Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note, all of the below is asking how you as individuals play the game and your thoughts regarding thematic play. This is not a question about the rules as prescribed. List of events hidden in spoiler tags. Edited per recommendations below. : )

Upon normal death of a survivor, irreplaceable gear is lost. However, there are several circumstances in which this seems thematically inappropriate. For instance,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
during a specific hunt event, one or more survivors may be swallowed whole by a giant monster. Unless the remaining survivors follow the beast around and sift through a literal ton of...well, you know...there's no way you're getting that harp back. There are also a couple settlement events in which survivors are either swallowed whole or plunge into an abyss. In both scenarios, one would expect all gear to be lost.

There's one instance of which I remember that does cover this scenario.

During the Butcher fight, one survivor may lead him away from the settlement, losing all their gear in the process. The rules explicitly cover this case.

Lastly,

how about the Bone Witch? When one survivor, say in the case of the Hands of Heat event, leaves the settlement, do they take all their gear.
I would argue no, because in this case that survivor is not necessarily a returning survivor and therefore does not necessarily have gear. Thus I can assume that if it is a returning survivor, they took off their gear before playing with fire.

Sorry for all the spoiler tags above. The point is, I would argue that if you are looking to play thematically and add some difficulty to the game, whenever a survivor has a gear grid (during hunt, during showdown, and anything affecting returning survivors based on their equipment), if there is not a body to recover then all gear should be lost.

Thoughts? How do you play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unique gear isn’t lost. Irreplaceable gear is.
Regarding the question, I play rules as written. The game has enough awful situations as is and I’m not about to lose my full iron sets to a bad event roll for theme unless I am absolutely forced to.

Edit: however, I think one of the great things about KD:M is how open the system is to house rules like this. People are able to do basically anything within the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much, comrade.bat. : ) Updated above.

This definitely does come back to the roleplaying nature. You're free to **** yourself however you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Weber
msg tools
Survivors don't have gear unless they are departing or have cursed gear. As such there isn't really any gear to lose during the settlement phase. As for hunt events sure it makes sense but personally I'm not going to archive gear unless specifically asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Koutsoumpas
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WorkPlace66 wrote:
Survivors don't have gear unless they are departing or have cursed gear. As such there isn't really any gear to lose during the settlement phase. As for hunt events sure it makes sense but personally I'm not going to archive gear unless specifically asked.

I am new to the game so I may have this wrong, but the rules say that Gear is removed from the returning survivors in step 8 of the Settlement phase, when you also choose departing survivors for the new Hunt. Doesn't this mean that returning survivors are fully geared for most of the Settlement phase which includes the Settlement Event step?

Additionally, any remaining resources are removed from the returning survivors in step 9, so if something happens and a returning survivor leaves the settlement before that, the settlement should lose access to the resources that survivor is carrying. Isn't that correct?

At the moment, I am playing solo to familiarize myself with the rules and it feels weird to keep the resources on the survivors instead of turning them in the storage as soon as they return, but on a 4 player game it makes sense if each player has different priorities. Although, if this is how they play, I doubt they will last long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
msg tools
Narkon wrote:
WorkPlace66 wrote:

I am new to the game so I may have this wrong, but the rules say that Gear is removed from the returning survivors in step 8 of the Settlement phase, when you also choose departing survivors for the new Hunt. Doesn't this mean that returning survivors are fully geared for most of the Settlement phase which includes the Settlement Event step?

Additionally, any remaining resources are removed from the returning survivors in step 9, so if something happens and a returning survivor leaves the settlement before that, the settlement should lose access to the resources that survivor is carrying. Isn't that correct?

At the moment, I am playing solo to familiarize myself with the rules and it feels weird to keep the resources on the survivors instead of turning them in the storage as soon as they return, but on a 4 player game it makes sense if each player has different priorities. Although, if this is how they play, I doubt they will last long.

You are correct, sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Returning survivors can be killed with their gear. We had our best survivor with some awesome gear killed that way.

We house-ruled that if an event does something terrible, but had a chance of something good happening, we play as written. But events that are all downside we fudge it if the results are devastating.

In the case of a survivor getting killed in a way that would lose his gear, we house ruled that another returning survivor could skip the next year recovering the gear from the body. That seemed like a fair amount of downside to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a returning survivor who still has Dried Acanthus in the gear grid is actually a common way to try to avoid a severe injury during settlement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Having a returning survivor who still has Dried Acanthus in the gear grid is actually a common way to try to avoid a severe injury during settlement phase.

Now that is a great idea.

I would almost consider a house rule by which any survivor can use dry acanthus during the develop step. For instance, random non-returning survivor who we'll call "Shrmegory" uses an endeavor for Scarification. He rolls poorly and would suffer (I don't have the rules in front of me, so make up a severe injury). However, he took a dried acanthus with, so he's all good. Just a loss of an endeavor, which is bad enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, avoiding getting blinded by Scarification is one of the most common uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
OH. They keep it until people DEPART? Wow, that’s game changing. Neat stuff my next campaign surprise wonder what other neat bonuses I’ve been missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
OH. They keep it until people DEPART? Wow, that’s game changing. Neat stuff my next campaign surprise wonder what other neat bonuses I’ve been missing.

It turns out not to make much difference, except for Dried Acanthus as mentioned above.

Also, I would encourage everyone to play RAW on this until you've finished at least one campaign. Losing a Rawhide set is recoverable, losing late-game gear may not be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Weber
msg tools
Ok, I stand corrected but there is no way I'm going to play like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
WorkPlace66 wrote:
Ok, I stand corrected but there is no way I'm going to play like that.

I'm curious what your difficulty with it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.