Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm playing a four player game a week on Saturday so have decided to bling out my copy of Spartacus for this session. I've got a gladiator helmet and sword for the winner's photo opportunity, the official gold tokens upgrade, a treasure chest to keep it all in, etc.

I know it states in the rules that gold is only hidden during the blind-bidding section of the Market phase, but my question is:

Is there any reason why gold couldn't be kept secret throughout the game?
It certainly would make for more interesting Market phases if you had no idea how much gold another house had at its disposal to use for bidding. Plus I have some cool leather money pouches I also want to use! :-)

Or is there a gameplay reason as to why gold has to be on display - except during blind bidding - that I'm missing?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing how much gold your opponents have during the rest of the game is useful for judging how much to bid in the blind bidding section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United Kingdom
Scunthorpe
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Superted...yes I even have a costume.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul - where did you get the official gold tokens from? I've been looking for them for an age!

I've played before with hidden money and generally I found people were close enough with keeping tracks on players and there gold amounts anyway. The only thing I can see it really effecting is scheme cards to steal money. Sometimes you could play them and the play may not have the money to give you - I would not mind this to be honest players should play better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I figured it's about knowing how much to blind bid but then that's not really a blind bid is it?

I think it should truly be blind bidding. i.e. You have no idea how much you're opponents may or may not bid! :-)

I can't see any rules that would break if I implemented this - and use the leather pouches of course!

@ Bruce. It took me literally ages to track some down, but look what I found!

https://www.gamesquest.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=spartac...=

:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there a scheme that targets players with no money?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I think there might be...

How about Gold is visible as normal in Upkeep and Intrigue phases, but is hidden during Market and Arena phases?

I want to use my money pouches dammit! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game doesn't really work always hidden, too much extra for other players to track. Much easier to play as it should be. No harm in leaving it hidden during the arena phase and only revealing gold during intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has got me thinking though...

If I remove the two 'Destitute' Intrigue cards from play - as they are the only two cards that are played on opponents that state a specific amount of gold as a condition i.e. none, then other than it being difficult to track opponents gold totals, I can't see any other gameplay effect from gold not being visible.

It has no direct bearing on influence gained or lost and during the blind bidding of the Market phase, I think it would be more exciting not knowing exactly how much gold your opponents have in their coffers.

It stops that "I know you've all only got 2 gold or less, so I'll just bid three" situation.

I realise this is now entering variant territory, but would love to hear some opinions on this.

And at last, I can use my nice leather money pouches!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try it. Especially to get to use the leather bags...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khula wrote:
This has got me thinking though...

If I remove the two 'Destitute' Intrigue cards from play - as they are the only two cards that are played on opponents that state a specific amount of gold as a condition i.e. none, then other than it being difficult to track opponents gold totals, I can't see any other gameplay effect from gold not being visible.

It has no direct bearing on influence gained or lost and during the blind bidding of the Market phase, I think it would be more exciting not knowing exactly how much gold your opponents have in their coffers.

It stops that "I know you've all only got 2 gold or less, so I'll just bid three" situation.

I realise this is now entering variant territory, but would love to hear some opinions on this.

And at last, I can use my nice leather money pouches!

Well, during Intrigue phase you might want to know how much gold other players have. It could help you determine who to negotiate lending influence to play your schemes. You don't want to give the person with the most gold more gold as incentive to support your scheme, or you're kind of broke and you'll gladly support someone else's scheme for some coins and then they end up having none to give you anyway.

Of course negotiations don't have to be honored regardless, but I think keeping gold hidden seems to just make the game more fiddly. It's great as it stands, I wouldn't change it, but to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah! Excellent points!

Now I'm torn between hiding gold and playing rules as written

I've got one week to decide. I think I'm leaning towards rules as written now and using the fabled leather money pouches for RPG type games I own (Gloomhaven, Folklore etc.) or maybe even for games where money is hidden such as Cadwallon.

This is not helping guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United Kingdom
Scunthorpe
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Superted...yes I even have a costume.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link Paul!

£25 is steep - I'd rather pay £30-£35 and just get some decent metal alternatives!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim large
United States
Texas
flag msg tools

@ Bruce. It took me literally ages to track some down, but look what I found!

https://www.gamesquest.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=spartac...=

:-)[/q]

Nice call on this website, they have the playmat as well. Unfotunantly Ive gotten this game way too late and everything is no longer available. I found the Shadow of Death expansion on amazon. Anyone know where I can find the Serpants and The Wolf expansion? I do no have high hopes, but I figured i'd ask.

Ps, first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.