Hide
7 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » Variants

Subject: d8 Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
So I was playing around with my Dnd Dice and when playing with my d8s i strated thinking about adding them to KoT.

Basically my idea is simple. First off, evolution. Most of time, people in tokyo do not try to heal since you cannot meaning that evolutions are often ignored. i would rather gain points/Get energy/do damage, then hope i get three hearts and get an evolution. That is 7 symbols. I figured I would keep the original 6, add in evolution as a seventh symbol, and then i tried to figure out what to be the eighth symbol. After scratching my head i decided, Why not just leave it blank. You still do your three roles with teh dice and everything else gameplay wise is the same. Evolution is still done with 3 hearts or 3 evolution (or combination of the two) (I was gonna go with two hearts on the die but i didn't want to make healing that much easier. Just evolution) And then you could end your turn with blank rolls that do Nothing. I feel it adds a bit more complexity to the game while keeping the core mechanics and gameplay in tact. (plus people in tokyo may feel a bit safer if people are rolling blanks instead of claws, and they may also opt to try evolving a bit more f they roll 2 hearts, they may keep them to aim for another heart or evolution. (instead of re-rolling the useless heart that does not heal)

What do you guys think of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Wildstar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good sounding idea that's not overly complicated. Granted I'm someone that has no problem house ruling games if it makes it more fun. I do agree pulling off an Evolution could use a boost as it can be a bit tricky, especially in Tokyo, for the reasons you mentioned.

Using one of the die faces as a "blank" could balance it all out. Naturally it should correspond with the "1".

Assuming you try it out and thought you would use it as a variant on occasion, I'd consider creating printing out a player aid with the numbers reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
do you mean having a sheet that has what the symbols do and how to use them (Like for example, the combination of hearts and Evolution crests can be used to get an evolution instead of just rolling 3 hearts or 3 evolution crests)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Wildstar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood you were talking about using d8 dice. If so, than the player aid would tell you what each number means relative to the game symbols for healing, energy, fight etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
i pay with people who already know how the game works. I just have to explain how the d8 system works (like that a blank roll does absolutely nothing, and evolution symbol.)

I really do like the idea of having 2 different symbols that can evolve but by not adding a second heart i did not make healing more likely to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gashnaw wrote:
Derrick Wildstar wrote:
I understood you were talking about using d8 dice. If so, than the player aid would tell you what each number means relative to the game symbols for healing, energy, fight etc.
i pay with people who already know how the game works. I just have to explain how the d8 system works (like that a blank roll does absolutely nothing, and evolution symbol.)

He means that a d8 has numbers, not "energy" or "hearts" or whatever.
A chart that tells you what the d8 means in Tokyo terms.
So if you roll...
1 > 1
2 > 2
3 > 3
4 > Heart
5 > Claw
6 > Energy
7 > Evolution
8 > Blank

Unless you're going to customize some d8's for this purpose, you need a fixed conversion for what each number actually does.

(For the sake of completeness: Despite it being convenient for "1=1" and "3=3", on an actual Tokyo die they are opposed to each other, which is not the case for a typical d8. There are a few cards that "flip" dice and use the opposite side, so 'd8 Tokyo' would play slightly different, but likely not different enough to care)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
I am using custom dice and the "flips" are teh same as the d6 (1-3, 2-hearth, claw-energy) and then the evolution and blank oppose each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.