Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm still in the research phase on this game (yes... I'm one of those people that spends an inordinate amount of time researching a <$20 game).

In the comments I saw
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
refer to a 7-card preview variant that seems like it should be called "7-up". I can't find any other reference to it elsewhere, and I'm intrigued and curious.

My assumption is you place out 7 cards and use a "first in, first out" method, putting the "oldest" card up for auction each turn, sliding the row down, and adding a new card next to the previously newest card so the next 7 cards are always visible.

I can see how it would make the game more tactical, but wonder if it would also introduce analysis paralysis. And I wonder if it helps mitigate the common complaints of a potential runaway leader and/or unsatisfying end-game.

Can anyone comment on their experiences using this variant? (and/or explain your version of it?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not used that variant, but what I have done is to ignore wildcards for the first round and draw a new card instead. Once we've gone round the table once, any wilcards drawn are shuffled back in and then the game is played normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vander Veen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New to me. Interesting idea. Will have to try that. Even having 3 cards face up would be an interesting shift. Advance knowledge would likely create "region" control bidding wars informed by a heads up that a payout is on its way, or not.

The official six player rules you can download from the files section has player put up 2 cards for bid. The winner gets to pick. Second highest bid claims the other card. I have yet to play this. Looking forward to giving it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mjonvv wrote:
New to me. Interesting idea. Will have to try that. Even having 3 cards face up would be an interesting shift. Advance knowledge would likely create "region" control bidding wars informed by a heads up that a payout is on its way, or not.

The number of cards (7) surprised me because it seemed like a lot. My guess is that the number is used partly because it fits the game's numbers (49 is 7 squared, $7 payout per chip, 7 rows and columns on the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mjonvv wrote:
The official six player rules you can download from the files section has player put up 2 cards for bid. The winner gets to pick. Second highest bid claims the other card. I have yet to play this. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Cool, I didn't know about this one, thanks for referencing it! Might be interesting to do the "two number card turns, one wild card turn" sequence with 5 or fewer players also (only one auction winner per turn, as usual).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
msg tools
designer
publisher
The "7-up" variant you mention sounds a bit like the 7-player variant I've worked on but have playtested only a little to date. If you know a source for the 7-up comment, please share; I'm curious.

The house rule of going once around the table before allowing a Wild/Payoff card sounds well suited to players who prefer a few moments of tranquility before the cutthroat bidding kicks in!

As you surmise, the 6-player rules with 2-card auctions can be used for games of fewer than 6 players. Download the rules, give it a try, and let me know what you think.

Thanks for continuing to support Go49.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.