PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb

This policy is retarded. The game in question wasn't a "pre-order" in October and it certainly isn't a "pre-order" now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Zelroy wrote:
This policy is retarded. The game in question wasn't a "pre-order" in October and it certainly isn't a "pre-order" now.

Am I missing something? If the page is not a pre-order page, then this is evidently a misunderstanding (if an admin thought that it was a pre-order page), and not the fault of a policy.

Why not simply resubmit the web link with a note that the web link you're submitting is not a pre-order page, to help clear up the confusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelroy wrote:

This policy is retarded.

the policy is being hindered or held back? huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelroy wrote:
This policy is

No. http://www.r-word.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time the policy was tarded. The second time it was retarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mock me all you want if that floats your boat.

Quote:
• Pre-Order/P500/Kickstarter/indiegogo/crowd funding sites : These have the same problems as retail/sale/commercial links, except that these additionally have the problem that these are not permanent links, and are only applicable up to the point the game does/does not go into print. Pre-order links can be added to the version that is being pre-ordered or crowdfunded, and if the start and end-dates of the project are entered, the link will appear in the Pre-Order field of the game header while the game is being funded.

So the admins take a fundamentalist approach to the "no crowdfunding links" policy and apparently apply it to every page that appears under P500. Regardless of any "pre-order" or whatever status.

Result: no official product page can be linked. Every GMT product today is a P500 product.

I guess that makes sense to you guys, but not to me. But hey, by all means, keep on joking. I'm done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelroy wrote:

Quote:
• Pre-Order/P500/Kickstarter/indiegogo/crowd funding sites : These have the same problems as retail/sale/commercial links, except that these additionally have the problem that these are not permanent links, and are only applicable up to the point the game does/does not go into print. Pre-order links can be added to the version that is being pre-ordered or crowdfunded, and if the start and end-dates of the project are entered, the link will appear in the Pre-Order field of the game header while the game is being funded.

So the admins take a fundamentalist approach to the "no crowdfunding links" policy and apparently apply it to every page that appears under P500. Regardless of any "pre-order" or whatever status.

Result: no official product page can be linked. Every GMT product today is a P500 product.

I guess that makes sense to you guys, but not to me. But hey, by all means, keep on joking. I'm done.

people red-x you and call you out for using an offensive word and your complaint is that we're mocking you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelroy wrote:

Quote:

Some are just unhappy with your choice of language. Your complaint may be valid, but it is being overshadowed by your lack of tact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
Zelroy wrote:

This policy is retarded.

Technically speaking, this does appear to be an accurate assessment of both what is occurring and the OP's complaint.

As far as I can tell, the intent of the policy is to make sure that:
Links to official web sites for published games are available on the BGG pages for those games (once they have been submitted by users).
Those links are not an end around on a different BGG policy regarding advertising (which, if the links are a to a crowd-funding page for a not yet published game, they would constitute advertising).

Because GMT Games starts P500 campaigns for already published games once they are no longer readily available, the official GMT web sites for games are also the P500 site for the same game.

This leads to the broken link that is currently displayed on the Dominant Species BGG page for the link to the official site. Based on the current BGG policy and the demonstrated rigid application of said policy, any attempt to submit the actual official site for Dominant Species would be rejected, because it is currently under a P500 campaign.

So yes, the strict adherence to the policy is preventing the policy from getting the information desired to be displayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Zelroy wrote:

This policy is retarded.

Technically speaking, this does appear to be an accurate assessment of both what is occurring and the OP's complaint.

As far as I can tell, the intent of the policy is to make sure that:
Links to official web sites for published games are available on the BGG pages for those games (once they have been submitted by users).
Those links are not an end around on a different BGG policy regarding advertising (which, if the links are a to a crowd-funding page for a not yet published game, they would constitute advertising).

Because GMT Games starts P500 campaigns for already published games once they are no longer readily available, the official GMT web sites for games are also the P500 site for the same game.

This leads to the broken link that is currently displayed on the Dominant Species BGG page for the link to the official site. Based on the current BGG policy and the demonstrated rigid application of said policy, any attempt to submit the actual official site for Dominant Species would be rejected, because it is currently under a P500 campaign.

So yes, the strict adherence to the policy is preventing the policy from getting the information desired to be displayed.

technically then, the policy is hindering links, the policy itself isn't being hindered. but of course, we both know, that wasn't the way the word was being used in either case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelroy wrote:
keep on joking. I'm done.

You're done making poorly articulated complaints, tossing around offensive language, and then claiming to be the victim? Awwwww! Say it ain't so!

I rate your complaint:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
technically then, the policy is hindering links, the policy itself isn't being hindered.
If the policy is in place to ensure the most useful reference information is available on the BGG pages for games (as opposed to propaganda/advertising, broken links, etc.), then the policy is, in fact, hindering itself (it's purpose).

DragonsDream wrote:
but of course, we both know, that wasn't the way the word was being used in either case
This appears to be one of the cases where the original meaning of the word overlaps with the bastardized usage of the word, which seems to be what generated the bastardized usage in the first place.

It's true that "counter-productive" or "self-defeating" could have been used instead.

It also seems true that at least some portion of the purpose of the post was to vent and express frustration, and perhaps even anger.

Both those concepts are captured rather efficiently in a single word, however poor any additional implications might be.

Given that the vast majority of the discussion has been regarding a word used and not about the policy in question, it seems that in describing this thread itself all this could be used as well:
Quote:
It's true that "counter-productive" or "self-defeating" could have been used instead.

It also seems true that at least some portion of the purpose of the post was to vent and express frustration, and perhaps even anger.

Both those concepts are captured rather efficiently in a single word, however poor any additional implications might be.

On a side note (and it's possible this would be better left to a different thread, though a link could be left here) is there any indication that the BGG admins are aware of the adverse affect the policy has to game pages for GMT Games' games, or any other publishers that are acting or would act in a similar manner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.