Per Glöde
Sweden
Svi-tjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an early thread comment "Re: Semi-cooperative games: what you think about them?" I made a reflexion regarding the apparent semi co-op style of this Catan-BotW game, albeit I was clearly saying that there is no shared victory condition and no explicit collective goal to keep the Wildings away from the wall. How does this fit on the resulting game play? Does the players feel as a Brotherhood that cooperatively guards the Wall? And if the wall is breached, does the win go to the player who most actively tried to stop the breach?

I think the two different ways to win makes it an interesting game. I repeat: I know there is no shared victory, it is a 100% competitive game, not a co-op. I still hope it is a semi co-op padded with a secondary "hollow" victory condition to stop "semi co-op tanking" anti-thematic tactics, a very clever dilemma design. If it is, I will buy it.

How often does the game end in either of the two ways? Did you feel as a Brotherhood afterwards? Did the Wildings breach? How often does the winner play selfishly, not contributing to manning the wall at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, for the player with the most guardians to win you need to orchestrate three breaches, while still having the majority of the guards. That means reinforcing safe sectors of the wall leaving problematic sectors largely unmanned. And then you need to build up the gift in order to attract enough wildlings, meaning you might become eligible for normal victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svi-tjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds promising. What I want to know is:
If a player deliberately plays in a way so that the game ends at breach number 3 and win condition 2, is it easy for the other players to spot this in advance and make sure he (the "tanking" player) is not winning? Will the other players have time to react, manning the walls more than him?
I don't own the game, so I can not find this out by trying.
If the win condition 2 is designed like this, as I assume, I like it! It would lead to a very thematic play where the players have to co-operate, albeit it is a 100% competitive game.

If you obviously prepare for a win at breach 3 by win condition 2, and the others do not spot it and don't man the wall, you are of course a worthy winner. I only hope the rules makes it easy to stop such a "tanking" play style if it is discovered, by simply manning the wall more than you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lego lascott
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night. The wall took an early breach and my positioning on the board was looking grim for a normal win so I did my best to throw as many guards up as possible but left some sections of the wall vulnerable. The other players recognized this too late and I spent my last 2 turns building keeps to further advance the wildling spawns. It was just a matter of time before the wildling die pushed that 3rd breach.

Going forward I expect my game group to better recognize a breach victory and put more guards up themselves to ensure the better likelihood of a normal victory via 10 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Kindl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We played for our first time last night and we had some confusion around the wildling aspect of the game. Curious if anyone had answers around wildling movement from the Frostfangs to the camp and progress toward the wall. Some sections of the directions imply that you place a wildling on the camp icon and once a number indicating a path, you then place them on the brightest camp fire. If it is rolled again they enter the clearing. Other sections of the directions indicate that movement from the Frostfangs goes straight to the brightest fire. We just want to get it right.

Also, if you have multiple wildlings breach the wall and place them on the corresponding hex's in the downward left pattern then start back from the top and double up (max 2 wildlings per hex) would you then need two actions to remove them? One each? Either a ranger or hero ability?

I also saw a few youtube videos where guys were actually removing the wall from the board if a giant breached an unoccupied section. Didn't see that anywhere in the rules but was curious.

Thanks! Happy gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lego lascott
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Regarding wildling placement, they start on the camp with the brightest fire. From the rules reference:
Quote:
“When you reveal a wildling token, a wildling migrates from the Frostfangs to the clan area specified on the token. Place the wildling figure in the unoccupied camp with the hottest fire (i.e., camp depicted by the largest flames). A wildling leaves a camp when it advances from its clan area to the Wall. If there are multiple wildlings in that clan area, the wildling at the camp with the hottest fire pit advances. Any other wildlings in that clan area (from hottest to coldest) fill in the unoccupied camps.”

2) My understanding is that (hasn’t happened to me yet) you would need two actions to eliminate two wildlings from a hex.

3) There is nothing in the rules about removing a piece of the wall. But you do remove the oldest guard on that section of the wall (position 1) when it is breached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Kindl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Also If a Giant is at the wall and a group of regular wildlings are in the clearing, you would remove the oldest guard (one for one swap) and the rest of the wildlings breach. Would you remove an additional guard for the breach or would the rest just shift over and remain on the wall?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lego lascott
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kkindl wrote:
Also If a Giant is at the wall and a group of regular wildlings are in the clearing, you would remove the oldest guard (one for one swap) and the rest of the wildlings breach. Would you remove an additional guard for the breach or would the rest just shift over and remain on the wall?

Thanks for the help!

There's an example of this on p.age 14 of the rules reference. The Giant removes itself and the guard in space 1 from the wall. Then if there's fewer guards than wildlings in the clearing a breach occurs. You remove the new guard in position 1 and proceed to move the wildlings into the hexes below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.