Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: AC or AC: Inferno first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Gonzalez
msg tools
Hi all, first time poster in here. I need the opinions of Arcadia Quest vets. I was late to the party and bought the original AQ couple weeks ago. I only played the first scenario and was immediately in love with the game. Then I saw the whole inferno kickstarter on ebay and instantly bought it. But now I'm wondering: For the optimal experience, should I complete the original AQ first, the inferno one or the mixed campaign included with the kickstarter? Now I'm not asking which is better I intend to play them all I just want to know in which order, including all the elemental dragons, the pets expansion the nameless campaign and the whole lotta lava exansion. I want the opinion of those who have played everything.Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through all of the campaigns at least once and my opinion is to pick the one that sounds most interesting to you. The base game is a tiny bit simplified (no RIP cards or damnation, for instance), and I think that the Beyond the Grave and Inferno campaigns were a bit more interesting, but just select the one that piques your interest the most. What my group enjoyed doing was selecting entirely new sets of heroes (i.e. removing from consideration any that we'd previously used in a campaign) and drafting new combos of characters each time we started up a new campaign. Just jump right in and chuck some dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Gonzalez
msg tools
Thank you I might do that. Another question: Can I mix exploration tokens from both base games or would that affect the gameplay because of the abondance of treasure chests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only things I have mixed between campaigns/sets is heroes, actually. You also switch out some equipment from the base game if you're playing Beyond the Grave. Theoretically, everything from all the sets is compatible with everything else. But you run into weird interactions if you get equipment that uses damnation in your base game campaign, for instance.

So, long story short, I would keep the equipment and tokens separate, but mix up the heroes and even swap out monsters (of the same level and attack type) if you want (but I'd play each campaign as directed at least the first time). In mixing up the heroes, trying out different combinations of scenarios within each campaign, and the randomness and drafting of equipment cards, you'll be sure to have plenty of variety and replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Gonzalez
msg tools
I see, thanks for your reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Churgin
Israel
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry if this is hijacking but...
I just have AC:I, but in the kickstarter also got the AC characters. I haven't mixed them because the AC characters seem much more powerful. Do you think that's true or do you think I can mix them freely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.