United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of them mine (I don't have any for that matter):
2 dogs died... old age and complications (it was a rescue dog)

2 cats died... old age, while another got left outside between cold too long

parrot... sent away b/c they couldn't take care of that + a cat + a incoming newborn. Parrots live to 50+ years of age too!

EDIT: Edited the title to be clear. That's not going to stop those from cracking jokes (as is typical with the internet and BGG), but for those whom this was genuinely ambiguous, I am seeking stories of genuine pet deaths or losses otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How many pets have been lost over the course of board gaming?
Jesus... what were you playing? TI3? That's a long game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goldspire wrote:
Jesus... what were you playing? TI3? That's a long game...
"Board gaming" as in the hobby, not "one single game". I've been in the hobby for about a decade now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the little dog in Kill Doctor Lucky... and His Little Dog, Too! count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well lets see... the oldest game (according to a quick search with Google) was Senet, which dates to around 3100 BC. Its around 2000 now, so that's 5100 years of pets dying while people play board games whistle; so an awful lot of pets have died while boardgaming.

(Sorry for the tongue in cheek reply, but this is a rather odd thing to ponder... but don't worry, I like odd!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh....we've had a run of bad luck with dogs in the past two years.

In February of 2016 my dad adopted a 9 year old Cane Corso mix from a rescue. He passed at the end of July 2016.

First week of August 2016 I adopted an 8 year old pure bred German Shepherd from my cousin who rescued the dog from a puppy mill. She (the dog) passed in early September 2017.

Then this past Tuesday my dad's pure bred Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff) passed after 11 years. He got her as a puppy from an ethical breeder out in Colorado (they bred one litter and only at the encouragement of others who felt it would help revive the breed which at the time was waning).

So it's been a bad 2 years for dogs. Hopefully it'll be awhile before the next dog passes. In mid-September, after my Shepherd passed, I adopted an 18 month old Rottweiler mix my dad was fostering. Then my dad still has two dogs: a Cane Corso mix he adopted from a rescue and a 2 year old pure bred Rottweiler that he's fostering (previous owners dumped the dog at a doggie daycare and refused to come back for it).

EDIT: I also forgot to mention my friend's cat that passed away last winter and his Yellow Lab that passed about 3 years ago. Another friend had to surrender his rescue mutt after his wife proved to be allergic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Birkett
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Ugh....we've had a run of bad luck with dogs in the past two years.

In February of 2016 my dad adopted a 9 year old Cane Corso mix from a rescue. He passed at the end of July 2016.

First week of August 2016 I adopted an 8 year old pure bred German Shepherd from my cousin who rescued the dog from a puppy mill. She (the dog) passed in early September 2017.

Then this past Tuesday my dad's pure bred Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff) passed after 11 years. He got her as a puppy from an ethical breeder out in Colorado (they bred one litter and only at the encouragement of others who felt it would help revive the breed which at the time was waning).

So it's been a bad 2 years for dogs. Hopefully it'll be awhile before the next dog passes. In mid-September, after my Shepherd passed, I adopted an 18 month old Rottweiler mix my dad was fostering. Then my dad still has two dogs: a Cane Corso mix he adopted from a rescue and a 2 year old pure bred Rottweiler that he's fostering (previous owners dumped the dog at a doggie daycare and refused to come back for it).

EDIT: I also forgot to mention my friend's cat that passed away last winter and his Yellow Lab that passed about 3 years ago. Another friend had to surrender his rescue mutt after his wife proved to be allergic.

It seems like your family does a great job of adopting and helping animals in need. Though some of them passed away after only a few months it must be great knowing that at least they had a good home before they passed away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1363352/flash-point-fire-res...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was going to be about all those cats in game boxes starving once those boxes are closed and put away ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iverson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well it was a pretty close thing the one time Jack (aka the real Special Agent Jack Bauer the cat) decided he didn't like Gloucester's force arrangement and decided to rearrange the counters during the Battle of Tewkesbury from GMT's Blood & Roses.

(And no, it is only an urban legend that he meowed "we're running out of time" as he sprang from the table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
I thought this was going to be about all those cats in game boxes starving once those boxes are closed and put away ...
Nah. I'm talking about real pet deaths, or losses otherwise. In one of my groups, I was told that the host's cat died. It was just a cat, and no funeral service was held, but I and others do miss him, even if all he did was park underneath the table, or get in our way at times (literally, as we'd have to step over him)

In my previous other game nights, the pets were a small, but non-trivial part of the group in a manner of speaking. Especially the parrot I mentioned in the OP... the thing would mimic the stuff we say, like Dominion... "+2 actions! +3 cards!", and would even make meowing noises... confusing the $#@ out of us since initially, we looked around the room, found both cats were with us, and wondering where a "3rd cat" came from!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:

Just don't open those boxes ever again then the cats could still be alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.