Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mech Gamer

London
msg tools
badge
Why do you keep touching me?
mbmbmbmbmb
So, watched the video of this at PAX and it looks like a really interesting refresh...

Brad, if you happen to read this, or anyone in the know, don't suppose you fancy talking us through the decision making process on the new rules, and any other rules we may not have seen in the video (is there still collapsing? How does it work?)

Will deffo be picking up this new version asap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Solis
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am a dude who gave demos. There is still collapsing in the game. You need to have a dead character in each column. Then you can use your turn to remove those 5 dead characters and have everything fall 'down'. I didn't play the original, so I'm not sure if that is different then before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
You can collapse rows as well as columns.

As for the new rules, we received statistical analysis that the Killer was a bit stronger at high level play, due to the ability to create a 'wall of bodies'. Thus, we added the inspector's "Solve" action which allows them to stake the game on a guess of the killer's identity.

Finally, we gave the killer a single disguise (rather than unlimited use of the disguises). This more limited option makes you think more carefully about how you are going to use your disguise in order to capture the inspector. This is similar to the way the Master Thief worked in Mode #4 of the original noir.

As far as the components of the game, the thick tiles are a big addition to the NOIR formula, and we'll include them in future editions as well.

I hope that answers some questions, and thanks for your interest in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
As for the new rules, we received statistical analysis that the Killer was a bit stronger at high level play, due to the ability to create a 'wall of bodies'. Thus, we added the inspector's "Solve" action which allows them to stake the game on a guess of the killer's identity.

Finally, we gave the killer a single disguise (rather than unlimited use of the disguises). This more limited option makes you think more carefully about how you are going to use your disguise in order to capture the inspector. This is similar to the way the Master Thief worked in Mode #4 of the original noir.

How does the Solve action not distort the game in favor of the Inspector? Most of the time in late game, the inspector has deduced the identity of the killer by elimination. It's just a matter of getting in the right position and not exposing your own identity early. How could the killer still get 14 kills without his identity being known?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mech Gamer

London
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I *think* (would want Brad to speak for himself) but I think that is why the total number of kills is reduced to only 10 for the killer - so that end game is brought forward slightly and avoid the "Inspector knows but can't get close" scenario.

Sounds great all round to me, can't wait to have a go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mech Gamer

London
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also really quickly, with the solve action: I guess you have to correctly guess the killer's current identity? (I.E. the disguise that that killer currently occupies)?

That is super interesting because it means that to successfully 'solve' you really need to have figured out both the killer's disguises... to be sure that you know which they are right now...

Great stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mech_gamer wrote:
Also really quickly, with the solve action: I guess you have to correctly guess the killer's current identity? (I.E. the disguise that that killer currently occupies)?

That is super interesting because it means that to successfully 'solve' you really need to have figured out both the killer's disguises... to be sure that you know which they are right now...

Once you've played a couple times and pay attention to kills, the inspector will inevitably know the killer's identity/disguise. In other words, the difficulty of the late game for the inspector is not determining the killer's identity but getting close enough to make an arrest without arousing suspicion and getting killed him/herself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
With the solve action, you actually need to correctly identify both the Killer's disguise and current identity exactly. Getting either wrong is game over.

This means solve isn't usually viable until the point in the game where moving close to the killer is no longer reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
As far as the components of the game, the thick tiles are a big addition to the NOIR formula, and we'll include them in future editions as well.

Does this mean future printings of Black Box will include tiles rather than cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
1) Can we have a rules PDF? (Or a link to "living rules" on lvl99's website, like Pixel Tactics once had)

2) Will there be a Automata: NIER spinoff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
mech_gamer wrote:

Great stuff

You actually have to guess BOTH their current identity AND their disguise. In the update for Automata, the Killer is limited to one disguise (kind of like the Master Thief in the Master Thief vs. Chief of Police mode).

danaolson wrote:
Kyokai wrote:

Does this mean future printings of Black Box will include tiles rather than cards?

We will probably seek other licenses rather than reprinting Black Box again and again. It depends on how the Automata edition does. Either way, the tiles are so nice and add so much to the game that I don't think we'll ever go back to cards.

SaltyHorse wrote:
1) Can we have a rules PDF? (Or a link to "living rules" on lvl99's website, like Pixel Tactics once had)

Sure. We'll get the rulebook to Automata NOIR posted up ASAP.

SaltyHorse wrote:
2) Will there be a Automata: NIER spinoff?

Fan Expansions are a thing, why not make it so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.