Popular Tags: where's_the_poll [+] [View All]
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your limit on a play time, how long is too long for you? I have to honestly say that I'm good for about an hour for a game, anything much longer and my eyes start to glaze over. There are certainly games I own that are meaty enough to go over an hour but unless I am prepared for the journey it's gonna get rough for me. I know for a fact that the wife won't put up with a game that lasts more than an hour so there is some food for my thoughts. How about everyone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMK
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
May neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, The angels protect you, and heaven accept you.
badge
May your troubles be less, and your blessing be more. And nothing but happiness, come through your door.
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to limit my games to 1.5 hours or more. I find games less than that are over too quickly and don't have as much strategic depth as I would like.

Ideally I stick to games between two and four hours (or more if I can get them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't think I have yet discovered an upward limit. However, games are a social endeavor for me, and I will start to lose interest if I see other players doing so. So far, the longest that we have been able to maintain interest in a single game is probably around 6 hours for Civilization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as I can play it within the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirt Mike
United States
Canoga Park
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The power of BGG compels you!
mbmbmbmbmb
anything under a couple hours is good for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Personally, I don't think I have yet discovered an upward limit. However, games are a social endeavor for me, and I will start to lose interest if I see other players doing so. So far, the longest that we have been able to maintain interest in a single game is probably around 6 hours for Civilization.

+1

I crossed over to board games from RPG's, which I've played for many years. Those game sessions could go 6, 8, or even 12 hours at times, so I'm good with longer games.

However, as you mentioned, when others at the table seem done, I tend to want to wrap it up as well.

I don't get to play as often as I'd like, so when I DO manage to plan a game session, I want it to be longer than a single 1 hour game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ry
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the type of game night
If it is a night of just like Uno, Munchkin, Joking Hazard, Werewolf and such. Then probably just a couple of hours, as those nights it is more about the socializing and the games are just a bridge to see people
However, when I want to play meatier like Three Kingdoms Redux or Mistfall or the like
Then I will start earlier, as in those cases the games are the focus and the people are just the bridge to bring the games in my life
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games are best when done in several sessions over a weekend or holiday with other activities -- hiking, kayaking, cooking and eating etc. and even playing shorter games (sometimes with subsets of the group) -- intersperced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most cases I prefer games to be completed within 3hrs. That said I'm quite happy to play longer games, it's just that they need to be scheduled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as interesting decisions are still to be made or camaraderie is still infused into the experience, I can stomach quite a long playtime. I played a game on Wednesday solely about currency conversion and valuation. That's a topic that would glaze over the eyes of many an individual. But, for me, the game posed interesting decisions, and the other guys crazy enough to sit down and try to tank the British Pound in favor of the Euro (what fun!) or bet hard on Chinese Yuan futures created such a fun and funny environment that it was 3 hours well-spent.

What I can't stand is when games are disproportionately long, relative to their amount of luck. I can take a super-lucky 15-30 minute game in stride. A super-lucky game of 2+ hours will never be played by me more than once (if that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Gonna play TI this Saturday, so I'll let you know Sunday if I have a limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not me, but the venues often do. It usually works out at about 2 1/2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a game I'm already familiar with then time is not a concern. I've played Talisman for over 3 hours and once played a 12 person multiplayer game of Magic: The Gathering for 10.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
What is your limit on a play time, how long is too long for you? I have to honestly say that I'm good for about an hour for a game, anything much longer and my eyes start to glaze over. There are certainly games I own that are meaty enough to go over an hour but unless I am prepared for the journey it's gonna get rough for me. I know for a fact that the wife won't put up with a game that lasts more than an hour so there is some food for my thoughts. How about everyone else?

I don't play much that runs over four hours; but Twilight Imperium 4 plays that fast.

I don't play too many games that are under 15 minutes, Love Letter is fun but we played it too much. Two Rooms and a Boom, I don't have playgroups of more than 20 people around anymore, or I'd still play that. The Resistance is my favorite.

Basically, if the playtime is measured in days or more, I won't touch it, otherwise, I'll probably give it a shot. I do want to try Here I Stand, though, but I think that one doesn't take more than a full day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a single game, depends on the game.

For a game session, 6-8 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mercer
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
I have to honestly say that I'm good for about an hour for a game, anything much longer and my eyes start to glaze over

I'd hate to limit myself to games of an hour or less, but that's just me there's nothing wrong if people do.
I have no limit to game time - the only time I even notice how long a game has been going is if it stops being fun (very rare). My 'game group' is just friends and family and we game at our homes so we have no time limits (other than going to bed on a work night!).

My favourite games are multiplayer slog-fests A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition),Forbidden Stars, Eclipse or Fief: France 1429 and I just love the anticipation and then the playing of a whole day's gaming.

I don't dislike games of an hour or less, it's just that they somehow feel less substantial (to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely depends on the game.

In general I would say around 3 hours is where it starts getting too long; I am unlikely to want to play games that last longer than that.
But there are certainly games that feel too long at 1.5 hours or even at 1 hour -- it all depends how much is in the game!

(Food Chain Magnate probably took us around 3 hours both times I played, but that never felt long while playing. So yeah, definitely depends on the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to other commitments, it is rare for me to have more than 3-4 hours in a row to play games. So I don't really know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope!

I played a scenario of Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France with a friend for 24 hours in a weekend. I have games that get played for weeks. I played a partial scenario of La Bataille de la Moscowa (third edition) for 8 hours.

If a game is good...why set a limit. Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
The longest I’ve played so far was a 9 hour Mega Civilization game with 12 players. By the end I was more mentally dead than uninterested in playing more hours. I was the one running the game, so keeping 12 peoples’ ducks in a row and handling all the calamities for that long was fairly mentally exhausting.

Would play longer though, also would do again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a decade ago I had a play time limit - about 1 hour per game and 2 hour sessions due to my wife's limited tolerance. When we got Pandemic that all changed, and over time she worked her brain to tolerate concentrating on complex games for longer and longer periods of time. She prefers her games to not go longer than 2.5-3 hours and can do full evening and occasional day sessions (12 hours).

Myself? I come from a pencil-and-paper RPG background. Playing 18 hours, going to work, napping for 3 hours, and playing another 18 hours is nothing new to me. I can go all day and all weekend, and would love to have the luxury of playing all week long. I have no upper limit. I prefer games to be in the 2+ hour range so I have time to develop my strategies and recover from mistakes, but there are times where short games are good also.

Here is something people forget: you don't start out running a marathon, and you don't start out being able to play Arkwright or 7 Ages total history campaign. Your brain needs to train and practice sitting and focusing for so long, and experienced gamers often forget all the training they have done while playing fun games. Experienced gamers will talk about their early games and how none equaled it, but I suspect playing its equals is like lifting the same weight all the time. It isn't that the different weight machine is easier or not as good, its that your muscles grew and you need more weight to get the same strain - and its not that those other games were not as good but that your brain grew and you need more complexity to get the same strain. Of course, some people just want to tone up, so they stick to the same routine with more repetitions; and some people will always like light and fast games, never wanting to get into the heavier games. People are complex and my statements are an insufficient generalization. Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally prefer games that are under four hours. The closer it gets to that, or beyond, the better the game has to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnpgamer me
msg tools
About 45 minutes. After that we both just want the game to end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game. I would not be willing to play even 30 minutes of Talisman, but am fine with 6 hours of Twilight Imperium once in a while.

The sweet spot for me seems to be just under 2 hours long. Such games you can usually trust to offer enough depth to make the time worth it (though not always, as with aforementioned Talisman). Generally speaking I'd rather play one complex game than two simpler ones in the same timeframe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
No upper limit on time - day-long games are fine. Also play games that can take six months or more of once or twice a week sessions of a few hours each. I came over from RPGs where long sessions were the norm, and then got into wargames like Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, so shorter games seemed like warm-ups for the main event.

The rise of euros changed that some, but I still like a good long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.