Agra» Forums » Rules

Subject: No workers - unfortunate location for greyed out clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Butcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gone through the rules twice and am satisfied that I am 99.9% familiar with how everything works and fits together. The proof will be when I explain this on Saturday!

This isn't really a rules question but more of an observation. The greyed out section at the bottom of page 12 for what to do if you have no workers appears to be related to section 6.2.1.4 due to its location, especially since it has a clarification about not being able to build a building.

I appreciate that it is far more generic but it took me some time to understand the section that reads 'you may not build a Building during this action, as it requires 2 Workers (see "Architect" on the next page)'.

The key here is that you can never use section 6.2.1.4 if you have no available workers since you would need to peon an existing worker and you could not possibly already have one at a building under construction!

Consequently you must be using the peon action at the Architect and under those circumstances you would need an extra worker to place on the building you are constructing.

Another possibility which is not explicitly covered, but in principle is fairly obvious, is the case that you have only one worker left and do not have one at the Architect. You place your first worker at the Architect but then you wouldn't have a second worker to place at the new building so you couldn't build the building at all and would instead have to move one of your influence markers up a step (or choose a different action entirely).

Is all this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello martin,

the greyed out section is meant to be linked to the WHOLE of section 6.1.2, not just the subsections. However, it's true that it was important to link it to chapter 6.1.2.4.

To be clear: you MUST have two workers for this action; In your last sentence, you state that:

Quote:
"Another possibility which is not explicitly covered, but in principle is fairly obvious, is the case that you have only one worker left and do not have one at the Architect. You place your first worker at the Architect but then you wouldn't have a second worker to place at the new building so you couldn't build the building at all and would instead have to move one of your influence markers up a step (or choose a different action entirely).
"

so no, you cannot do that. The rules state that

Quote:
" you may not build a Building during this action"

so you have to be able to do the full action. Since in your example, you don't have the second worker to place it on the building you just built, you're not doing the action fully, so this isn't allowed; You have to choose another action. The "Build the Building" in this section refers to the Architect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
using the architect doesnt mean you have to build a building, so i thought yes, you can use the architect for the guild track option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.