7 Posts

Santorini» Forums » Rules

Subject: Persephone vs Triton edge case rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Fan
msg tools
mb
Hey all, my friends and I were playing a four player game of Santorini last night and came across the an edge case that we ended up debating for a while.

Context: The four of us were playing a 2v2, and the gods in play, clockwise from me (I took the photo), were Triton, Persephone, Ares, and Zeus (me).

We had roughly the board arrangement shown, with the blue team having Triton and Zeus together. That meant that my team had Persephone and Zeus together.

The Player using Triton wanted to move the worker on the bottom of the picture around the border.

The question we had in the following situation is how Triton and Persephone interact. Since Triton is allowed to take an additional move every time he steps into the perimeter, he could have made his way to the 2nd floor on his turn.

The question is, is he obligated to move all the way up there each time his turn comes around?

Persephone's rules; Opponent's Turn: if possible, at least one worker must move up this turn.

When the phrase "move up" is used, does it just mean at any point the worker must move up once? Or does it mean move up once from the starting position? In the case of the first question, starting from the 1st floor, moving down to ground level, and then moving up to the first floor would fulfill that condition.

If Triton moves along the edge of the board and stops adjacent to a raised floor, are they obligated to move up to the next floor?

This whole line of questioning stumped us for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to move up once during your turn, if doing so is somehow possible. This may mean that you need to move down first and move back onto the space where you started. Thus the bottom blue Worker can end up in any vacant space on the board and the one in the middle can't move. The restrictions will get more onerous later in the game.

(Exception: you don't have to use a heroic power to move up, but you can't use a heroic power if it prevents you from moving up and if you choose to use a heroic power you may need to use it to aid in moving up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fan
msg tools
mb
Thanks! That does simplify a bunch of other questions and in retrospect, does prevent Persephone from being completely overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this matchup, can the Triton player choose to move up THEN BACK DOWN AGAIN during his "chain" of moves, and still count as satisfying Persephone's power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
In this matchup, can the Triton player choose to move up THEN BACK DOWN AGAIN during his "chain" of moves, and still count as satisfying Persephone's power?

I think so. However, I have been searching for a an example thread without any luck. Would like to hear Michael chime in with his thoughts here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can move back down after moving up. Triton can do pretty much what he wants in the early game but is more limited when it really matters.

Persephone as first player against Triton seems very balanced. I assume that Persephone wants to control the center space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Yes, you can move back down after moving up. Triton can do pretty much what he wants in the early game but is more limited when it really matters.

I've discovered quite a few match ups where one side seems terribly strong at the start, but the balance of power shifts as the game progresses. What I've yet to find is a combination that does not work at all (although things can be a bit weird - if not to say downright unbalanced - when there are teams of two at work).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.