Hide
14 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: I pledged rookie campaign - Is this enough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant F.
msg tools
I understand there are 8 more mini expansions in the Rookie gameplay bundle for $120. If I just get the base game (tookie pledge), is that enough to have a lot of fun? Basically I don't know anything about this game. Am I missing anything by not getting the expansions?

I was thinking if I don't pledge for the additional 8 expansions I may never see them at retail and have to order direct at a higher cost. Is this true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I have the base game for now, am playing it and very much enjoying myself. I would be happy even if this was the only content I ever had for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They say this game will never be available for retail. I'm sure the game is great even without any expansions. The question is, can you justify spending all that money? Will you have an unshakable feeling that you're missing out?

Me, I'm just getting the base game. There are always other games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
nerman8r wrote:
They say this game will never be available for retail. I'm sure the game is great even without any expansions. The question is, can you justify spending all that money? Will you have an unshakable feeling that you're missing out?

I have no idea. Thought someone can help me out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ev Sach
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played this game yet but I went all in! I am getting it send in 2 waves, so I can enjoy the base game first and then should be ready to try the game with the expansions later in year when they arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
nerman8r wrote:

You will never see them at retail. You may be able to order directly from the publisher for a period of time.

The base game is fun as is. The expansions add more variety and fun. I'm sure this doesn't help you decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
If I just get the base game (tookie pledge), is that enough to have a lot of fun?

The Rookie pledge contains 9 curses, ranging from 2 to 20 hours to complete. So that should keep you busy for the better part of 100 hours.
If you don't think that's enough, you can get (1 of) the 3 curse expansions.
If you're afraid the game will get repetitive you can get the other expansions to add more variance.
If you suffer from FOMO don't forget the BGG promos, as they're not included in the bundle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thavesak Chuensaichol
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
I'm considering to go all-in too. As a player whom didn't play the based game before, I'm not sure that the extra contents worth it or not.

Probably, I have to check the pledge manager first whether there is an options for me to try the base game on first wave then purchase the expansion on the second wave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
nerman8r wrote:

If you can afford it, go all in. With the limited distribution it's likely you will be able to sell it after playing for a fair price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Amey
United States
Eastern Shore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the core game during the first Kickstarter campaign and haven't finished the four base curses yet. For the second Kickstarter, I've backed at the Veteran level and plan on getting everything I missed from the first KS campaign as well as the additional content from the second KS. I don't know if that is the completionist in me or the fact that I really want to explore everything the continent has to offer.

Regardless, I am a fan of the system and the adventure and I haven't even successfully conquered my first curse yet. I have taken a break from playing the game for the last few weeks but fully intend on getting back on the table soon.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imo the Rookie pledge is enough, especially if you haven't played the game yet.

With the success of this KS campaign, imo it's a given that we haven't seen the last of this developer creating these kind of games. I think it's logical that there will be another KS-campaign for the 7th continent or a similar system with a completely new theme (sci-fi).

In this regard the question to ask is: How much time do I typically invest into a single boardgame across a year?
If it's within your typical gaming habit to invest more than 100hours across ~2years into a single game, the expansions are probably worth it. If you typically invest less, you will probably have the chance to migrate to a completely new setting after barely finishing the rookie pledge.

Personally I initially thought about getting a few extra curses, but since I have to order everything before playing the game, I thought I have more than enough content if it isn't instantly my favorite game and even if it is, I probably only have to take a short break before a new iteration of this game-idea will be available. If, for some reason, I don't enjoy it as much as I think, I can get a few other games with the money saved by not buying the additional curses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:

Personally I initially thought about getting a few extra curses, but since I have to order everything before playing the game, I thought I have more than enough content if it isn't instantly my favorite game and even if it is, I probably only have to take a short break before a new iteration of this game-idea will be available. If, for some reason, I don't enjoy it as much as I think, I can get a few other games with the money saved by not buying the additional curses.

This sentiment is what I'm going with to make myself feel better about NOT buying ALL THE THINGS. I'm generally a completionist when it comes to gaming but I simply cannot justify the money right now.

I also have the benefit of having a cousin who DID buy the whole kit and kaboodle, so if I decide that my copy doesn't have enough content, I'll likely be able to borrow his to try out the expansions. And if I then feel like I need to own the expansions, it'll just be one of those crazy treasure hunt things I have in the back of my mind and maybe one day I'll nab the expansions for a reasonable price and feel lucky. That's always a fun feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forkner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm fighting with the completionist in me as well. This point seems to keep slapping me upside the head though (e.g., There is so much content to begin with, will I even notice it's missing? Especially if I'm likely to spend 100 hours on this over 3-4 years)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Survivor Pledge: (just base game)
Cards: 962
Curses: 4
Cost: $80
Cost per card: $.083
Cost per curse: $20

Veteran Pledge (adds What Goes Up, Must Come Down expansion and Stretch goals in KS#2):
Cards: 479 (there will also be a few more cards as the final curse stretch goals aren't completely revealed yet)
Curses: 5
Cost: $49
Cost per card: $.102 (less when cards from final curse are added in)
Cost per curse: $9.80

Bundle “Explorer” expansions (3 expansions with curses)
Cards:

Cards: 288
Curses: 3
Cost: $49 for Bundle “Explorer” expansions
Cost per card: $.170
Cost per curse: $16.33

5 other small expansions plus BGG promo cards:

Cards:175
Curses: 0
Cost: ~$77 if the 5 expansions are bought as part of Rookie / Survivor “Gameplay Bundle” or the Rookie + “Full Gameplay” Bundle.
Cost per card: $.440
Cost per curse: NA
*These expansions also contain 18 figures in 3 of the expansions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a purely bang for your buck view... in terms of cards, the base game is the best value as you are paying ~8 cents per card.

From a $/curse perspective the What Goes up, Must come Down expansion plus the stretch goals are good value as well, providing 5 curses at ~$10 per curse and more cards at ~10 cents a card.

The expansions with curses add more cards but are pricier at ~17 cents per card and ~$16 per curse.

The other non-curse expansions are arguably the least bang for your buck as they are ~44 cents per card and add no extra curses.

So from a purely bang for your buck perspective... the base game and What Goes Up, Must Come Down package.. aka Rookie Pledge... would likely be the best bang for your buck at ~9 cents per card and ~$14 per curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.