Subject: Train game for two players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Any recommendations? We have Ticket to Ride Europe, but are looking for something a little heavier.

We also have all of the Trains deckbuilder expansions.

Railways of the World, Age of Steam, and Chicago Express all sound interesting, but I've read that they don't play well with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Steam has lots of "expansion" maps, some of which are designed for 2p. One even comes in the Eagle version of the game. However I have not played any 2p maps so can't comment. But on the base "Rust Belt" map 2p is not recommended. It's not super readily available now, but it seems to show up every once and a while in some shops.

An alternative you might look into is Tramways. It was heavily influenced on Age of Steam. 2p may not be the best count, but lots of people like it. The auction is pretty weird and people actually seem to enjoy it at 2p. It has a light deck building element to it and route building and pick up and deliver.

The designer recommends a specific setup for 2p you can see on the forums here.

I'd check out some reviews and do some research, it will be quite a bit different than TTR Europe, but not necessarily a ton heavier than some of the other games I see you rated highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a while away from being available but I'm excited to play SteamRollers when it is finished. It might be worth adding to your list for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Gallardo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Crayon rail games, such as Eurorails, are best at two! But make sure you use the public-locking rules for crayon rail games.

Apparently, Russian Railroads works well at 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Tramways. I suggest trying the 2p variant from the rules (only 3 boards) if you want more competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania is a heavier version of TtR. Expecially United Kingdom. Not a lot heavier mind, but you did specify a "little" heavier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
Try the USA map with the Big Cities variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Railways of the World plays great at the 2 player count. Rahdo even has it ranked in his top 50 games (out of the hundreds he's played), and he plays exclusively 2 player.

+1 for Russian Railroads and also the card version, First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express! (which I like even more).

Also, many people say Airlines Europe is the next logical step up from Ticket to Ride. It's by the same designer and has similar mechanisms, but is a little heavier (and adds stocks). I know it's technically not a train game, but it certainly feels like one and is a reimplementation of Union Pacific.

Other train games I enjoy at the 2 player count:
Railroad Revolution
First Train to Nuremberg
+1 for Tramways
Whistle Stop
Spike
Rolling Freight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Tramways.

While not really a train game and not its best at two, I've enjoyed Brass as a two player game.

The deluxe version comes with a double-sided board with the two player map on one side.

Alternatively, a separate board can be purchased or the board of the original edition can be tightened up for two player by covering up some cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Acrux wrote:

We also have all of the Trains deckbuilder expansions.

Presumably this means Trains: Rising Sun, which for any other couple is pretty satisfying 2p trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Whistle Stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express!

It's just a card game, so it doesn't have route building or the spacial element, but it has a solid train theme and plays well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Via Nebula

This is an excellent 2-player game and I believe it was adapted from a Martin Wallace train game.

It is essentially, a train game (pick-up and deliver) but re-themed for a more whimsical fantasy theme.

It definitely, feels like a train game but I like this theme better and the art work is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the crayon rails games (Empire Builder, Euro Rails, etc.) have rules for two player play to tighten it up, and I think they work pretty well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Avello
msg tools
No one say Trambahn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Night
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for 'Tramways'.

Another way to make the game tighter, without reducing the board size to three, is to flip the boards over to their 'difficult' side. You start with less buildings (and therefore passengers) making you fight over what's available even if you're more spread out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.