el a
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone, what would happen if all my survivors could not hunt/fight but are not dead?

Let's take for example 7 survivors of a settlement in a theoric condition as below:

2 with fear of the dark (without possibility to remove it at that lantern year)
3 with "skip next hunt" status
2 retired

a) Shall I skip both next Hunt and Showdown and go to the Next Lantern Year?
a2) Shall I suffer starvation (for justification of skipped hunt) to match the concept of hunting quarries?
b) Would I simply lose?
c) Dunno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starvation is the most thematically correct.

Although, if you've innovated cannibalism...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
It wouldn't trigger the game over event, because you still have population... I assume you just auto-fail the hunt & showdown due to having no eligible survivors? I wonder what happens if/when you have exclusively retired survivors for any reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such an interesting question to me. I guess if you somehow end up with all retired survivors you do intimacy. But what if ... hmmm.

What if you had all retired survivors, no cooking or bonus endeavors from population, and nobody could hunt so no returning survivors? I suppose everyone sits at the retirement home until the Watcher shows up and then you lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
This is such an interesting question to me. I guess if you somehow end up with all retired survivors you do intimacy. But what if ... hmmm.

What if you had all retired survivors, no cooking or bonus endeavors from population, and nobody could hunt so no returning survivors? I suppose everyone sits at the retirement home until the Watcher shows up and then you lose?

Obviously, you wait for the Kingdom Death: Shady Acres Retirement Home expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el a
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
[q="boardgamesdotEXE"]
Obviously, you wait for the Kingdom Death: Shady Acres Retirement Home expansion.

Hahahhahah

boardgamesdotEXE wrote:

I appreciate my question raised interest. I think this is still unanswered officially, we should ask to Poots what happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to continue: I would do a Nemesis fight so there is no Hunt event and then lose the fight and take those consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn’t solve it. Retired survivors and “skip next hunt” means you cannot depart. You still depart for a Nemesis Encounter. Plus Nemesis won’t really give you much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting scenario, but I think a player is unlikely to encounter it and then even more unlikely to wish to continue the campaign.

Suffering starvation seems like the only reasonable way to resolve it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el a
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was thinking...even if settlement suffer starvation, it does not solve the state: you lose resources but don't gain endeavors to try Augury (moreover in that theoretic scenario you should not have any resource already left in settlement so you can't Harvest in search of Love juices). The only consecution of that which seems logic is that time Lantern years goes on, with nothing happening, only ending when random settlement events give settlement endeavors, or kill everyone.

p.s: it is a scenario in which a campaign would fail to continue due to players' low morale, but if you play variants such as 7 swordsman, it is not so rare that a situation as the one described up here could be realized.
p.p.s: I know that question is somewhat ethereal but I feel there is a hole in the rules we can ask Poots to be closed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the answer is that you lose. Whether immediately or not I’m not sure, but a settlement in this state is probably not going to make it to the end. In reality, the players should probably decide to just kill the settlement regardless. But this has still been a fun thought experiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el a
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably it is as you say.
But I don't know, if any Settlement Event could give Endeavors tokens, there would still be hope to Augury into twins and survive in the darkest of situations... hope never dies...

p.s: is there any settlement event which gives endeavors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the least there are a couple that give you population.

I think it also depends on which of the situations being discussed you’re in. If all your survivors are retired things are a lot worse than if they all hypothetically had “skip next hunt”. Missing one hunt entirely would be bad but not damning. Having to go a few years waiting for new population would be guaranteed end game death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el a
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you don't certainly lose ! there's still hope...

Yeah the scenario when all survivors are retired is grim and probably going to end bad.

The question was about the impossibility to follow the cycle of Settlement-Hunt-Showdown-Settlement; if the answer to this is that you simply skip those phases, the situation resolves by itself..

Maybe not: technically if you skip next Hunt, but Hunt doesn't happen due to no survivors available to hunt, you can never be free of that state...because "next hunt" never happens

Obviousely houserule can ignore that malicious loop and remove "skip next hunt" state after a cycle (even if Hunt and Showdown never happened); I'm interested anyway in what core game is supposed to manage a situation as "no survivor available to depart, but still people in the settlement: what happens to the subsequent Hunt and Showdown"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.