Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Friendly Meeple
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my game today and was excited to open it up. That excitement quickly turned to disappointment when the first card of the starter cards (card 1) had what looked like a chip or crack on the lower right corner on the front of the card. The back looked fine, so I convinced myself the crack wouldn't affect gameplay but figured I would have to sleeve the cards to keep the front from becoming worse. I was pretty bummed about the card and got some fantasy flight sleeves to start sleeving.

As I start sleeving the starter cards I come across one (card 14) that has several small indentations at the top back of the card. They're really noticeable, enough that you will be able to tell that card from the others. Before sleeving any further I go through the upgrade and realm decks. The quality of the cards is terrible. There are several cards with vertical lines mostly along the left back that look like scratches, several more with the small indentations on the back and a few with noticeable circles on the back. Not counting the cards with the vertical scratches because there are too many of them to count, there are 31 cards with indentations or circle marks on them. The Fantasy Flight sleeves I got are clear so I can't use them because all the markings can still be seen, I have to get a colored back sleeve now. I packed the game back up and put it on the shelf in disgust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not contact the company and see if they will replace the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it's deliberate so as to tie in with the theme implied by the title?

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt the issue is really all that bad, I am sure they will replace cards if it is a common issue.

That being said, Indie Boards and Cards and Action Phase Games have never been great with component quality. I have so many different versions of Coup cards between promos and expansions and different editions that it seems they're switching up printers with each project. But when sleeved it's not a big issue and I hope Path is fine in the end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Friendly Meeple
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:

The 31 cards that are the worst of the bunch are from 7 different decks so I don't think they would be easy to replace, and that's not replacing the vertical scratched ones.

da pyrate wrote:
Perhaps it's deliberate so as to tie in with the theme implied by the title?

Exactly shake

Slashdoctor wrote:
I doubt the issue is really all that bad, I am sure they will replace cards if it is a common issue.

That being said, Indie Boards and Cards and Action Phase Games have never been great with component quality. I have so many different versions of Coup cards between promos and expansions and different editions that it seems they're switching up printers with each project. But when sleeved it's not a big issue and I hope Path is fine in the end

The 31 are really bad. The rest are noticeable, not what you'd expect from a new game. I have some Ultra Pro sleeves with a colored back but they have a hologram on the bottom front that blocks the text, so out I go to get 300 more sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly find very hard to understand these kinda rants. Disgust? C'mon...

Production or print errors can happen to any game. Just contact the publisher and I'm 100% sure they'll replace your faulty parts.

Ranting and posting this kind of stuff won't get your stuff fixed or replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not ranting myself, but mine did have the same issue, with a large majority of the cards having the corner "cracking" issue. I did contact them, and they are sending a new set of cards, as well as a couple things I was missing. I am concerned, however, that this could potentially be the same issue as Aeon's End had with its first printing, as it also had the "cracking" issue on all of its cards. In the case of Aeon's End, they ended up making all new sets of cards when the expansion War Eternal came out and gave those newly printed, better quality cards to each of the original backers. If the issue is widespread, I have faith that they will do the same here to resolve the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Friendly Meeple
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
I honestly find very hard to understand these kinda rants.

Rant? It's a story of my experience with the game. Judging from the majority of responses it seems it is against bgg policy to post an experience that isn't all Lollipops, Unicorns and Rainbows.

I was excited after 2 days of no tracking updates to find out it was being delivered. I had a new game that is supposed to be very good and I was looking forward to playing it. The very first card in the very first pack I opened was cracked in the corner.

Is it the end of the world? No.

Do I have better things to worry about? Yes

Was I a little disappointed? Yes

I bought 300 Fantasy Flight standard clear sleeves which I thought would take care of the issue.

Until I got to card 14. Now, 14 cards into my experience with the game, I come across a card damaged on the back to significantly mark it to be distinguishable from the rest.

Is it earth shattering? No

Will I live? Yes

Was I a little more disappointed? Yes

I reasoned that it was a starter card so you would know it was in the deck anyway, and thought that as soon as someone upgraded or culled a Trusted Follower it could just be swapped out. Before sleeving any further though, I went through the rest of the cards. That is when I found the other damaged and scratched cards and realized the clear sleeves I bought weren't going to work out. I have some Ultra Pro colored backed sleeves but they have the issue with the hologram, so back into the box everything went and on to the shelf it went until I can get 300 more colored back sleeves without the hologram.

Is it a major life threatening catastrophe? No

Is the sun going to come out tomorrow? Yes

Was I a little fed up and disgusted with the whole experience so far? Yes
PEdorido wrote:
Disgust? C'mon...

ummmm, yeah. I had a problem with a card, thought I had solved the problem, and found out the problem is worse and have to fix it again.

PEdorido wrote:
Production or print errors can happen to any game. Just contact the publisher and I'm 100% sure they'll replace your faulty parts.

Ranting and posting this kind of stuff won't get your stuff fixed or replaced.

What part of buying sleeves twice makes you think I want the cards fixed or replaced. I even said later that it wouldn't be easy to replace the 31 cards. Another, more useful poster, also not ranting, said they are sending him a whole new set of cards, but I don't know if that is because they are sending missing parts also. My game isn't missing anything and is playable once the cards are sleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really understand most of your problem. Sleeving? That's a problem that's is no one else's but yours, as you don't need to sleeve the game to play it (even if all the cards were in perfect condition). If they get you a new deck, why do you need to buy sleeves? Can't you use the same ones and throw the faulty cards in the trash?

Anyway, believe me, I didn't mean to diminish your frustration or bad experience with the game and I really hope you get your stuff sorted.

I just got my game today, but I haven't checked the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest contacting them via their support email, as this is something where they will send you another set of cards. In addition they need to be made aware of this in case it is a widespread production issue, and if people don't tell them, they won't know how far the problem goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine today and checked the cards for this problem.

Yes, there are tool marks on the backs of a lot of cards. These include vertical lines, pin-pricks, and others. Are they obvious? No, they're in the gloss layer and you have to tilt it in the light to see them. Should they affect gameplay? I wouldn't think so, unless you're playing with Rain Man and an photographic memory.

I will have no problem sleeving these in clear sleeves. But I will sleeve, because of that gloss layer.

I agree with OP that there is an issue, but there was a little hyperbole involved too. I am disappointed that the game wasn't 100% perfect, but I'm not "disgusted". More power to you if you were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Friendly Meeple
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

Yes, there are tool marks on the backs of a lot of cards. These include vertical lines, pin-pricks, and others. Are they obvious? No, they're in the gloss layer and you have to tilt it in the light to see them. Should they affect gameplay? I wouldn't think so, unless you're playing with Rain Man and an photographic memory.

I will have no problem sleeving these in clear sleeves. But I will sleeve, because of that gloss layer.

I agree with OP that there is an issue, but there was a little hyperbole involved too. I am disappointed that the game wasn't 100% perfect, but I'm not "disgusted". More power to you if you were.

Woah, calm down there buddy, no need to rant. whistle I'm glad your day went better than mine did. I found a damaged card, bought some clear sleeves for it, found 30 more damaged cards bad enough to want to sleeve them in a colored back sleeve, have some colored backed sleeves but they won't work, so packed the game up until I get some sleeves that will work tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a quality assurance issue with the factory. I completely understand your dissatisfaction and think your reaction is perfectly understandable. As others have said, I'm sure you can ask the publisher for replacements. If enough complaints come in, I'm sure that they will hesitate to use that factory in the future. Or they could just pull a Wizkids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

Do any of your card fronts have the "cracking" in the corners where the paper starts to flake off? Almost all mine had that they have submitted for a new set of cards for me though, so hopefully it's not widespread and just part of an isolated batch or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherlock Holmes
msg tools
mb
scottatlaw wrote:
I completely understand your dissatisfaction and think your reaction is perfectly understandable.

+1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

Do any of your card fronts have the "cracking" in the corners where the paper starts to flake off? Almost all mine had that they have submitted for a new set of cards for me though, so hopefully it's not widespread and just part of an isolated batch or something.

I'll have to go back through them. TBH, I was only checking the backs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

I'll have to go back through them. TBH, I was only checking the backs.

Ah ok, I had an issue with mine, see below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That corner card cracking and even slight peeling is happening to me too, after only one play.

Please let me know if the replacement cards are better, as I may need to contact customer support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not get issues with corners, but I have that 14th card issue (other scratches are really visible only at angle in light, they're of zero importance). But what bad I got, pictures on backs of cards are mostly off center - some half cards a bit to the top, another half to the bottom, and some half to the left and another half to the right (in between some cards properly in center). Most funny is the Steadfast Conscript, number 1 - picture is rotated a bit at an angle, looks very poorly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël Garcin
France
Saint Ouen
Seine Saint Denis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the exact same thing. Sleeved the game and will play it. But kinda disappointed with the quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steadfast Conscript #163 also significantly rotated, Blood Hammer #69 (not sure of second digit) has same marks as card #14. Some more cards slightly rotated.
Update from my previous post, I was looking at some cards upside down, turns out that bigger part of backgrounds are shifted to the left, not roughly equally as I wrote initially.
Using opaque sleeves is a poor option. Never needed to use such in my life and hope will not as that hides beauty of the game (and this game IS beautiful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
johnnyspys wrote:

I'm sure he will.
He was just making people aware, there's nothing wrong with that.
And as I can see it was not an isolated case.
Some of us expect and demand quality for the money paid, and are not happy to go through the hassle of months-long replacement processes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally collected a list of issues I have sent to Travis, pasted mostly unmodified below. I wonder how many of those issues everyone else is having. Most annoying thing is amount of time I wasted doing all that, time is money and I somewhere already paid double for the game by now. There is enough issues to request all cards replaced at once, however Travis is asking for photos of each affected item one by one. Not sure if those mostly big photos will be enough for them.

Card photos uploaded here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NNCE7UYzn6P8Fyu-G0oS6jw40Q..., card numbers below. In detail:
Photos 01-03 show 59 cards with angle rotated backs - some more than others, like top left card, those all are which did catch my eye - there were few more very slightly rotated and not very noticeable.
Two cards with already officially swapped text at top right.
Photos 04-06 from last column of cards show three cards with dot patterns. Some of angle rotated cards do contain the same issue.
Photo 07 - one of angle rotated cards also has missing part of glossy finish.
Photo 08 - as I was looking through cards again and this time looking not only at borders, noticed more issues. This photo shows two more cards - one with smaller size pattern like photos 04-06, and another strangely damaged card, something like it would had been strongly pressed from the front side. Also noticed a significant amount of other cards with less pronounced patterns in different places, which are not so obviously seen - these not included here.
Photos 09-11 - cards with especially pronounced circle patterns. There were some four more cards with circle patterns, less pronounced and not obviously seen so did not include these.
Photos 12-14 - fronts of all cards I talked above.
There is also a significant amount of cards which do have horizontal scratches going through whole card from top to bottom, but those are again not obviously seen so did not include these.
And list of cards.
1, 42, 97, 104, 108, 121, 248, 227, 77, 70, 220, P01;
134, 161, 222, 226, 228, 241, 234, 163, 92, 7?(blood hammer, impossible to read second digit), 213, P07;
167, 169, 170, 180, 182, 187, 29, 30, 105, 106, 14, 177;
164, 162, 160, 23, 221, 188, 28, 190, 52, 107, 179, 174;
109, 110, 112, 72, 118, 119, 122, 123, 124, 16, 233, 64;
15, 132, 9, 68, 8, 152, 200, 207, 199.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J K well done on that list, and I'm sure Travis wants to see them so he can see about how they exactly need to be corrected. There were some issue with Aeon's End as well, and when they made the expansion, they offered all owners of the first edition a free set of the new style/quality cards with the updated art they were doing as well. If this issue ends up widespread like it did with AE, I can see this happening again and Travis wanting to go to their manufacturer with detailed info on the mistakes that were made. I know they don't want to do wrong by their customers, and I trust this will get resolved, albeit potentially a little ways down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.