.2 from rules, first paragrah.

All Mines and Incoming markers are placed on the card where the contact occurred; for all others a location must be determined. An enemy package may appear on a card containing US units if called for by the Package Tables.

If the enemy package is not minefield, bunker in the same card, etc, and X card is also an A, then you find yourself without any legal location to place the enemy package. In this case follow the rules 9.2.4:

If the placement location drawn does not legally allow the enemy unit to target the triggering US unit, redraw for a different placement. Continue drawing until the above requirement is met. If that package cannot legally be placed to comply with this, redraw for a different package. If NO available package could legally comply, then discard the contact entirely.

So, in the case X is also an A, you must redraw another valid enemy package (mines, bunker in the same card, incoming!, etc).

In Vietnam is more easy to place enemies in the same card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Laing
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ok mate thanks again for your reply.

I can see why there was some other posts discussing the possibility that "Max LOS" could indeed end up being on the same card, but after your comments and rereading the relevant rules it seems that the way you've explained it does seem to be the way it was meant to be interpreted :-)

Its also easier to just think of it that way, and Im just letting myself get bogged down by some of these rules I reckon.....so back to the game! :-)

Cheers

Grant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.