Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that quite a few say that Lowenherz is at its best as a four player game.
Is it that bad at three player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
In my opinion Lowenherz is really great with four players. Yet its merely OK with three. So my thought would be no, don't buy it for only three. I'd suggest buying some game designed for three (my favorite is The End of the Triumvirate). Or... recruit another player if you really want to play Lowenherz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael, the group often switches from three to four players, so I might give it a go for those four player sessions, thanks for the speedy reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also consider checking out Domaine, which is a reimplementation of Lowenherz. It eliminates the bidding, and it's good at all player counts.

My group doesn't like auctions and bidding games, so it works well for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts Jeff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to like it best with 3. I also like it at 4 and 2, but 3 is my favorite. The game is a bit tamer, but that is usually a good thing when playing with gamers who like Euros.

I would stay away from Domaine, which takes out all of the pokey bits.

YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your insights Randy, much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, none of this really helps you since you found two people to say opposite things.

I will say that I always play with the variable construction rules. Also, when you're teaching others, it's a good idea to emphasize that players can lose points (occasionally even lose more than they gained by creating a region in the first place).

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Randy,it all helps me form my opinion and I reallly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and tips. This is what I love about BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.