Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this thread Geoff states:

Quote:
When you use the Miller or M-K events you take a card from the track and use it, but get the special Miller or MK events.

However this is still ambiguous to me.

The Miller Event reads:

Quote:
Keep this card at no CP cost. Discard to first perform the AP, then the eligible Event on an Action card on your turn.

As I interpret this (assuming I have Miller as a kept card) on my turn I may:

1) Discard this card
2) Select and remove a card from the Action Track, paying no CP
3) Spend the AP of the selected card, then
4) Perform the Action on the card, if I am an eligible faction.
5) Discard the selected card.

Is this correct?

Another possible interpretation I see is that in step 3, you spend the AP of the MILLER card (4AP).

One final question is: can you select a card with no eligible event for the AP only, simply to prevent an opponent from using it?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we understand and play it:

1) Correct
2) Select and remove a card from the Action Track, paying the CP as usual
3) Correct
4) Correct
5) Correct

Quote:
One final question is: can you select a card with no eligible event for the AP only, simply to prevent an opponent from using it?

That's a good question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
This answer is correct.

On whether you can pick a card without being eligible for the event - This actually never came up during testing. Congrats on your ingenuity (seriously)!

I am ruling that you can only use Miller on a card that has an event you are eligible for. There's no mechanism on the game for killing an event that you are not eligible for (although that's a good idea for an expansion ability).

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
.... (although that's a good idea for an expansion ability).

Geoff

Ooooohh! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r3gamer wrote:
engelstein wrote:
.... (although that's a good idea for an expansion ability).

Geoff

Ooooohh! wow

HE SAID THE E-WORD!!!
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Dixon
New Zealand
Picton
Marlborough
flag msg tools
The stars are upside-down now
badge
Neptune: 8th planet from the Sun
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope there will be an expansion. I have been disappointed with many expansions for other games never eventuating. Though I do understand it is usually just a matter of economics...having said that I will buy it. Especially with an extension board for Uranus and Neptune (and beyond?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Seabrook
United States
Saint Paris
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the basic clarification of the Miller card. This brings up the follow on question of using the Kenzo Gabriel card to activate a "kept" Miller card from another player's hand.

Question 1: If the Kenzo Gabrial card is chosen by a player on their turn and paid for in order to activate a "kept" Miller card in another player's hand, do the have to pay the additional cost for the new card gained by the MIller card?

Question 2: Is the scoring round kept card play option considered a turn for the purposes of the wording on the Miller card ("...an action card on your turn.")? Can the MIller card be played for full effect on both a regular turn AND a scoring turn that was not the holding player's turn?

Thx. Great game. Love the subtle interplay of the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Seabrook
United States
Saint Paris
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disregard answering question #2 below as I found that answer in other posts.

The the rules are certainly not clear regarding the usage of some cards. Moreover, the wording of the text is also not clear, requiring players to make assumptions. This should have become obvious during playtesting and a special card rules page should have been included in the manual.

Regardless my whinging, I am still a fan.

Question #1 stands...but I'm assuming at this point the answer is yes, which can make it a very costly event to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenzo can basically become a clone of another event a player has Kept. So he 'becomes' the Miller card, and must follow all the rules as if you had a Miller card.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Seabrook
United States
Saint Paris
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudro Brown II
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
engelstein wrote:
This answer is correct.

On whether you can pick a card without being eligible for the event - This actually never came up during testing. Congrats on your ingenuity (seriously)!

I am ruling that you can only use Miller on a card that has an event you are eligible for. There's no mechanism on the game for killing an event that you are not eligible for (although that's a good idea for an expansion ability).

Geoff

May I suggest that this card be updated if the game gets an expansion? The text on the card seems ambiguous as to whether you're playing the selected card as normal (choosing it from the track, paying the CP cost if any, then discarding it later) or just using the card (choose a card from the track, do not pay the CP cost, then leave it in place). Based on the wording of the card, our group had interpreted the card as the latter.

Also, We initially didn't interpret the "on your turn" part as excluding the Miller card from use during a Scoring Turn. Although we've since ruled that it can't be used in that situation, it's similarly ambiguous because a Scoring Turn is still someone's turn; the wording could be interpreted to allow the player selecting the Scoring Card to play Miller during the Held Card step.

Heartily enjoying the game, by the way. Our group loves the mechanics and the timer mechanism that keeps the game at about 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W.
msg tools
Perhaps it should be "instead of your normal turn", or whatever the wording is on the Protomolecule faction tech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.