Subject: Group member not interessted in story, is that an issue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rune m
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
Hi,

How important is the story for Gloomhaven?
At least one member of my group don't care much for the story, but loves character progression, card games with drafting and combos, and RPG's like Diablo and WoW.

Have you played with a similar player? How did they enjoy Gloomhaven?

Also I saw the suggested number of players was 3, has anyone played it with 4 and how does it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
95% of the game is tactical hex combat using cardplay and combos. The other 5% is outside of that, reading an event card or two and buying/selling gear and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krosh wrote:
Hi,

How important is the story for Gloomhaven?
At least one member of my group don't care much for the story, but loves character progression, card games with drafting and combos, and RPG's like Diablo and WoW.

Have you played with a similar player? How did they enjoy Gloomhaven?

Also I saw the suggested number of players was 3, has anyone played it with 4 and how does it work?

It's not really a suggested number, the best number according to votes, every game has that, and it can be only one number. There are many people play with 1 player and having fun. 4 is going to work just fine, might be slightly longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are now just reading the city/road events and not engaging, as it were, the story of each scene. I say that it is not a big deal. Not reading the text on the events and making a group decision, I think, will detract a bit. You turn it into a random decision.

As far as playing with 4, as mentioned, it will run long. If the group is OK with this then you will be fine. If not, you might tank the whole experience and lose more in the group. No AP allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Playing with four works great, you get the ideal level of synergies between characters. It'll run a little longer than three, but when we've played with three it didn't make that much of a difference as a fraction of overall length. (We do tend to play a bit slowly in general.)

It sounds like your friend will really enjoy the game. The story is nice, but it's not the main point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:
We are now just reading the city/road events and not engaging, as it were, the story of each scene. I say that it is not a big deal. Not reading the text on the events and making a group decision, I think, will detract a bit. You turn it into a random decision.

As far as playing with 4, as mentioned, it will run long. If the group is OK with this then you will be fine. If not, you might tank the whole experience and lose more in the group. No AP allowed.

I don't think randomly picking which choice to make would work, if for no other reason than the fact that most groups will want to get extremely high or extremely low reputations for unlocks, and most of the reputation you get or lose comes from the decisions you make based off of story text.

As others have said, while the story provides a nice backdrop, each time you 'read the story text' it takes less than a minute to do so. 90% of the gametime is tactical combat. And another 8% is setup/buying stuff/levelling up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn’t be any problem. It even works as a character choice (“I don’t care where we go, just put a sword in my hand, point me at who to kill, and pay me afterwards”). It’s not like the story stuff takes up much time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not particularly interested in the story, and I've put in about 250 hours...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you download the scenario book as a pdf? Players interested in the story could read the intro to the next mission prior to playing the game.

My game group meets at our local game store and we will soon begin our foray into Gloomhaven. Our plan is to minimize the parts necessary to play at each get together so I don't have to haul that monster box with me each time. I'm going to prepare a "travel pack" that will contain the necessary cards, and then only include the map tiles and monster tokens, for the scenarios we are going to play. So for our first evening, I will have all the parts necessary to play mission one and two. After that, we will decide which scenario(s) to play next week. When I return home, I will update the travel pack. Between sessions, our players can read the mission intros on the pdf to prepare. We usually have some quick to play games on hand so that if our big game ends early, we have something fun to play afterwards. We actually played a full Descent campaign in this manner.

Alternatively, if only one player is not interested in the story but the rest of the players are interested, I would tell that player to "suck it up". He can always surf facebook on his phone while the rest of the players enjoy the story intro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:

Alternatively, if only one player is not interested in the story but the rest of the players are interested, I would tell that player to "suck it up". He can always surf facebook on his phone while the rest of the players enjoy the story intro

Or he can just, like sit there for the whole 30 seconds that it takes to read it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IvanAtom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
Can't you download the scenario book as a pdf? Players interested in the story could read the intro to the next mission prior to playing the game.

This. Unfortunately or not, but single scenario could be played for 2-3 hours. Thus it is hard to recover, what happen few games before.

This is main GH issue, at least for me, so far. Story is kind of falls apart.

Good Luck Brian with GH - it's amazing game.

Hartman Blitz, ThA Tinkerer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Biesiadowski
msg tools
krosh wrote:

Also I saw the suggested number of players was 3

If you click on that number, you will see

Best
1 23.0%
2 28.6%
3 54.6%
4 48.9%

Difference between 3 and 4 is neglible. I have played with 3 and 4 players and certainly prefer 4 players - more monsters means more possibilities for nice combos with powers. It doesn't take that much more time, as a lot of time is spend on:
- setup and teardown of scenario
- deliberating what actions to take next turn
- waiting for a friend to order a pizza through non-responsive mobile app
and actual action resolution is probably only 50% of overall scenario time and only that 50% will get increased by 33% when playing with 4 instead of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chronomodra wrote:
As others have said, while the story provides a nice backdrop, each time you 'read the story text' it takes less than a minute to do so. 90% of the gametime is tactical combat. And another 8% is setup/buying stuff/levelling up.
Yup, this one is 100% true!
I really like the story elements that are there, and I think they very much enhance the game (although the combat is very neat, I don't think I would want to play without the overarching story, and the story that my character is developing), but time-wise, they are really not a large part of the game.

It's no issue whatsoever for the rest of the group to engage in these, while the other player just twiddles their thumbs for a minute or two if they're not interested. Or they can go to the bathroom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.