Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I already have Agricola, Caverna, Glass Road, Ora & Labora, Loyang, Le Havre, and the 2p versions of some of these. So the question is will this game give me anything I don't already have in those other games? Seriously tempted to get it but worried that it'll be too similar to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Correia
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always get it for collection purposes.
All of Uwe's big box games side by side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Bunzel
Germany
Düsseldorf
North-Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Yes, as a Uwe Geek, it is almost a no-brainer. But seriously, it is a great thematic game (imo) and if you love all of uwes Games, you wont be disappointed with Nusfjord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dupeux
France
LABASTIDETTE
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Try A feast for Odin too, you won't be disappointed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played Loyang and Glass Road (but read the rules), but can relate very good to the other games so lets see:

Main similarities:
- Action selection is very similar to Agricola. Main difference is the constant of 3 actions per round - no family growth. Also there is a mechanism that "softens" the blocking of actions.
- Tableau building is comparable with Ora et labora with building spaces being blocked by forests. Though the puzzle element of neighbouring buildings is not existant.
- Building selection is also comparable to Ora et labora. A set of unique buildings which is restocked at fixed patterns. While Ora has two slightly different settings Nusfjord features 3 complete different sets of buildings. Also in Nusfjord you will draw only a certain number of buildings, while in Ora all are availiable.
- Elders could probably best be compared to Special Buildings in Le Havre or Big acquisition in Agricola: A fixed set of unique for all players availiable Characters.
- Fixed length as in Agricola

So what are the main differences?
- Other than most titles there is little to no recourse conversion in Nusfjord. You pay your stuff in Gold, fish and wood. You don't process those things
- You have shares of your own enterprise. You want to issue those for VP-Means. Do it early in the game for money boost but pay interest (fish) each round or late for keeping your fish.
- For activation of the elders you need to use a limited "availiable for all resource" (the filled plates).
- Managing your income: If you get lots you have to put some in reserve which you cannot freely acces (only via action or specials from buildings / elders)
- Duration: I got the feeling that Nusfjord is shorter than Agricola, Ora and Le Havre.

Hope this helps to make up your mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
TermiGator wrote:
I never played Loyang and Glass Road (but read the rules), but can relate very good to the other games so lets see:

Main similarities:
- Action selection is very similar to Agricola. Main difference is the constant of 3 actions per round - no family growth. Also there is a mechanism that "softens" the blocking of actions.
- Tableau building is comparable with Ora et labora with building spaces being blocked by forests. Though the puzzle element of neighbouring buildings is not existant.
- Building selection is also comparable to Ora et labora. A set of unique buildings which is restocked at fixed patterns. While Ora has two slightly different settings Nusfjord features 3 complete different sets of buildings. Also in Nusfjord you will draw only a certain number of buildings, while in Ora all are availiable.
- Elders could probably best be compared to Special Buildings in Le Havre or Big acquisition in Agricola: A fixed set of unique for all players availiable Characters.
- Fixed length as in Agricola

So what are the main differences?
- Other than most titles there is little to no recourse conversion in Nusfjord. You pay your stuff in Gold, fish and wood. You don't process those things
- You have shares of your own enterprise. You want to issue those for VP-Means. Do it early in the game for money boost but pay interest (fish) each round or late for keeping your fish.
- For activation of the elders you need to use a limited "availiable for all resource" (the filled plates).
- Managing your income: If you get lots you have to put some in reserve which you cannot freely acces (only via action or specials from buildings / elders)
- Duration: I got the feeling that Nusfjord is shorter than Agricola, Ora and Le Havre.

Hope this helps to make up your mind!

That's brilliant, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are my comments on Nusfjord, which I think offers a unique play experience considering Uwe's other games. There are going to be some similarities, but Nusfjord feels as fresh as Feast for Odin (another Uwe I'd highly recommend checking out):

It took me a couple of plays to warm up to Nusfjord, but Uwe has managed to design another excellent quick, mid-weight Euro (Glass Road being the other). While Nusfjord isn't difficult per se, there are a few new mechanics that took a few plays to wrap my mind around. The addition of stocks, elders (which function as personal worker placement spots) and the banquet table (a communal board where fish are placed and then use to hire/activate elders) help separate Nusfjord from Uwe's other games. In Nusfjord you are only managing three resources: fish, wood and gold (which is scarce) making it a more streamlined gaming experience. Wood comes from managing your forests, while fish comes from building fishing vessels (which are also worth some VP).

I've read other folks making comparisons to Glass Road and while there are a few similarities, both games play out completely differently. They are similar in terms of weight and game length (around 45 - 60 minutes). The other major similarity is your player board where you manage forests, boats and buildings. Buildings provide in game abilities and may be worth VP. Later in the game you will be able to build new buildings which will provide end game scoring opportunities. There are three separate decks of buildings which will add a lot of variety to the game. Similar to Uwe's other games, Nusfjord scales quite well. The 2p game is just as tense as playing with 4 or 5. So far I've enjoyed playing with 2, 4 and 5 players. The 5p game definitely makes the game go long, but despite the downtime I still enjoyed it. I'd say the sweet spot is between 2 - 4 players.

Nusfjord may be lighter than a lot of Uwe's recent games, but it is definitely one of the most cut throat. You will constantly be fighting with your opponent(s) over spaces you want to send your workers, which forces you to readjust your plans based on the actions available to you. While elders may help with this there will not always be fish on the banquet table for you to use. In the 4th round you will also get buildings only you can build until the beginning of the 6th round when they become available for everyone to build. I enjoy this kind of interaction/blocking in games precisely because it forces you to be adaptable and flexible with your strategy, but there will definitely be some folks who will not like this. I am looking forward to many more plays of Nusfjord and I'm extremely happy to have another 45 - 60 minute Uwe game to play with my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:

I've read other folks making comparisons to Glass Road

Papa.. Ninja (did you really just get me to call you Papa Ninja? ) -->

Quick question as I'm torn on a purchase:

I dig Glass Road but found the variety in buildings illusionary (most were slight tweaks of each other), and the length prohibitive of really getting an engine going. You might get a combo of building set-up before the end, but you'd likely get just a single use or two.

Is Nusfjord similar in these respects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played glass road. The game is very short, so you will only have a few turns to make use of the engine, usually with only the chance to buy on average 1 building per turn (if that). However buildings push you to very different strategies and interesting combos, and since they are always active once built it is pretty fun finding those combos. You balance your buildings between ones that net you points for having a certain layout, and ones that you will hopefully trigger one or two times for big gains.

A net of 4 or 5 points is a big gain if you trigger it once, if you can trigger it 2 or 3 times it's huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saluk wrote:
I haven't played glass road. The game is very short, so you will only have a few turns to make use of the engine, usually with only the chance to buy on average 1 building per turn (if that).

Sounds like you have played Glass Road.

Anyhoo, thanks for that. Helps clear things up for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Habelitz
Germany
Zweibrücken
Reinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoduxx wrote:
Try A feast for Odin too, you won't be disappointed!

Only if you think this is very different to Le Havre or Ora Et Labora... I played all three and own the last one and this is enough. Those three are pretty much the same game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm struggling with getting Nusfjord. I heard you can pretty much do all you want when you want and there is little player-interaction; its another 'puzzle' game. (DT review)

I have FfO but have hestitated playing it b/c of these issues too. Its hard not to buy an UWE game though!

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
I'm struggling with getting Nusfjord. I heard you can pretty much do all you want when you want and there is little player-interaction; its another 'puzzle' game. (DT review)

I have FfO but have hestitated playing it b/c of these issues too. Its hard not to buy an UWE game though!

devil

Played it 2P yesterday and in our case, we definitely could not do everything we wanted to do, there was lots of blocking and a few times my partner messed up what I wanted to do or vice versa.

I'd check out Rhado's final thoughts as it's a good run down. Tom does not like tense/tight games IMO, he prefers Caverna to Agricola and Nusfjord is more Agricola like IMO. Rhado and Jen really liked it a lot *except* neither liked that C buildings came out mid game, as a result, they got rid of it. I personally did not mind it. I wonder if he had bad luck? As he stated that the four he got did not help him at all but helped Jen's engine a lot and the 4 she got also helped her too. In our game we both got buildings that would work for ourselves or each other.

I own - Caverna, Loyang, ACBAS, Cave vs Cave, Patchwork and sold - Feast for Odin, Glass Road (without playing it, sat on the shelf forever and I did a big clean out and it was added to the pile) and Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Papa Ninja wrote:

I've read other folks making comparisons to Glass Road

Papa.. Ninja (did you really just get me to call you Papa Ninja? ) -->

Quick question as I'm torn on a purchase:

I dig Glass Road but found the variety in buildings illusionary (most were slight tweaks of each other), and the length prohibitive of really getting an engine going. You might get a combo of building set-up before the end, but you'd likely get just a single use or two.

Is Nusfjord similar in these respects?

Ha (I'd be willing to pay $ to change my handle, but that's another story).

Sorry, I missed the notification from this thread. In explaining the game it sounds like the buildings would be similar to GR, but the big difference is you are only managing 3 resources and there is very little conversion if any. In the case of GR a lot of the buildings helped convert x resource into y, whereas in Nusfjord the buildings tend to either be worth VP, or enhance the worker placement actions. I've found that Nusfjord plays much differently Han GR and even thou both have buildings those buildings don't function the same. It's also possible to only build a few buildings and come at the game from a different direction, focusing on other VP generating opportunities.

I also find folks complaints about the C buildings to be knee jerk, I wonder how many games they've played. There is a great thread where folks come down on both sides of the argument. I've found that after playing a few times the disparity folks talk about isn't there and C buildings aren't the key to victory; there are other patches to explore. In your first couple of games stocks tend to be undervalued.

As others noted this is much more tight, similar to Agricola, in regards to blocking as opposed to Uwe's more recent designs. Personally I think it's different enough to be worth owning. Keep in mi d that I am a huge fan of Uwe though and own all his heavier games with the exception of Merkator.

Cheers and hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.