Onirim (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: making the hand up to five - app vs card game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a rules question about making the hand back up to 5 after discarding the hand. My understanding of the rules is that every door and nightmare card should go into limbo until 5 labyrinth cards are drawn, then they are shuffled back into the deck and play proceeds. However, in the app, nightmare cards are allowed to capture my hand if it's the fifth card drawn, and sometimes if it's the fourth or third (I've never had the app try to take my hand if the nightmare card is drawn first or second on a refill).

So, is this a flaw with the app, or do I misunderstand the rules when playing the card game? I see how it could be advantageous to allow the nightmare card to take my hand if there's only 2 or 3 cards in it -- I get rid of a nightmare card and lose only 2 or 3 cards doing it. But I'm just wondering which is the 'right' way.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
You're misunderstanding the rules. You only set aside nightmares when you're refilling to 5 from a completely empty hand (after discarding your hand to resolve a nightmare). If you're just drawing a couple of cards, e.g. After playing a key to gain a door, then nightmares will still occur. It can indeed be nice to resolve them by discarding a smaller than usual hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
You're misunderstanding the rules. You only set aside nightmares when you're refilling to 5 from a completely empty hand (after discarding your hand to resolve a nightmare). If you're just drawing a couple of cards, e.g. After playing a key to gain a door, then nightmares will still occur. It can indeed be nice to resolve them by discarding a smaller than usual hand.

That's the situation I'm talking about -- refilling my hand after discarding my entire hand. I'll watch the app carefully today and make sure I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing. Sometimes I go too fast on the app! Thanks for answering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the app a bunch and am certain it gets it right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it definitely does. I have added the expansions to my app as well just last night. It's such a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qumad Al-Riyf
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:

Obviously not what this thread was about, but this was what I was comming here to ask.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.