Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Cynical Marketing

The rich lore of Lord of the Rings trilogy is ideal material for fun and challenging games, as the many excellent game adaptations of the Middle Earth world and the Lord of the Rings story prove: most notably the rich and subtle cooperative game by Reiner Knizia (one of the best games available on any topic) and the much simpler but still quite deep 2-player Stratego-like Confrontation game (also by Reiner Knizia), both of which, in addition to being excellent games in their own right, are also superbly 'themed': the Lord of the Rings feel and atmosphere comes through during play and one really feels involved in an adventure in Middle Earth. (The 'children's game', again by Knizia, is also worth a look for kids under 8.)

But Monopoly? Mt. Doom as real estate? This is just 'theming' to make a buck. Monopoly collectors will probably love this game, but if you want a Lord of the Rings game try some of those just mentioned instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I disagree.

My family gave this to me for Christmas. I played it with my kids (ages 6,9) We had played Jr. Monopoly previously, so this was our first Monopoly experience. I was able to get my kids excited about literature and explain parts of the LOL story. They learned about good and evil and the power of the ring. My son kept saying I want teh ring! I explained the power of the ring and why it was evil. We played for two days, off and on, and my son (6) won after we counted our assets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.