Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Blood Rage and Scythe?

My understanding is that is an area control game, both of those games are about area controll too, but they are different enought that i can play both regularly.

What about Cry Havoc? someone is offering me a trade for Terraforming Mars (wich i did not like at all).

What are your thoughts on this guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with sharing my touhgs, yet. I'm still fairly new here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
KarpetRydOFunk wrote:
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with sharing my touhgs, yet. I'm still fairly new here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics are different, and the theme is very different. If you are getting it in trade for a game you do not like, then I would say get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micah cantrell

Longmont
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cry Havoc is a nice asymmetrical area control/deck building game. Much more combat centric than Scythe. I have not played Blood Rage yet so cannot speak to that. But I would say if you like both of those games, you will probably like CH.

It has a nice combat system that doesn't use dice. It uses a objectives board with three objectives in battle: Area Control, Kill Enemy, and Take Prisoners. You place units in each of the goals and whomever wins that goal with majority wins that goal, save kill enemies, which grants one death per unit on goal. You can modify the outcome to some degree by playing cards that are gained during play (this is the deck building part).

Victory goes to the one with the most points collected by having control of areas with crystals, that are scored during game play if you activate the correct card at the correct time and through some player mechanics.

It is a very well designed game in my opinion. Well worth trading a game you do not find enjoyable to try out. If you don't like it you can always trade it to someone for something else you haven't tried yet.

edit: Grammer, spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Naaden
United States
Denison
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Ignis aurum probat, miseria fortes viros
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
I've only played all the game you mentioned once, except Scythe, which I've played twice :-/

That being said, I'd make the trade. Terraforming Mars really hits my gear box and so I like it more than Cry Havoc. But if you don't like TM, just trade it away!

Cry Havoc definitely has a different feel from either Blood Rage and Scythe, so you'd get something fresh and new.

And, in fact, although Cry Havoc has an area control element, don't play it like a normal area control game unless you're the Terran player. Read up on the strat forums and then use the races special abilities to further your score. Otherwise, the Terrans will wipe the board with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.