Hide
11 Posts

Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Number of cards in starter decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shayne Hull
msg tools
Just got my copy of the new L5R and am going through the Setup. From what I can tell, the suggested setup for the Crane and Lion decks (page 6) results in a dynasty deck of 22 cards and a conflict deck of 24 cards, plus a stronghold and 5 provinces. These seems like random numbers. The two decks (dynasty and conflict) don’t match in number of cards and they don’t add up to a nice number (I’d expect the number of cards in a deck to be more like 30).

Have I read the rulebook correctly? Is this just for the starter game?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what you get with one core, yes. You can't make tournament-legal decks out of one box. The different clans also have different counts of dynasty cards (and possibly conflict cards) because reasons.

With two cores and at least some of the dynasty packs released so far I think you'll get enough cards that you have to choose which 40 to put in each deck. There's a decent number of neutral cards that it gets you over the limit, and some are auto-includes for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need three core sets to have playsets of all cards and make a free choice about a legal deck.

And then if you want you need one pack each for a single player and two packs if you want to have two playsets of the neutrals (but they are 1 or 2 each pack so it's not that worth it).

If you don't play the same clan and don't want to splash the same clan you can make legal decks for two with three core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
You read correctly. This is simply to get you on your feet, they aren’t even the technical “starter decks” of 30 cards apiece. With one core you can make 2 suboptimal decks of 30/30 cards (what is recommended for starter “non-tournament” decks). The “starter” decks as constructed by FFG (found under “tournament resources” on their website) actually require one core per player, as they all pretty much use some overlapping cards.

I will also say, this game is not great with one box. I know it’s very frustrating. There is a fantastic game hiding in there, but unfortunately it requires more of an investment to really see that than it first appears. I think you can get a hint of the game’s potential with 2 cores, but 3 is ideal as others have said above. For casual play, 3 is all you need for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, having a few LCGs (as my profile reveals) I was prepared. But this game really does have the worst possible one-box experience relative to every other LCG. The influence gets eaten so quickly, and dynasty cards can't splash in a different clan.

Starting already at two cores it's like early xmas if you've tried making use of just one - as long as you're making a single pair of decks for yourself. This should be sufficient for the casual nights like the ones my FLGS started though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
Thanks everyone. That clears it up. I really don’t want to buy another core set. Would it be possible to make descent decks using the Dynasty packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hullstar wrote:
Thanks everyone. That clears it up. I really don’t want to buy another core set. Would it be possible to make descent decks using the Dynasty packs?

After a while, yes. Right now, I'm not so sure. You could probably build 'legal' decks, but there wouldn't be a ton of variety in them.
I certainly think 2 cores plus the first 6 packs will be ok.

While it's frustrating that multiple cores are optimal, I do think they did a pretty good job in minimizing waste with the card options compared to some of the other LCG releases. 3 cores will have a very small fraction of overlapping/redundant cards. You will have 2-3 play sets of all neutrals (good for building mutliple decks), and 3 of each clan card. You will have extra tokens, role cards, and strongholds but I'm just saving those as back ups for now, or for proxy backing if I want to print out additional copies of something that I use a lot of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waste with two cores:
- 1 manual
- crapload of honour/fate tokens
- 1 first player token
- 1 imperial favour card
- 2 honour dials
- 2 phase sequence/ring effect overview cards
- 5 ring tokens (awful coasters!)
- 7 faction stronghold cards
- 7 faction provinces (possibly - roles can allow two)
- 20 status tokens

Not wasted:
- ~225 dynasty/conflict cards

For three cores double the above (wasted) numbers and add 6 role cards. Since they’re double-sided you may very well end up making demo decks for two players which use different sides of the same card.

All neutrals which come in threes per set may also be considered waste in the third core.

Three cores net you ~675 dynasty/conflict cards, which is still a better price per card than dynasty packs have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep... Three cores is the best option. So this is actually one of the best LCG in that that there are so few wasted cards!
Two is almost enough though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holt
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is one core set plus add on packs good enough for casual play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deckard31 wrote:
Is one core set plus add on packs good enough for casual play?

Probably not, at least not yet. The Dynasty decks will be very constrained, even if you're only making one deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.