Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concept: players represent families formed by inter-clan marriage. Each family gets about half of the clan ability from each parent.

Example: Campbells and Cunninghams, congratulations on the union between your clans! CC Family: you get a £2 discount when you build a factory; you may discard Milk tokens for £4 each.

Remarks:
How many possible families are there? 81. That’s the square of 9, the number of clans in the box (including MacEwans). So this would add 72 families from inter-clan marriage to the original 9 clans.

Does that depend on the assumption that each set of clan abilities can be halved? Sort of. By which I mean: yes, but there are possible variants of this variant that do not depend on that assumption.

This variant would probably work better with the Clan Auction mechanism described in the Rules than without.

Juma, I hope that you’ll see this more as a reflection of interest in your game, rather than as lack of respect for your work on designing multiple balanced clans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Broch
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mb
I really like this idea, that each clan has some inheritable trait, not sure how that would work for the one which allows you to place workers as fishermen.

Also, the number of possible combinations is 36, 9!/(2!*7!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not play Helvetia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
Why not play Helvetia?

Because I was born in Scotland, not Switzerland!

Actually, I'd really like to play Helvetica. But not instead of playing Clans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brochd wrote:
I really like this idea, that each clan has some inheritable trait, not sure how that would work for the one which allows you to place workers as fishermen.

Also, the number of possible combinations is 36, 9!/(2!*7!).

You caught me twice!

I deliberately chose clans with "half-able" abilities, because:
(1) I'm lazy;
(2) if enough people like the concept, some of them will contribute to its implementation, and come up with better part-abilities than I would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps instead of trying to halve abilities, you play with two clan tokens and get two abilities - that should make for some interesting synergies.

To do this, I would set up the initial clan draft as usual, with players+1 clans with starting goods tiles to select from. Then once all players have selected a starting clan and tile, discard the starting goods tile from the remaining clan and reveal enough other clans so that there are again players+1 clans available to select. The players then select a second clan to marry into, in reverse player order, so the player who got last pick of initial clans now gets first pick of the second clans.

This way you don't have to adjust the actual abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
Perhaps instead of trying to halve abilities, you play with two clan tokens and get two abilities - that should make for some interesting synergies.

This way you don't have to adjust the actual abilities.

I can see the advantage of this way of representing families.

I think it would tip the balance between the rules of the game and the rule-breaking abilities of the clans. I would like to preserve this balance, or at least not tip it drastically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.